The Student Room Group

Warwick gem (a101) 2016 entry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by HCAssistant93
Have you looked at St Barts? Are you applying to any 5 year schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I went to an open day and the uni seemed nice enough, but not entirely sold on london life.. Yeah, 5 year newcastle and likely 1 other, don't know whether to put another 5 year or gamble on another GEM course, tricky!

I assume your A levels were OK if you're applying to manchester?
Original post by Ben4757
Yeah I went to an open day and the uni seemed nice enough, but not entirely sold on london life.. Yeah, 5 year newcastle and likely 1 other, don't know whether to put another 5 year or gamble on another GEM course, tricky!

Manchester don't have requirements for a levels with a 2.1 degree. I'd say maximise your chances at getting in. I think Warwick is a good shout! It's hard to know without averages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4757

Quote from Manchester's website

"Applications from graduates are welcome for this course. Undergraduates should be in their final years. All should have achieved or be predicted at least a 2:1 degree and should have achieved minimum BBB at their first attempt at A2 to include grade B in Chemistry. We do not accept A2 re-sits from graduates. Graduate applicants must offer at A Level, Chemistry, a second science plus another academic subject"

I have a 2.1 in physiology and ABB at a level. Is this what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Quote from Manchester's website

"Applications from graduates are welcome for this course. Undergraduates should be in their final years. All should have achieved or be predicted at least a 2:1 degree and should have achieved minimum BBB at their first attempt at A2 to include grade B in Chemistry. We do not accept A2 re-sits from graduates. Graduate applicants must offer at A Level, Chemistry, a second science plus another academic subject"

I have a 2.1 in physiology and ABB at a level. Is this what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, no resits allowed :frown:
Original post by Ben4757
Yeah, no resits allowed :frown:

That's a shame!! Ye I meet their requirements so it's a option for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick seems to be my best chance to get into a GEM course - GAMSAT revision isn't going so smoothly and my UKCAT is 705 which I think is just on the border... This summer has been stressful!
Original post by ali.s1002
Warwick seems to be my best chance to get into a GEM course - GAMSAT revision isn't going so smoothly and my UKCAT is 705 which I think is just on the border... This summer has been stressful!

I got in with 702.5 last year so hold on. There were lower scores too. Good luck!
Original post by MJK91
I got in with 702.5 last year so hold on. There were lower scores too. Good luck!

Congrats my man :smile: How did you go about writing your PS? And for the work experience form, we need to get the signatures of the people we did the experience with?
Original post by MJK91

Congrats on your offer. I know the answer will probably yes but do you think 667.5 is too low for wawrick gem? (I think it is!!??)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on your offer. I know the answer will probably yes but do you think 667.5 is too low for wawrick gem? (I think it is!!??)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you give it a shot anyway? You never know, the cohort could have had a lower average or your application might stand out!
Why don't you give it a shot anyway? You never know, the cohort could have had a lower average or your application might stand out!

Do they look at anything else other than ukcat for interview? I have 10 months paid work experience as a health care assistant at a gp practice (clinical and clerical roles). I also volunteered last summer for a children's summer camp for two weeks (took 6 weeks prep) and organised the whole thing along with a co-partner and a sub team for 70 kids. I just like wawrick a lot and wish my score was higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Do they look at anything else other than ukcat for interview? I have 10 months paid work experience as a health care assistant at a gp practice (clinical and clerical roles). I also volunteered last summer for a children's summer camp for two weeks (took 6 weeks prep) and organised the whole thing along with a co-partner and a sub team for 70 kids. I just like wawrick a lot and wish my score was higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really think you should give it a go, you have great work experience with paid and volunteering helps you stand out of the crowd. I know you wanna go for all 5 year but one can be a gem and pick the other three wisely based on the requirements. I think the newcastle gem is also a good choice but that depends on what you wanna do
Reply 92
Original post by MJK91

Do you mind if I ask what your verbal reasoning score was?
Original post by lucky11
I really think you should give it a go, you have great work experience with paid and volunteering helps you stand out of the crowd. I know you wanna go for all 5 year but one can be a gem and pick the other three wisely based on the requirements. I think the newcastle gem is also a good choice but that depends on what you wanna do

I am doing one GEM with Liverpool (risky cos my gamsat is very near their cut off for last year so it could change).

If I had a 680 ukcat then maybe I would be more keen but a part of me feels they won't look at my work with a 667.5!!

Any wawrick successful applicants have any suggestions?
Do they just rank by ukcat first and then look at work experience or is it all combined?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
I am doing one GEM with Liverpool (risky cos my gamsat is very near their cut off for last year so it could change).

If I had a 680 ukcat then maybe I would be more keen but a part of me feels they won't look at my work with a 667.5!!

Do they just rank by ukcat first and then look at work experience or is it all combined?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I'm wondering too, whether they look at the UKCAT then the work experience or they just look at the application as a whole. Although logically speaking, they say that your ps won't play a central role, and I will be putting down my voluntary work in the ps, so since there are too many people they won't be sitting and reading through the ps, therefore the UKCAT will come first. But you got medically related paid work so it is different for you, it'll be in the application employment section.

Also it would really help to know the average and/or sectional cut offs this year so we know where to apply :s-smilie: Anyone? Have they even mentioned?
Reply 95

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/How%20the%20UKCAT%20is%20used%202014.pdf

I found this, seems somewhat informative
Congrats my man :smile: How did you go about writing your PS? And for the work experience form, we need to get the signatures of the people we did the experience with?

Thanks :smile: err PS writing came fairly naturally. Generally just intro, academic ability, voluntary experience, shadowing experience, extracurriculars. All expanded with applicability to medicine and what I learnt etc

For Warwick they don't even look at your personal statement anyway.

Congrats on your offer. I know the answer will probably yes but do you think 667.5 is too low for wawrick gem? (I think it is!!??)Posted from TSR Mobile

Most likely yes. I have never seen the cut-off lower than 675 in any year since I started following the process. Since your VR is low too, which Warwick now rank on as well, I think it might be a long shot this year. May as well apply though I guess, last year we got really lucky because a lot of people didn't turn up to interviews which reduced competition. Sometimes you just get lucky!

Original post by lucky11
Do you mind if I ask what your verbal reasoning score was?

I got 600, in a year where the mean was mid 500s I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick are a bit hazy on their process. They set a cutoff based on all applicants, using total score and the VR score in some way. I figure they rank by total score then go down the list from the top and invite those with above mean VR scores, but can't confirm that. It does feel random when they hand out invites.

Your interview is based only off UKCAT and meeting the 70 hour requirement. Everything else is assessed at interview.
With regard to the UKCAT. A cut-off will be applied to the Verbal Reasoning element of the UKCAT in the first instance. For entry this year, the cut-off was 570. We have no way of knowing what this figure may be for 2016 entry. The Course Selectors will then give points for the percentile that an applicant’s UKCAT score puts them on and for an applicant’s highest academic qualification. These combined scores will then be ranked and the top 400 applicants will be invited to our Selection Centre.

They sent me this yesterday from the admission department.
Original post by macarenafc92
With regard to the UKCAT. A cut-off will be applied to the Verbal Reasoning element of the UKCAT in the first instance. For entry this year, the cut-off was 570. We have no way of knowing what this figure may be for 2016 entry. The Course Selectors will then give points for the percentile that an applicant’s UKCAT score puts them on and for an applicant’s highest academic qualification. These combined scores will then be ranked and the top 400 applicants will be invited to our Selection Centre.

They sent me this yesterday from the admission department.

Thank you! I guess we will have a vague idea when the preliminary results are out in October. My VR let me down a lot, it was 570. So this is another place I could fall short!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending