Gamer culture remains rude and decidedly MALE DOMINATED - STUDY finds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I wish I had muscles and wasn't a stick insect :emo:

Original post by Zargabaath
REAL men have curves

They get it

:awesome:
To Smash I have you on ignore please stop quoting me.
Only because I've figured out her game :biggrin:

I even suggested some exanples to pacify your agenda OP.

Stop.trying to recreate #Gamergate on TSR
(edited 8 years ago)
Big budget games are generally marketed towards males, who are the much bigger audience. Companies will naturally cater to the bigger fanbase, not the smaller one. If more females start playing games, then perhaps developers would cater to them too.
(edited 8 years ago)
You make a product to sell to YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE, not the PC police.
I do won wonder though, what sample of games and communities was the analysis based upon? The communities and games your average 14 year old teen boy will play, or the ones targeted at perhaps more mature and/or casual audiences. The audiences are very different, hence the communities, types of games, settings, reasonable character inclusions etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k3ro

Characters that are more diverse would be a start. Why should 90% of game protagonists be white males?

play pretty much any MMO or RPG, even console games now can allow you to make any skin colour, gender and ethnicity. Wow, SWTOR, Skyrim, DA, Rift the list goes on.

Original post by Daenerys...
I agree that thanks to feminism women are now a big demographic in the gaming community and also that sexism is on the decline since more and more women are dipping their toes in the hypermasculine gaming culture and smashing female stereotypes. However, sexism is still ubiquitous and by no means eradicated in even the most non-male specific games like World of Warcraft and MineCraft. I feel that male members of the gaming community who are deferential, such as yourself, to the treatment of their female counterparts can help speed up the eradication of sexist lad banter in mainstream games.

Erm excuse me. I have played Wow for many years and whilst i am certainly no elite gamer (which tbh is where a lot of the issues comes) I have never seen this so much vaunted "woman hating". I have in guilds and groups with males and females.I have spent hours in stormwind and Orgimmar.and rarely seen it and even it does come out there are equally as many who take offense to it.

Original post by mrfletch
I've seen my girlfriend harassed on xbox and heard enough other stories to know that this is a real issue. I'm guessing the gamers who do this often don't really have many female friends as 'nerd culture' is quite male-heavy and so they mightn't have too much respect for the opposite sex. That, or they take out their frustration over not getting any female attention IRL out on girls over the internet.

This i agree with this completely. THe elite woman hating and sexism that comes out of men seems to come from the ingrained nerd idealism that being a geek means women wont be attracted to you. Now women (and some very attractive ones) are coming into this male dominated culture (and bear in mind that in this culture has always existed as one that is a sub par sec of human males. Geeks for the last forty years since D&D came out were seen as very much "beta") and these guys STILL cant get with said females.
Original post by k3ro
Characters that are more diverse would be a start. Why should 90% of game protagonists be white males?

Which genres are you looking at and how far back are you looking to come to that conclusion? By any chance are you looking mainly at the ones where it is reasonable to say that most primary protagonists should be at least male due to the time setting and/or environment being used? The majority of shooters are set in a time when it would be all male, or in a universe with similar philosophies, but with ones set further in the future you do get some women, even if still primarily men, which is far from unreasonable; there will be some women fit for duty, but a lesser number then men for a while host of reasons out of the control of society. But then, as has been said, look at many of the MMOs and RPGs and there is often nothing stopping you from being female unless it's based on another work, often there are significant women involved and in other, more male dominated genres there is increasing female inclusion as can be reasonably done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest mmo are highly unrealistic in courting female gamers. Since when can women fight like men? Why do female avatars have the same stat lines as male ones, despite irl them never being able to have the strength to swing a sword? To appease female gamers.
There are ways around it. Supernatural elements, a fairly average male but exceptional female, technology levelling the playing field etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silverbolt

Erm excuse me. I have played Wow for many years and whilst i am certainly no elite gamer (which tbh is where a lot of the issues comes) I have never seen this so much vaunted "woman hating". I have in guilds and groups with males and females.I have spent hours in stormwind and Orgimmar.and rarely seen it and even it does come out there are equally as many who take offense to it.

You're straight up lying I played WoW with my boyfriend back in Cata-MoP time and we raided together and sexism was ubiqoutous both in the guild and trade/general and even the official wow forums. It was banter my boyfriend told me and I rarely spoke on teamspeak because I didn't want the attention but I had guys whispering me all sorts after the raid and even sending me gold via mail behind my bf's back. I didn't tell him since he'd get mad but sexism is very big thing in wow. Mainly I think this is because a lot of kids play WoW and a lot of the grown ups are the sort with social awkwardness and insecurities living in their moms basement since we can only play on european realms. Lots of backwards countries with traditional values.

(edited 8 years ago)
Remember when GTA5 came out and all the girls that said they liked playing were told to stop attention seeking? Lol this thread just reminded me
Original post by Daenerys...
You're straight up lying I played WoW with my boyfriend back in Cata-MoP time

and your straight up full of it. I cant speak for every player and every experience in wow and niether can you. What you have just described is no different to what i described (a personal experience) and you have the audacity to call me a liar.

I grant you may have had those experiences (a courtesy you neglect to show to me) but your acting as though the whole of Wow is nothing more than dripping woman hating manvirgins frothing at the mouth.

as for those pics, tell me how is the slim buxom female any different and unrealistic than its wow male counterparts of ripped muscular hairy man specimens? Wow has two body types. Unrealistic male and unrealistic female. Its a cartoon fantasy mmo game.

In regards to the armour - those kits are now more the unusual than the norm as the wow player base has expanded from hard core die hard gamers to the male and female casuals that make up the bulk of its subsciber base. Interesting that you put up the pic of Sylvanus Windrunner with her two peice metal bikini who is an undead High Elf banshee and yet neglect to put up her equally lacking in clothing male Horde leaders such as Hellscream.
Original post by silverbolt
and your straight up full of it. I cant speak for every player and every experience in wow and niether can you. What you have just described is no different to what i described (a personal experience) and you have the audacity to call me a liar.

I grant you may have had those experiences (a courtesy you neglect to show to me) but your acting as though the whole of Wow is nothing more than dripping woman hating manvirgins frothing at the mouth.

as for those pics, tell me how is the slim buxom female any different and unrealistic than its wow male counterparts of ripped muscular hairy man specimens? Wow has two body types. Unrealistic male and unrealistic female. Its a cartoon fantasy mmo game.

In regards to the armour - those kits are now more the unusual than the norm as the wow player base has expanded from hard core die hard gamers to the male and female casuals that make up the bulk of its subsciber base. Interesting that you put up the pic of Sylvanus Windrunner with her two peice metal bikini who is an undead High Elf banshee and yet neglect to put up her equally lacking in clothing male Horde leaders such as Hellscream.

Stop trying to reason with her she's a standard immature Tumblr feminist, alright with sexism when it affects men but as soon as there's a hint of residual patriarchal values OMG MISOGYNY!!! #YESALLMEN

You will never convince her until you submit to her will, at which point she will label you as a weak pushover beneath her. She's a straight up female supremacist and you're feeding her ego by responding
lol @ this thread

good read

calm down!
I get insulted when I play games online, everybody does, its an insulting banter culture that you just have to deal with. Women may get treated like princesses in real life but on games they won't receive any special treatment, so stop crying.
I've only read the first few comments on this so sorry if I've repeated anyone else... I've played games from a very young age and in all honesty I don't care that there isn't a lot of females in games there's plenty that represent a strong female image?! What about Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, the icon such as Lara Croft even Mass Effect if you choose to be a female? I mean come on if it bothers other females so much then why do you purchase games to begin with? In terms of rude people in games I just take it as stupid and there's a mute button for a reason on games such as cod! Sometimes I find it lessens if you just joke back they seem to back off however if it offends women gamers just mute and enjoy the game :P I just wanna enjoy games and I don't let silly men get in the way... And in defence of guys there's plenty misrepresentations of them in games? Not all males have an athletic physique and are the 'alpha' males? I've met so many great and fun people through playing games I just feel people analyse too much lets just enjoy the games we love :') rant over sorry guys! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
And also I find it shocking feminists have managed to pick apart gaming now to enforce their own argument that women are so hard done by... You're not happy don't play! And actually I'd like to just state how many nasty and cruel females I've met over game chat using the exact same insults daery whatever has said males use? If anything 9/10 the females I come across are vile compared to males. What a silly woman this person is who started this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
So to quantify the premise is with the female demographic totalling half, the platform is male dominated?

Even ignoring that the evidence here is at best strenuous, its anecdotal and incomplete. To take the idea it was 'male dominated' because she got shouted at for being a noob is to fail to understand that such happens to all demographics and because you have frustrated them the individual will use every item in their arsenal to cause offence and thereby cause you to leave the game. I am white and male yet it has happened to me too, this is equally anecdotal evidence to show that gaming is against white people and males. Is it? Of course not but the conclusion follows the same logic.

Further people are generally more obnoxious when they are anonymous so the unsolicited lewd comments are not dissimilar to the people who rage or call each other 'orphans' or anything else they consider demeaning, just because there is a correlation it does not imply the causation is gaming. Its not inherently misogynist to just be a bit of an abrasive person when shielded from the repercussions. Indeed some studies suggest trolling is more prevalent by females (disclaimer I think the research is shady as all hell) but the point is correlational curves can prove almost anything if you don't fully examine them as from this it could be concluded the internet is a 'matriarchy' on your presented categories by which to define domination of a space.

Women as a general rule play games less (and before I hear the don't generalise argument please bear in mind that everything including nearly all empirical evidence is generalised to be applicable to the world as a whole) and are therefore less competent (again assuming time played correlates to ability) and as such receive a higher level of abuse for annoying more competent players. I'm not excusing it but its not misogyny.

If developers don't want female characters or portray them in ways you don't like then don't buy the product. Market forces dictate what gets produced and more to the point the argument could be flipped on its head to say all men are portrayed as muscular sex objects who must provide and adhere to impossible standards. Its really a non-debate how well represented a demographic is within an industry because they shape its development by purchasing products. More to the point some games present females as lead characters, some present them as submissive, dominant, liberated, conservative and all are criticised. Its a no win situation trying to please unreasonable demands. Perhaps they shouldn't be portrayed in some of the ways they are but it isn't in every case and it isn't really harmful anyway (Family guy has a fat stupid man as its lead but nobody suffers trauma because of it)
That study was a waste of time and money, you don't need a study to tell you that gaming is male dominated.

1368276701225.jpg
Original post by DiddyDec
That study was a waste of time and money, you don't need a study to tell you that gaming is male dominated.

1368276701225.jpg

Dying

Quick Reply

Latest