The Student Room Group

US Colleges International Students (Fall 2016), The Official Thread!

The Common Application reopens on Monday (August 1st) for people applying for entry in Fall 2016 to US colleges. This is the official thread for those applying to colleges in the United States so, copy this out and fill in the blanks:

Where are you applying?

What standardised tests are you sitting?

Will you be applying for Financial Aid?

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other?

What's your prospective major?

Additional Comments:

:bl::nyan::party2::party::work::woo:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

Thank you for this - what's NYU like with Aid for International Students? Any SAT advice?

:smile:
Reply 2
Do you know anything about admissions to the universities I put in the spoiler in my OP?

Ah, okay - any recommendations for courses? I have seen some but they're just so expensive.
Reply 3
I looked at Dartmouth and wasn't that interested in it. I want to go for the colleges and courses themselves rather than for just the aid packages alone. I would be more than happy studying in England if I didn't get into the colleges I wanted to go to in the States.

My ECs are good as are my grades. I got into the Harvard Summer School this year and the Oxford Summer School, both of which I had to supply with details about my grades and my EC's (less so Oxford), so that's one thing.

Yeah, I think I'd just have to stick to the books. My school fees have just gone up and there's a lot of other things I have to pay for right now so I don't think it'd be realistic for me to try and pay for a course for the SAT too.
Reply 4
I'm fully aware of this - I'm just saying it's still a good thing. I'm not stupid enough to think it gives me some advantage or means I have a higher chance of getting in. :lol:
Reply 5
:frown: :bump:
Original post by ivybridge
The Common Application reopens on Monday (August 1st) for people applying for entry in Fall 2016 to US colleges. This is the official thread for those applying to colleges in the United States so, copy this out and fill in the blanks:

Where are you applying?

What standardised tests are you sitting?

Will you be applying for Financial Aid?

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other?

What's your prospective major?

Additional Comments:

:bl::nyan::party2::party::work::woo:

I am looking to apply to MIT, Dartmouth, UT Austin, UMass Amherst, Illinois Institute of Technology, Drexel University, SUNY Stony Brook and Arizona State University

I will be taking the SAT with essay, TOEFL and IELTS and also the SAT Math Level 2 subject test. (Hopefully Physics as well)

Yes, I will be applying for Financial Aid.

CommonApp for most of these Uni's which accept through CommonApp.

Computer Science

I am hoping to get a 2100+ score in my SAT and I have pretty good EC's and will be getting good LOR's from teachers and the Head of Sixth Form. The subjects that I am doing at AS are Physics, Maths, Computing and Business Studies. I am confident that I will be getting an A in Computing and Maths, A/B in Business but most probably a D in Physics. I will be retaking this next year and am confident of getting it upto a B or an A then. I will be doing my EPQ next year and will get an A. I have also been awarded a 50000 pound scholarship at my school which would also be included in my application.

I am looking for feedback about my applications list. Are they all 'Dream' choices ? Are there any 'Reaches' ? What other Uni's would you suggest that I apply to for Computer Science if Financial Aid is also an important variable in this.
Reply 7
Original post by rocketvaj

I am looking to apply to MIT, Dartmouth, UT Austin, UMass Amherst, Illinois Institute of Technology, Drexel University, SUNY Stony Brook and Arizona State University

I will be taking the SAT with essay, TOEFL and IELTS and also the SAT Math Level 2 subject test. (Hopefully Physics as well)

Yes, I will be applying for Financial Aid.

CommonApp for most of these Uni's which accept through CommonApp.

Computer Science

I am hoping to get a 2100+ score in my SAT and I have pretty good EC's and will be getting good LOR's from teachers and the Head of Sixth Form. The subjects that I am doing at AS are Physics, Maths, Computing and Business Studies. I am confident that I will be getting an A in Computing and Maths, A/B in Business but most probably a D in Physics. I will be retaking this next year and am confident of getting it upto a B or an A then. I will be doing my EPQ next year and will get an A. I have also been awarded a 50000 pound scholarship at my school which would also be included in my application.

I am looking for feedback about my applications list. Are they all 'Dream' choices ? Are there any 'Reaches' ? What other Uni's would you suggest that I apply to for Computer Science if Financial Aid is also an important variable in this.

Hello,

Thank you for replying! I would say that you'll need to reassess your choices based on your desire for Aid. You should read into their policies on aid for international students because I know universities like Arizona, I looked at, and weren't good enough with the Aid for me to be able to attend comfortably.

When are you sitting the SAT's?

Jay
Hello,

Thank you for replying! I would say that you'll need to reassess your choices based on your desire for Aid. You should read into their policies on aid for international students because I know universities like Arizona, I looked at, and weren't good enough with the Aid for me to be able to attend comfortably.

When are you sitting the SAT's?

Jay

I am sitting the SAT with Essay on October 3rd and the subject tests after that before the November Testing Date so that I can also apply ED to a few choices.

Yes, I have to look into my choices once again. Arizona does not have Financial Aid. So back do the drawing board once again. So are you applying as well ?
not applying but curious about the cost - let's say for the equivalent of a 4 year physics MSci in the UK, how much would one expect to pay in the US ? (£36k here)

thanks and good luck all who are applying to US unis! :smile:
Hey!

Where are you applying? I'll be applying to: Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, Middlebury, Notre Dame, Swarthmore, BU

What standardised tests are you sitting? SAT w/essay + subject tests in French and Math (II)

Will you be applying for Financial Aid? Definitely

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other? Common App

What's your prospective major? Economics

Additional Comments: I'm really hoping I get in somewhere after all the effort that goes into this haha

Original post by Nebclarke
Hey!

Where are you applying? I'll be applying to: Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, Middlebury, Notre Dame, Swarthmore, BU

What standardised tests are you sitting? SAT w/essay + subject tests in French and Math (II)

Will you be applying for Financial Aid? Definitely

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other? Common App

What's your prospective major? Economics

Additional Comments: I'm really hoping I get in somewhere after all the effort that goes into this haha

Hi5 ! I am applying to Dartmouth too !!
Original post by rocketvaj
Hi5 ! I am applying to Dartmouth too !!

Sweet! Have you got started on the writing supplement yet?
Reply 13
1. Applying to California colleges, hoping I get into a one near SD since some family friends live there and are the only people I know in the US. Plus it's gorgeous!
2. Took the SAT, got 1940, don't know if I should resit or not. I could but I will only be able to do it in December, and the deadline for many colleges is before that.
3. Yup...if I don't get any I can't go :frown: It's really worrying me.
4. Just started the Common App.
5. Some combination of Finance and Computer Science. Either a double major or a major and minor.
6. I'm terrified!! I want this so much but I'm so scared I won't get in or won't get any financial help. I am predicted all As at the end of A2 and have done a lot of extracurricular stuff and have a lot to talk about, but I'm still terrified.
My son, from Texas, is just as terrified at applying to get into Oxford! US schools do look at leadership and extra curricular activities far more than UK schools, so include all of that. Do retake the SAT test and send them your next set of scores. Most US colleges will Superscore and take the best scores from each SAT section (whenever you took the tests). Also, only Ivy League type schools really require 2,100-2,400. If you can, try to aim for that 2,100 mark, but you stand a great chance without making it as close as you already are. Good luck! San Diego is beautiful!!!!!
Reply 15
Original post by strattonhibbs
My son, from Texas, is just as terrified at applying to get into Oxford! US schools do look at leadership and extra curricular activities far more than UK schools, so include all of that. Do retake the SAT test and send them your next set of scores. Most US colleges will Superscore and take the best scores from each SAT section (whenever you took the tests). Also, only Ivy League type schools really require 2,100-2,400. If you can, try to aim for that 2,100 mark, but you stand a great chance without making it as close as you already are. Good luck! San Diego is beautiful!!!!!

Thanks for this! What, from your knowledge as an American (?), do you think makes any application to Ivy League schools successful? Like, a lot of people say good extracurriculars are important but what actually does that mean? Plus, sometimes it can be a case of it's too much money or your school doesn't offer much so what do you do then?

Thank you again.
Reply 16
Thanks for this! What, from your knowledge as an American (?), do you think makes any application to Ivy League schools successful? Like, a lot of people say good extracurriculars are important but what actually does that mean? Plus, sometimes it can be a case of it's too much money or your school doesn't offer much so what do you do then?

Thank you again.

I have no knowledge in this but in the case of ivy leagues, don't they decide whether to accept you first, and then look at your financial needs and give you as much as you need?
Reply 17
Original post by кяя
I have no knowledge in this but in the case of ivy leagues, don't they decide whether to accept you first, and then look at your financial needs and give you as much as you need?

That's called need-blind admissions and most of the Ivies but not all, follow it.
Reply 18
Fair enough.
Is anyone here doing the Math II SAT? I bought the Barron's book on it and although I've done AS Maths and GCSE Further Maths, I don't understand most of it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending