The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Hi Emily,

Thanks for your help again and does it mean that I can apply with just two A levels( Maths and Further Maths)? If that is the case then I was wondering having just two A levels would be considered as competitive enough for Cambridge.
Original post by kyaung
Hi Emily,

Thanks for your help again and does it mean that I can apply with just two A levels( Maths and Further Maths)? If that is the case then I was wondering having just two A levels would be considered as competitive enough for Cambridge.

As per my earlier post, you would I think be a more competitive applicant with a third A-level, since you have no existing Level 3 qualifications; I can't wholeheartedly recommend that you apply with just two A-levels. As far as I am aware, successful applicants to St Edmund's on the whole have three A-levels or equivalent, and this is certainly true at Lucy Cavendish.
Hi, I was wondering if you could answer a query for me? I am currently studying a BSc Psychology Honours Degree at the Open University. Would this be an acceptable course to meet the requirements for studying postgrad Neuroscience at Cambridge? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Jayne311
Hi, I was wondering if you could answer a query for me? I am currently studying a BSc Psychology Honours Degree at the Open University. Would this be an acceptable course to meet the requirements for studying postgrad Neuroscience at Cambridge? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the slight delay responding! I can't see why a BSc in Psychology would not provide appropriate preparation for Neuroscience at Cambridge, assuming you have taken relevant options in the course of your study. And we have certainly admitted postgrads from the OU to Lucy Cavendish in the past, in a variety of subjects. The minimum requirement for both the MPhil and PhD in Neuroscience is a 2.1, though entry is competitive so the closer you are to a First, the better, in my view.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for this helpful thread!

I am interested in applying for Music at Cambridge as a mature student at some point in the future. I am 33 and my long-ago school grades are not reflective of my current abilities (mostly due to extenuating circumstances at the time). Assuming that at the time I apply I have ABRSM Grade 8 practical and theory, thereby fulfilling the musical requirements of the course, what else might the admissions team be interested in seeing from me to demonstrate that I would be successful on it? I believe that the theory/practical exams would be considered equivalent to a Music A-level or a Music Access diploma, so I assume those wouldn't be good choices. Perhaps other subjects, such as languages or maths? Do you have any thoughts about this?

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Flapdoodle
Hi there,

Thank you so much for this helpful thread!

I am interested in applying for Music at Cambridge as a mature student at some point in the future. I am 33 and my long-ago school grades are not reflective of my current abilities (mostly due to extenuating circumstances at the time). Assuming that at the time I apply I have ABRSM Grade 8 practical and theory, thereby fulfilling the musical requirements of the course, what else might the admissions team be interested in seeing from me to demonstrate that I would be successful on it? I believe that the theory/practical exams would be considered equivalent to a Music A-level or a Music Access diploma, so I assume those wouldn't be good choices. Perhaps other subjects, such as languages or maths? Do you have any thoughts about this?

Thank you!

Assuming that by the time you apply you have ABRSM Grade 8 practical and theory, any other qualifications equivalent to two A-levels would be absolutely fine. You're right, those two A-levels shouldn't include Music (since you'd already effectively have that), and Cambridge generally isn't keen on Music Technology; History, English, German, French, and Italian would all be good, however, as would Maths or even Physics. If you can't easily complete A-levels, in person or on-line, you could consider an Access to HE Diploma or a Certificate of Higher Education with a relevant 'core' (e.g. Humanities); I'd be happy to advise further on any course you find that seems appealing.
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Assuming that by the time you apply you have ABRSM Grade 8 practical and theory, any other qualifications equivalent to two A-levels would be absolutely fine. You're right, those two A-levels shouldn't include Music (since you'd already effectively have that), and Cambridge generally isn't keen on Music Technology; History, English, German, French, and Italian would all be good, however, as would Maths or even Physics. If you can't easily complete A-levels, in person or on-line, you could consider an Access to HE Diploma or a Certificate of Higher Education with a relevant 'core' (e.g. Humanities); I'd be happy to advise further on any course you find that seems appealing.

Thanks so much! I was thinking along those lines, but it's great to have that confirmation/guidance. I'm pretty certain I would opt for the A-levels, so no further questions for the moment - just wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond so comprehensively!
Reply 347
Hello Emily,

I would like to apply for PBS in March, at St Edmund's. I contacted the Director of Studies for PBS to find out if written work/test is required. He said written work is required & there will be a preparatory exercise before interview. I also contacted St Edmund's Admissions & they said there will be a 1 hour essay test at interview. Is it possible you could please contact St Edmund's?

Best wishes,

Zamir
Original post by Zamir07
Hello Emily,

I would like to apply for PBS in March, at St Edmund's. I contacted the Director of Studies for PBS to find out if written work/test is required. He said written work is required & there will be a preparatory exercise before interview. I also contacted St Edmund's Admissions & they said there will be a 1 hour essay test at interview. Is it possible you could please contact St Edmund's?

Best wishes,

Zamir

I have contacted the St Edmund's Admissions Tutor on your behalf, and will keep you posted. For now, however, I recommend that you focus on your Access Diploma studies; whether you take a test or a preparatory exercise at interview will make less difference to your chances of success than good marks on your current course.
Hello there,

Emily is on leave at the moment, so I'm monitoring this thread. I am the outreach ambassador for the mature colleges.

The Lucy specific answer to this question is that our Domestic Bursar receives a list of new graduates in August, and makes accommodation offers at that point. I haven't asked the Bursar at either Corpus or St. Catharine's about their timing, but it may well be the same. Apparently only late applicants (August) to Lucy are at risk of losing out on college accommodation.

Hope that helps!

Isobel

Original post by Ikidyounot.
Hi Emily,

Thanks for this thread! I have an accommodation-related query.

I know accommodation is college specific, however I would like to know how likely it is for graduate offer holders to be allocated their college of choice, and also college accommodation, at this point in the application cycle. For context: I applied for a social science MPhil on January 9th, submitted by research proposal on January 24th, interview on 31st, called Admissions today- I have a conditional offer but they haven't got round to processing it, self-service says 'Awaiting Consideration by BoGS'.

There is information here (http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges/key-facts-and-figures) on the likelihood of being offered accommodation by a specific college, but I imagine that there are fewer places now, after all undergraduates and some graduates have been made offers/ accommodation?

My first choice is Corpus Christi, my second St Catherine's, however would appreciate anything you know, even if it's Lucy Cavendish specific.

Kind regards
Original post by Zamir07
Hi Isobel,

Could you please let me know apart from Natural Sciences, is there a subject you can study Biological Sciences in or with?

Best wishes,

Zamir

Dear Zamir,

The Psychological and Behavioural Sciences Tripos overlaps at some points with Natural Sciences. If you follow this link, you will find the course structure, and see that you can borrow from N.Sciences in the third year. That option will probably rely on taking a particular set of papers in the first and second years.

http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/structure

Best, Isobel
Original post by QuidditchFan
Hi emily,
For people who would like to do a second undergraduate degree e.g. HSPS, is there any financial help available?

It depends on residential status. There is some financial help available to overseas students, via the Cambridge Trusts. The funds available to home/EU students wishing to complete a second undergraduate degree are more limited, and such students do not qualify for SFE support. The main options are savings and career development loans, unfortunately.
Just to let everyone know that the UCAS application function is actually off-line this weekend, but Cambridge will continue accepting March Round applications until March 2. So if you're trying to submit an application this Round, don't panic, there is still time!
Hi Isobel,
I have applied to Hughes Hall and I am an international applicant. Cambridge doesn't conduct interviews in my country and the cost of travel to UK ,visa fees are expensive and also it would take a month to get visa approval.Would it be possible to request them for skype interview.When will the admissions office start giving offers.
Original post by mnjkmr321
Hi Isobel,
I have applied to Hughes Hall and I am an international applicant. Cambridge doesn't conduct interviews in my country and the cost of travel to UK ,visa fees are expensive and also it would take a month to get visa approval.Would it be possible to request them for skype interview.When will the admissions office start giving offers.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to ask them to interview you by Skype, if you are shortlisted, yes. I cannot tell you exactly when offers are likely to go out from Hughes Hall, but the final deadline for decisions is April 25.
Hello there,

Thank u for what u are doing here! it's really great!
I am an BSc honours biomed science grad from a UK university with a 2.1. I was hoping to apply for cambridge but instead i applied for imperial. Ii'm an international. I have the offer in my hand. I want to ask u, since u are an admission tutor, would u think i would stand a chance of getting a full schol from imperial or cambridge? I've done 2 research projects and did a 3 months internship at a leading hospital in my country.
Doesn't matter how harsh the answer is, just want an honest opinion from someone who knows the field.
Original post by emu1111
Hello there,

Thank u for what u are doing here! it's really great!
I am an BSc honours biomed science grad from a UK university with a 2.1. I was hoping to apply for cambridge but instead i applied for imperial. Ii'm an international. I have the offer in my hand. I want to ask u, since u are an admission tutor, would u think i would stand a chance of getting a full schol from imperial or cambridge? I've done 2 research projects and did a 3 months internship at a leading hospital in my country.
Doesn't matter how harsh the answer is, just want an honest opinion from someone who knows the field.

Can I just check please, what exactly are you applying for?
Thank u..!! I applied for MRes cancer bio in imperial.:s-smilie:
The UCAS website is down until Monday (March 2nd). What are the chances of an extension to the application deadline for second round mature applicants?

Cheers.
Original post by Velasco
The UCAS website is down until Monday (March 2nd). What are the chances of an extension to the application deadline for second round mature applicants?

Cheers.

Hi, I did post about this a few hours ago but I guess it got lost in the thread! The mature colleges are all happy to extend the deadline and will accept applications submitted up until the end of March 2. (UCAS functionality should be restored at 8am.)

Latest

Trending

Trending