The Student Room Group

1 A level and 2 btecs. Please help, I can't stop crying

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cookies4623
Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs. I plan to go to uni and get a masters, but thats another story. It would be okay if it was 2 a levels and 1 btec, as it shows I would be leaning towards 'acadmic' skills rather than 'practical'. It too late to resit the year and choose different courses. What am i going to do?? Am i going to be considered 'dumb' by employers and people in general? I'm predicted distinction*distinction*A* but i feel like that's not going to be enough now. I know im a little frantic right now but I feel like I've unintentionally ruined my life and employment chances and theres nothing I can do.

It is too late to beat yourself up about it so try your best and succeed in what you are doing now and forget about what other people think.
Behold how status anxiety destroys young people
Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs. I plan to go to uni and get a masters, but thats another story. It would be okay if it was 2 a levels and 1 btec, as it shows I would be leaning towards 'acadmic' skills rather than 'practical'. It too late to resit the year and choose different courses. What am i going to do?? Am i going to be considered 'dumb' by employers and people in general? I'm predicted distinction*distinction*A* but i feel like that's not going to be enough now. I know im a little frantic right now but I feel like I've unintentionally ruined my life and employment chances and theres nothing I can do.

I have a btec level 3 in health and social care and AS Biology, and no one looks down to me, and if anything they call me smart. I got 5 uni offers, including from Leeds, UEA, Reading, Sussex and Portsmouth. 3 of them were unconditional (Reading, Portsmouth, Sussex), just because of the BTEC, while UEA just wanted me to pass GCSE Maths (thats another story). So the moral is: unis now accept BTEC. In fact, Sussex chose me for their Unconditional Offer Scheme, which is for the best applicants, and it allows me to get an excellence scholarship. Just because of the BTEC. When comes to jobs, you are more likely to get into a job with a BTEC. At sixth form level, the majority of employers are more interested in practical experience, rather than academic qualifcations. I'm not making up this: I saw a report on TV about it and how employers want students with more experience, rather than top grades. Also, many of my BTEC classmates that decided to not go to uni are now working. And you have done double business, which is nothing you should be ashamed of! And lastly: when you finish your degree and masters, it won't matter if you have A-LEVEL or BTEC. It really won't trust me. Cheer up. The whole BTEC vs A-level is pretty no-sense. Feel proud of your achievements. Thats all that matters!
Original post by BitxiBitxina
I have a btec level 3 in health and social care and AS Biology, and no one looks down to me, and if anything they call me smart. I got 5 uni offers, including from Leeds, UEA, Reading, Sussex and Portsmouth. 3 of them were unconditional (Reading, Portsmouth, Sussex), just because of the BTEC, while UEA just wanted me to pass GCSE Maths (thats another story). So the moral is: unis now accept BTEC. In fact, Sussex chose me for their Unconditional Offer Scheme, which is for the best applicants, and it allows me to get an excellence scholarship. Just because of the BTEC. When comes to jobs, you are more likely to get into a job with a BTEC. At sixth form level, the majority of employers are more interested in practical experience, rather than academic qualifcations. I'm not making up this: I saw a report on TV about it and how employers want students with more experience, rather than top grades. Also, many of my BTEC classmates that decided to not go to uni are now working. And you have done double business, which is nothing you should be ashamed of! And lastly: when you finish your degree and masters, it won't matter if you have A-LEVEL or BTEC. It really won't trust me. Cheer up. The whole BTEC vs A-level is pretty no-sense. Feel proud of your achievements. Thats all that matters!

Really? If i got a 2:1 first degree BA/MA, is that all that matters? Peope really dont care what you got in A level after uni?
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Behold how status anxiety destroys young people

Tell me about it. Ths whole ordeal had me bursting into tears during my mock exam 'cause I was thinking 'What's the point if regardless what I do I'll be disrespected forever?'
I have a btec level 3 in health and social care and an A-Level in Biology, and no one looks down to me, and if anything they call me smart. I got 5 uni offers, including from Leeds, UEA, Reading, Sussex and Portsmouth. 3 of them were unconditional (Reading, Portsmouth, Sussex), just because of the BTEC, while UEA just wanted me to pass GCSE Maths (thats another story). So the moral is: unis now accept BTEC. In fact, Sussex chose me for their Unconditional Offer Scheme, which is for the best applicants, and it allows me to get an excellence scholarship. Just because of the BTEC. When comes to job, you are more likely to get into a job with a BTEC. At sixth form level, the majority of employers are more interested in practical experience, rather than academic qualifcations. And you have done double business, which is nothing you should be ashamed of! And lastly: when you finish your degree and masters, it won't matter if you have A-LEVEL or BTEC. It really won't trust me.Really? If i got a 2:1 first degree BA/MA, is that all that matters? Peope really dont care what you got in A level after uni?

Do people care about GCSES after sixth form? No (just english and maths for uni). If you are going to uni, the degree/master will overshadow everything else. Just work hard on your degree, and that's it. Look and search job descriptions. Ask adults about their jobs. When it is time to get a real job, only a good degree and/or good experience will help you. I have heard about people that have even lied about their secondary school/ sixth form qualifications for jobs, and no one even checks because it is about experience and/or your degree! We all know care because we are young and because we think it is cool saying "Oh I had AAA in my A-levels!" but except for uni entrance and personal satisfaction, it doesn't matter that much! I have a job myself, and no one checked for my qualifications: they didn't even ask for them! It is only part-time, but still, it gets me going. And after uni, my degree will be what will help me to get a proper job.
So, judging by what everyone has said:
even though BTEC's are considered equivalent by unis and such, I will be held in disregard by people in general because I took 2 BTECS and 1 A level. Even if I get Distinction*Distinction*A* i will be disrespected. Even if i get a 2:1 first degree and a MA later, I will be disrespected because it is not seen as a academic subject. Even though I chose these subjects with full knowledge that I could have gone the 'Full A level route' I will still be disrespected.
great.
Original post by BitxiBitxina
Do people care about GCSES after sixth form? No (just english and maths for uni). If you are going to uni, the degree/master will overshadow everything else. Just work hard on your degree, and that's it. Look and search job descriptions. Ask adults about their jobs. When it is time to get a real job, only a good degree and/or good experience will help you. I have heard about people that have even lied about their secondary school/ sixth form qualifications for jobs, and no one even checks because it is about experience and/or your degree! We all know care because we are young and because we think it is cool saying "Oh I had AAA in my A-levels!" but except for uni entrance and personal satisfaction, it doesn't matter that much! I have a job myself, and no one checked for my qualifications: they didn't even ask for them! It is only part-time, but still, it gets me going. And after uni, my degree will be what will help me to get a proper job.

...thats actually true!! After gcse i dont think (other than results day) anyone asked me what I got during my time in sixth form. Maybe because it's the general attitude that 'youre in sixth form so you couldnt have got bad grades.' Youre saying its the same attitude in Uni. 'Oh youre in Uni so you couldnt have got bad grades.' ( particulary if its a good uni).
so, would you say that Gsces merely 'build the bridge' to A levels, and A levels merely 'build the bridge' to Uni?
even though BTEC's are considered equivalent by unis and such, I will be held in disregard by people in general because I took 2 BTECS and 1 A level. Even if I get Distinction*Distinction*A* i will be disrespected. Even if i get a 2:1 first degree and a MA later, I will be disrespected because it is not seen as a academic subject. Even though I chose these subjects with full knowledge that I could have gone the 'Full A level route' I will still be disrespected.
great.

You won't be disrespected as such but people might be a little bit criticizing of you. Stop caring about what people think about you..

Are you happy to have an offer from university? If yes then worrying about what people will think is pointless. You're not exactly going to bump into a graduate from Cambridge in 5 years time and have them interrogate you and criticize you on where you attended or what qualifications you have..

You're more likely to be criticized for using an apostrophe in BTECs than what you are going to be criticized when you graduate
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Binary Freak
You won't be disrespected as such but people might be a little bit criticizing of you. Stop caring about what people think about you..

Are you happy to have an offer from university? If yes then worrying about what people will think is pointless. You're not exactly going to bump into a graduate from Cambridge in 5 years time and have them interrogate you and criticize you on where you attended or what qualifications you have..

You're more likely to be criticized for using an apostrophe in BTECs than what you are going to be criticized when you graduate

Oh my god :colondollar: apologies. The grammer nazi's on youtube more than prove your last statement xD
Oh my god :colondollar: apologies. The grammer nazi's on youtube more than prove your last statement xD

No worries.. People on Youtube are a bit dense though :confused:

But seriously.. Stop worrying about what people think of you.. If they think of you in a bad regard then do what I do :cool:
No worries.. People on Youtube are a bit dense though :confused:

But seriously.. Stop worrying about what people think of you.. If they think of you in a bad regard then do what I do :cool:

Bless 'em.

yeah I suppose so. Maybe i need a drink, loosen up a bit xD from what I can tell, A levels/btecs are pretty much forgotten after degrees. Its more about how many points you get at A level compared to what subjects and what grade you got specifically. And if you have a degree, then all the more I suppose. From what I can tell, employers only consult A levels if they have two very similar candidates and need a bit of back up :P
Bless 'em.

yeah I suppose so. Maybe i need a drink, loosen up a bit xD from what I can tell, A levels/btecs are pretty much forgotten after degrees. Its more about how many points you get at A level compared to what subjects and what grade you got specifically. And if you have a degree, then all the more I suppose. From what I can tell, employers only consult A levels if they have two very similar candidates and need a bit of back up :P

Yeah you do :lol:

That will also depend on some of the roles. Some of them actually have UCAS as a requirement but others don't and if 2 applicants are relatively similar in terms of qualifications and experience.. Then again it'd depend on the field.. That's why some places have aptitude tests. So they can get very best. Some will even do questions at an interview.. Very common in IT! :smile:
Yeah you do :lol:

That will also depend on some of the roles. Some of them actually have UCAS as a requirement but others don't and if 2 applicants are relatively similar in terms of qualifications and experience.. Then again it'd depend on the field.. That's why some places have aptitude tests. So they can get very best. Some will even do questions at an interview.. Very common in IT! :smile:

Im just programmed to worry too much about silly things xD

Most of them seem to require a 'strong' degree, 2:1 or above. But that being said there are a lot of UCAS points you have to get a minimum of. I suppose if the the two candidates were similar in degree AND A levels, they might turn to GCSEs as well. But yeah, like you said, depends on the field/job etc.
in terms of A levels/BTEC as long as you show youve got a grade/points i guess thats it really.
But eh, I'll try and worry about that AFTER i get my degree :P after all, 550 ucas points cant be bad :P
Im just programmed to worry too much about silly things xD

Most of them seem to require a 'strong' degree, 2:1 or above. But that being said there are a lot of UCAS points you have to get a minimum of. I suppose if the the two candidates were similar in degree AND A levels, they might turn to GCSEs as well. But yeah, like you said, depends on the field/job etc.
in terms of A levels/BTEC as long as you show youve got a grade/points i guess thats it really.
But eh, I'll try and worry about that AFTER i get my degree :P after all, 550 ucas points cant be bad :P

Haha guess so and yeah.. They won't go far back as GCSEs.. That'd just be pointless! :smile:
That said.. My UCAS points aren't great.. I attended a niche college that had extreme requirements and often times lead to the average assignment being 10000 words long. :tongue:
Haha guess so and yeah.. They won't go far back as GCSEs.. That'd just be pointless! :smile:
That said.. My UCAS points aren't great.. I attended a niche college that had extreme requirements and often times lead to the average assignment being 10000 words long. :tongue:

Woah really? 10000 words? Bear in mind, if you have an interview they'll take that into consideration and like you said, they would take someone who had a intelligent and considerate personality with low ucas points over someone who is arragont and self obssessed with high ucas points.
Woah really? 10000 words? Bear in mind, if you have an interview they'll take that into consideration and like you said, they would take someone who had a intelligent and considerate personality with low ucas points over someone who is arragont and self obssessed with high ucas points.

Yeah.. It was a pain.. But I knew the course inside and out by the end of it! They probably won't care about my BTEC assuming I'm applying for an IT job since I'm already certified and got an exam with Cisco coming up soon. But :yes: employers definitely prefer someone that isn't so self obsessed! :smile:
Reply 137
Nothing you can do, get over it.

It dosent make you any less of a person, there's kids with no qualifications in high positions.
great.

So, after we have all spent time replying to your thread and generally trying to get across to you the idea that there's more to life than what qualifications you do, you are STILL obsessed with how people will see you? Great.

Seriously, I know it's hard but you need to a get a grip! If you feel confident in yourself and are happy with your life and your choices, everyone else will be. Those who look down on you or critisize are unhappy with their own life and their own choices and are trying to make themselves feel better. By caring so much about what people think you are beginning to sound self obsessed! No one will ask about your A levels once you have a degree. The degree you have is what tends to define you, not your education before that.
Yeah.. It was a pain.. But I knew the course inside and out by the end of it! They probably won't care about my BTEC assuming I'm applying for an IT job since I'm already certified and got an exam with Cisco coming up soon. But :yes: employers definitely prefer someone that isn't so self obsessed! :smile:

Tbh from what I can tell, it dosent matter wether you do btecs or a levels. They're just different ways of getting the points. Unless it was a job that specifically stated a grade/ subject at a level, but it seems to be the minority that do that. For example, to be a tax accountant at a £600 million company might mean you will have to have a 2:1 degree and a A level in maths and 220 ucas points (from a genuine job description I saw) whereas a CEO of a company might need a 2:1 degree and a minimum of 320 ucas points. A marine scientist might need a 2:1 degree and 340 ucas points, or an IT tech manager might require 220 ucas minimum and a A level or BTEC in IT.
But when you take A levels you probably already have a career in mind and so you base your subjects around that so the likely hood of you not getting the right qualifications are unlikely, unless you have a change of heart halway through. But even then...points...
your btec wont matter. If anything btecs show that you are more qualified for the workplace. An a level in IT might be good for those who want to build computers compared to someone who does a btec who might be more inclined to get a job in coding and programming (idk for sure if thats what you had in mind)
bottom line is, apart from the minority of businesses, most of them will go on degrees and points from ucas. (I assume)

Quick Reply

Latest