The Student Room Group

1 A level and 2 btecs. Please help, I can't stop crying

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cookies4623
Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs. I plan to go to uni and get a masters, but thats another story. It would be okay if it was 2 a levels and 1 btec, as it shows I would be leaning towards 'acadmic' skills rather than 'practical'. It too late to resit the year and choose different courses. What am i going to do?? Am i going to be considered 'dumb' by employers and people in general? I'm predicted distinction*distinction*A* but i feel like that's not going to be enough now. I know im a little frantic right now but I feel like I've unintentionally ruined my life and employment chances and theres nothing I can do.

listen, doing BTECS doesnt make you dumber than anyone else. what do you want to go into? As a matter of fact I am doing two BTEC'S and One A-level and I still got offers from Aston and Kent to study Business Management. Look at what course you want to get into. Call universities to see who will take you on. People will always say what they want, but foing BTECS wont put you at a disadvantage over everyone else in terms of universities. In fact, universities have to take on a few Btec applicants, all you have to do is work hard with the subjects you have. Go get a place at a university that you like, even through clearing, get a 2:1 degree at least or even a 1st and then what can an employer say then? Your A-levels/BTECS and GSCE's will become irrelevant once you have a degree.
Why retake the year?
Also have a look at this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2975029
Original post by lisamb
Have you completed a BTEC Diploma/Extended Diploma? If you haven't then I'm afraid you can't judge how hard we work. I'm currently finishing a work placement, undergoing a research project (most comparable with the EPQ), and completing a lot more coursework than you're clearly aware of (to distinction). On top of that I have university interviews to prepare for.

They may well be your nurses, builders and engineers one day.

I haven't, but the point is moot; you don't have to go to both Imperial and London Met to know that one is better than the other. Direct participation in something is not the only way to judge its merit or difficulty, it's facile to suggest otherwise.

You really shouldn't have taken my comment personally. I'm sorry you were offended.
Original post by tara rose
listen, doing BTECS doesnt make you dumber than anyone else. what do you want to go into? As a matter of fact I am doing two BTEC'S and One A-level and I still got offers from Aston and Kent to study Business Management. Look at what course you want to get into. Call universities to see who will take you on. People will always say what they want, but foing BTECS wont put you at a disadvantage over everyone else in terms of universities. In fact, universities have to take on a few Btec applicants, all you have to do is work hard with the subjects you have. Go get a place at a university that you like, even through clearing, get a 2:1 degree at least or even a 1st and then what can an employer say then? Your A-levels/BTECS and GSCE's will become irrelevant once you have a degree.
Why retake the year?
Also have a look at this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2975029

Lol Aston and Kent.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Lol Aston and Kent.

what about aston and kent????
still quite reputable uni's
Original post by StrangeBanana
I haven't, but the point is moot; you don't have to go to both Imperial and London Met to know that one is better than the other. Direct participation in something is not the only way to judge its merit or difficulty, it's facile to suggest otherwise.

You really shouldn't have taken my comment personally. I'm sorry you were offended.

That's the problem with generalizations. They will always offend someone because they feel as though they're being targeted. It is needless to say that you'll often get students from any university and on any course that work hard and in many cases are very driven. But when they feel as they're being degraded then they will speak up. Yeah the harsh reality is that generally [X] university/course is mostly accommodated with the less driven, but then as mentioned, you get those students that attend [X] university/course because it is more focused towards their aspirations. Not everyone wants to do A-level Physics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics, and/or attend a reputable university. :smile:

Hope it makes sense! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cookies4623
Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs. I plan to go to uni and get a masters, but thats another story. It would be okay if it was 2 a levels and 1 btec, as it shows I would be leaning towards 'acadmic' skills rather than 'practical'. It too late to resit the year and choose different courses. What am i going to do?? Am i going to be considered 'dumb' by employers and people in general? I'm predicted distinction*distinction*A* but i feel like that's not going to be enough now. I know im a little frantic right now but I feel like I've unintentionally ruined my life and employment chances and theres nothing I can do.

Btecs are fabulous qualification. You have to be working all the time. To get distinction criteria you need to have covered all the syllabus and shown independent study too.

unis accept them and employers look favourably on people who have practical as well as academic skills.

How do I know all this. I have taught btecs at level 3 and seen students go easily into both higher education and to employment. I'm also married to someone who in the past has been in a position to interview and employ computer programmers. He tells me that btec students have not only brilliant academic and practical skills but also appear to have better social skill.

stop worrying. You are in a great position. Continue working hard for you distinctions when possible ( not easy are they) and don't let people with no understanding of them even hint that they are second rate. As you are doing a level too, you have first hand knowledge to make a favourable comparison.
Original post by maggiehodgson
Btecs are fabulous qualification. You have to be working all the time. To get distinction criteria you need to have covered all the syllabus and shown independent study too.

unis accept them and employers look favourably on people who have practical as well as academic skills.

How do I know all this. I have taught btecs at level 3 and seen students go easily into both higher education and to employment. I'm also married to someone who in the past has been in a position to interview and employ computer programmers. He tells me that btec students have not only brilliant academic and practical skills but also appear to have better social skill.

stop worrying. You are in a great position. Continue working hard for you distinctions when possible ( not easy are they) and don't let people with no understanding of them even hint that they are second rate. As you are doing a level too, you have first hand knowledge to make a favourable comparison.

I'm screenshotting this, just made me feel loads better :smile:
i suppose I can understand why people say BTECs are for those who are less academic, because admittedly it is more relaxed, but like you say it isn't easy. I normally put in 4 hours a day at school dedicated to finishing as much work as possible, and then another 4/5 hours at home. Not including the time i use to revise for my drama exam. I honestly don't know how people do 18 units...I wouldn't find time to sleep for fear of not completing all my work xD
there are some people who take btecs and it is these people which give them a bad name. Like extremist feminists or Christians I suppose.
So...taking double BTEC business and A level drama at A level dosen't mean I'm not academic? I mean, I would say I've gotten good grades my entire life, but still...
another thing that gets me is that if someone said they got AAA at A level, but two of their subjects are completely based around coursework people would still respect them simply because its an A level. But as soon as it's called a different name (BTEC) people instantly turn their nose up.
Original post by Binary Freak
Depends on the grades you get and who you talk to. Typically the ones looking down and degrading BTECs are those that're failing A-level and are having a little breakdown.

I'm pretty certain that isn't the case… If anything the ones that are doing well at A-level disregard BTECs even more...
That's the problem with generalizations. They will always offend someone because they feel as though they're being targeted. It is needless to say that you'll often get students from any university and on any course that work hard and in many cases are very driven. But when they feel as they're being degraded then they will speak up. Yeah the harsh reality is that generally [X] university/course is mostly accommodated with the less driven, but then as mentioned, you get those students that attend [X] university/course because it is more focused towards their aspirations.

It's a problem with the people choosing to take offence, instead of thinking rationally. Everyone can have their aspirations, doesn't mean we can't compare academic difficulty of courses and qualifications.

Not everyone wants or has the ability to do A-level Physics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics, and/or attend a reputable university.

Fixed that for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's a problem with the people choosing to take offence, instead of thinking rationally. Everyone can have their aspirations, doesn't mean we can't compare academic difficulty of courses and qualifications.

Fixed that for you.

Comparing academic difficulty is fine, I can agree with it entirely, but when it gives someone doubt about the value of their course, or their future for that matter then as mentioned in the other thread, best kept in and it is the responsibility of the individual not to take offence. If I wanted to I could find fault in all the A-level subjects, similarly with the BTEC. Our entire education system is at fault.
With regards to BTEC it depends on each individual institution, some have regards for the standards, and some don't. If schools/colleges were more strict with the aforementioned framework then you'd have less of the delinquents studying it because they wouldn't be able to simply copy and paste work, as the institution would have systems such as turnitin in place. Most people do forget that some of the most appropriate BTEC courses have the same academic requirements to their A-level counterpart. E.g. Extended Diploma in IT in some (I would hope most) cases have similar requirements to A-level Computing. Anyway, I won't sit here endlessly defending the BTEC framework since I know the ratio of lazy working: hard working is far too great to even bother doing so. The effort just becomes counterintuitive but if I'm attacked, or if another hard working individual is then I will bother. Much similarly to how anyone with any respect would.

I do somewhat agree that not everyone has the mentality to study such subjects, but on a level of realism, provided the person has enough drive, and provided the person is academic focused then both are equally doable. Their ability is a contributing factor but on a larger scale the drive they have is more significant, hence why people 'step up their game' during A-levels.. Nobody would get straight As if they didn't have the drive, even if people did, it'd only be a select few. Sure the fact is inescapable that some people need to work harder than others, but with enough drive this wouldn't be too much of an issue, people would still achieve.

Anyway, I won't sit on here and defend something that I don't feel is attacking me. I do hope you understand where I'm coming from though!

Original post by Deltasierra27
I'm pretty certain that isn't the case… If anything the ones that are doing well at A-level disregard BTECs even more...
They will possible be more likely to disregard the equivalence of the subject, but they wouldn't go as far to attack a student on some baseless thought they have. Besides, this would just be depend on your own person experience given people on here are from different areas, therefore, would have different experiences and thoughts on this topic. People from my area didn't really care since the institution generally took more care in making sure the standard was as high as possible. But sure, fact of the matter is students from a BTEC are generally less academically driven, this fact is inescapable, but some more specific degrees will take priority over A-level students. Just depends on the suitability really. Some universities are less academic focused, whereas some are more focused on the vocational aspect. Hence why some places have modules that're more practical.

Anyway, I won't sit on here and defend something that I don't feel is attacking me. I do hope you understand where I'm coming from though!
(edited 9 years ago)
Comparing academic difficulty is fine, I can agree with it entirely

Okay.

I do somewhat agree that not everyone has the mentality to study such subjects, but on a level of realism, provided the person has enough drive, and provided the person is academic focused then both are equally doable. Their ability is a contributing factor but on a larger scale the drive they have is more significant, hence why people 'step up their game' during A-levels.. Nobody would get straight As if they didn't have the drive, even if people did, it'd only be a select few. Sure the fact is inescapable that some people need to work harder than others, but with enough drive this wouldn't be too much of an issue, people would still achieve.

That is simply not true. We can all be starry-eyed about it and pretend natural ability isn't an absolutely enormous factor in students' attainment, but ultimately we all know otherwise. We can talk about "drive" and how if you have enough "drive" you can achieve anything; the fact is you can't, and we shouldn't lie to kids by telling them you can. The aim should be to give it your best shot.
Okay.

That is simply not true. We can all be starry-eyed about it and pretend natural ability isn't an absolutely enormous factor in students' attainment, but ultimately we all know otherwise. We can talk about "drive" and how if you have enough "drive" you can achieve anything; the fact is you can't, and we shouldn't lie to kids by telling them you can.

Since this doesn't seem very argumentative and has some strong points.

Yeah ability is a great factor. I do take that back. But students that're trying, and putting an attempt into their future shouldn't be subject to being called a waste. Like many people consider a BTEC. For some it is an entry to something. For others it is an extra year for benefits (This annoys me beyond belief) and for others it is just purely because they want to go straight onto something specific. Or because the field they wish to enter is more vocational. (I won't explain this further because I feel as though it'd be going off topic).

Of course we shouldn't be telling our children they can do it. Especially when they can't. Life isn't a fantasy world. That's obvious. Although people on here try and make it that way.

The aim should be to give it your best shot.

This is all anyone can ask for. But those that're genuinely trying to make something of themselves shouldn't be subject to scrutiny by those with skewed vision.
the fact is you can't

this

imo this is partly due to the majority of students wanting to go to uni despite in not being in their best interests. personally i think that uni should be primarily for academic subjects and people that are not studying these should be introduced to alternative pathways (apprenticeships, BTECs, etc) and not fed the mentality that uni is the only option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silentshadows
this

imo this is partly due to the majority of students wanting to go to uni despite in not being in their best interests. personally i think that uni should be primarily for academic subjects and people that are not studying these should be introduced to alternative pathways (apprenticeships, BTECs, etc) and not fed the mentality that uni is the only option

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uni is not the only option but sometimes. Depending on the vocational course that someone studied it should be considered since it'd be far easy to have the degree beforehand as opposed to waiting until the employer wants you to have one for a promotion; very common in the IT field.

Otherwise I do see where you're coming from. :smile:
Uni is not the only option but sometimes. Depending on the vocational course that someone studied it should be considered since it'd be far easy to have the degree beforehand as opposed to waiting until the employer wants you to have one for a promotion; very common in the IT field.

Otherwise I do see where you're coming from. :smile:

i didn't say it is, that's the point i was getting at

its especially evident on tsr with all the 'omg my life will be ruined if i don't get into uni :frown: :frown: :frown:' threads and people need to realise that for some subjects alternative pathways are just as (if not more due to the workplace experience) than a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silentshadows
i didn't say it is, that's the point i was getting at

its especially evident on tsr with all the 'omg my life will be ruined if i don't get into uni :frown: :frown: :frown:' threads and people need to realise that for some subjects alternative pathways are just as (if not more due to the workplace experience) than a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well we all know that most of the users on TSR are catered little children that know little/nothing about the outside and big wide world. The common mistake is that they believe being an RG offer holder means they have the world figured out! :smile:
So is there any way to resit my as/A level exams alongside my degree? Yes i know, a levels arnt really useful after degrees, yes I know it'll cost, yes I know the effort involved is massive, but im willing to do all that.
can someone tell me how I would go about resitting my AS exams without resitting the year? Is there a way I can do it alongside me degree if i was willing to self teach?
Original post by TheUrbanTurban
I'm sorry but you shouldn't have picked ****ty subjects, if you had picked proper subjects you wouldn't be in this mess. Hope you fail.

**** off. I came here for advice. If you can't offer that then go back to growing a pair of balls, ****.
I'm sorry but you shouldn't have picked ****ty subjects, if you had picked proper subjects you wouldn't be in this mess. Hope you fail.

Who even uses the 'troll face' for an avatar?
(edited 9 years ago)
I took it as a piss easy subject, I have History, Classical Civilisations and Law all of which are recognised by decent universities, unlike the BTEC and Theatre studies this degenerate took.

The world's your oyster with those A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest