The Student Room Group

I need help:(

Is it only me? I seem to be in a place where I don't know what I 'want to do when I grow up'. At the minute I feel really confused and pressured into picking a career path. I've come to the conclusion that what ever course I course I do at uni will be " THE DECIDER" of my life and how it will pan out. There seems to be a lot of discussion for other people surrounding this specific subject but I can't join in as I have no idea what I should do. I don't want to be unhappy in the job I pick. But, that's just it... I have no idea what will make me happy in a job. I don't know if I'd prefer to train as a midwife ( which was a first idea), a photographer ( which I'm quite passionate about) or an interior designer (which seems cool). Choosing one of these or something different is risky for me as I don't know if I will 'make it' in the real world. Now that scares me. Do any of you have any advice for me? Thankyou x
Your degree doesnt dictate what area of work you'll go into most of the time. If its medicine, then it does sort of set you on a single path, but other degrees like the arts degrees (english, history, etc) are very open in terms of prospects. Even for degrees such as Law you can go into any sector you want after. Most people dont know what they want to do, I've finished A level and got a place at uni and I still dont know what I want to do. Most people dont even know half the jobs that would suit them out there, and most degrees wont prepare you for your future career anyway. So, if you want my advice, pick something you are interested in, could do for 3 years, and come out with a 2.1 in. Employers at many companies just want to see a good degree from a good uni on your CV. They also want experience in the field!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
There is a smart solution to all of this, but it is a bit "out there". Don't go to university (yet) and don't make any decisions (yet) about your future career. You are not alone. I would say the majority of sixth form leavers don't really have a plan. The problem you have is that you have absolutely no context on what your future life will be like so why on earth would you be able to choose? Even those who do have dedicated career aspirations often hit their goals only to find they were not as intended.

So take some time out. You don't have to go straight to university. Instead, get a job. Do some travel. Join a hippy commune. Talk to lots of people about it. But do spend some time figuring out the next step. Since university is such a huge financial commitment, there is nothing to be gained by going there "just because" and hoping for the best.

Rather than focussing on long term career aspirations, set short term goals. If university is definitely the way forward, ensure you choose a course that you will really enjoy. And spend a load of time ensuring you will enjoy that course. You only get one chance (unless your folks are loaded) so take the time to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The very best of luck!
Reply 3
Do what you think is right for you and trust your gut feeling even if it sounds crazy! No one is expecting you to know what you want to do in the future so just live in the moment and be yourself!:smile::smile:
There is absolutely no need to know what you want to do yet. And hell, if there is, we're both screwed :smile: But no seriously, don't feel pressured into making choices yet. Just do something you enjoy. It's never too late to retrain or change your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending