The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by risteard
Trust me, it will not be based on one or two methods.

Those type of questions are 'stretch and challenge'. The average student will not be able to get three and a half or four sides out of them.

May i ask

This is a previously exam question

'Assess the view that interpretivist methods are the most appropriate methods for researching society' How would you tackle that?
Original post by ness7
Is anyone doing beliefs in society or crime and deviance .. and if so how are you guys feelings ? You ready or ? ... Also does anyone have predictions on what could possibly come up ....

I am really shtting myself, we got two weeks left and i feel like i know nothing. PLUS everyone here is talking like they know what their doing, when i have no clue. I HAVENT EVEN STARTED REVISING C&D!
Original post by xxvine
May i ask

This is a previously exam question

'Assess the view that interpretivist methods are the most appropriate methods for researching society' How would you tackle that?

I answered that on the pervious page.

It's interprevetism versus positivism
Social action theories versus structutalism
Subjective world versus objective world
Opinions versus facts
Original post by xxvine
So basically its interpretivist vs positivism and we have to bring in sociology as a science vs post modernism

Yes, you got it :smile:
Reply 944
Anyone know possible theories that might come up for mass media????

Opinions versus facts

so for social action theories vs structuralism does that mean marxism vs post modernism?
Original post by xxvine
so for social action theories vs structuralism does that mean marxism vs post modernism?

No.

If the question is about social action theories -weber, interactionism, phenomenology and ethnomethedology - then you compare them with structural theories - functionalism, marxism and feminism

You would refer to the methodological sides of those theories - interprevetism and postivism

An a*student would see the link between interactionism and a later interpretive theory -postmodernism and would end with that theory and show how it links back to interactionism but how they differ when it comes to establishing 'the truth'.
[QUOTE=risteard;56337147]No.

If the question is about social action theories -weber, interactionism, phenomenology and ethnomethedology - then you compare them with structural theories - functionalism, marxism and feminism

You would refer to the methodological sides of those theories - interprevetism and postivism

An a*student would see the link between interactionism and a later interpretive theory -postmodernism and would end with that theory and show how it links back to interactionism but how they differ when it comes to establishing 'the truth'.

On an essay assessing social action theories could you get away with just doing Weber's theory and then throw in humanistic Marxism post structuralist feminism? Phenomenology and ethnomethodology are harder to write about tbh. Beliefs in society is like five times easier than the other module and it is so bad that we only get three days between them
Reply 948

Opinions versus facts

Could you send me the answer again .. thanks !
Btw, what structure is everyone taking for methods short essay? Have we enough time to use pervert still or are people opting for PET? If so surely the theoretical paragraph would be nearly double the size of ethical considerations lol
Original post by Magnus Taylor
On an essay assessing social action theories could you get away with just doing Weber's theory and then throw in humanistic Marxism post structuralist feminism? Phenomenology and ethnomethodology are harder to write about tbh. Beliefs in society is like five times easier than the other module and it is so bad that we only get three days between them

In my experience of teaching sociology and examining it, I would not advise that. Symbolic interactionism is influenced by but profoundly different from Weber, for one thing they do not explicity address social structure, Weber does. Also some students find beliefs harder ad the question usually requires them to address two if not three topics in their textbook
(edited 8 years ago)
Is it just me that found family & education with methods so much easier and interesting than crime and deviance?
What exactly comes under Social Action Theories?

(probably a bit late in the year to be asking this :/)
Original post by fieldy_xo
What exactly comes under Social Action Theories?

(probably a bit late in the year to be asking this :/)

Weberianism
Symbolic interactionism
Phenomenology
Ethnomethodology
Weberianism
Symbolic interactionism
Phenomenology
Ethnomethodology

Thank you!
Weberianism
Symbolic interactionism
Phenomenology
Ethnomethodology

Are phenomenology and ethnomethodology necessary? Can't we just use them as criticisms?

Only because social action theory is so huge and frankly there's way too much to cover in so little time.
Has anyone got examplar essays for Unit 3 Beliefs question 2 and 3? Or any A-grade answers about sects/cults and science vs religion and NRMs? If so could you inbox me it or share it here for others too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abdulwadud13
Is it just me that found family & education with methods so much easier and interesting than crime and deviance?

Yeah

Mainly because AS is easier than A2 LOL

You could do the education paper and not even be a sociology student. Some of it is just common sense and I could relate to a lot of it as well
Original post by kristine0626
I am really shtting myself, we got two weeks left and i feel like i know nothing. PLUS everyone here is talking like they know what their doing, when i have no clue. I HAVENT EVEN STARTED REVISING C&D!

Trust me I know that feeling

I don't understand how people do it, There is so much to learn.

I also feel that this year is unfair as well sine the exams are 1 day apart....so we have to consume all that info with no gap to revise. Arghhhhh

Last years paper was so easy. Feminism for the 33 marker. Social class for crime. I bet they are nasty this year and make it really hard:frown:
Original post by xxvine
Trust me I know that feeling

I don't understand how people do it, There is so much to learn.

I also feel that this year is unfair as well sine the exams are 1 day apart....so we have to consume all that info with no gap to revise. Arghhhhh

Last years paper was so easy. Feminism for the 33 marker. Social class for crime. I bet they are nasty this year and make it really hard:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending