The Student Room Group

Would you support laws against people denouncing Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
No.

It is pretty obvious what type of politically motivated people voted for the first 3, disgusting they are.
Original post by Errm41
So obvious jokes cannot be hate speech?
A political position cannot be hate speech?
A superstitious belief cannot be hate speech?

You will find Islam sends more hate speech our way then we do vice versa. Sickening how you would still side with it every time.
Original post by angelcake123
:Lol: I think I made it quite clear that I understand the difference between criticism and negative speech. However, everyone's definition of criticism and negative speech is subjective whether you like it or not. Therefore, when it comes to accepting criticism but banning negative speech, one may argue that they are just providing criticism whilst the other would accuse the other of negative speech.

I also initially made it clear that all religions should be protected (not just islam). As humans we should all respect each other and each others beliefs, even if we don't agree with it. This thread was directed towards Muslims so I don't know why you're going off the tangent with pastafarians and sacred jackets.

Because you're picking and choosing which religions you want to protect and you haven't fully understand the consequences of doing so. You still haven't answered my question. Giving this protection to Islam would you protect Apple products and Iphones from negative speech as well if a religion was formed by me. Belief systems are equal to each other and are all as stupid as another.

Now once my Apple and Pastafarian religion are protected, making the following statements will be illegal:
"All pasta need be banned"
"Iphones are pure garbage and should be used as compost"

Do you not see how there will be no end to how people can use this to protect anything. I can come up with any topic, make it into a belief system just as valid as Islam or Christianity and stop people from. talking about anything.
Original post by Fango_Jett
Because you're picking and choosing which religions you want to protect and you haven't fully understand the consequences of doing so. You still haven't answered my question. Giving this protection to Islam would you protect Apple products and Iphones from negative speech as well if a religion was formed by me. Belief systems are equal to each other and are all as stupid as another.

Now once my Apple and Pastafarian religion are protected, making the following statements will be illegal:
"All pasta need be banned"
"Iphones are pure garbage and should be used as compost"

Do you not see how there will be no end to how people can use this to protect anything. I can come up with any topic, make it into a belief system just as valid as Islam or Christianity and stop people from. talking about anything.

For the third time, I said I'm not picking and choosing religions. Lol you clearly can't read. Your questions are silly so unless you want silly answers, then yes I will answer them. They're silly because its going off the tangent and has nothing to do with the question originally posted. Read the comments above m8, I guess that proves I was right that criticism and negative speech is subjective. I really can't be bothered to argue with someone who really can't see both sides of the story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Errm41

I think they could potentially, depending on how they are expressed, but not the ones we are discussing.
Original post by Errm41

Could be, but not necessarily.

Either way, I think hate speech should be legalized and protected by free speech. The only speech I believe that should be limited is when it directly and immediately affects national security, or when reasonably expected to cause direct harm to others.
(edited 8 years ago)
What is Islam? It has nothing to do with the English. Why are there Muslims camping in England?
For the third time, I said I'm not picking and choosing religions. Lol you clearly can't read. Your questions are silly so unless you want silly answers, then yes I will answer them. They're silly because its going off the tangent and has nothing to do with the question originally posted. Read the comments above m8, I guess that proves I was right that criticism and negative speech is subjective. I really can't be bothered to argue with someone who really can't see both sides of the story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll dumb it down for you into a few questions, since you seem unable to understand my point.

1) Do you agree that each religion should be afforded the same protection?

2) Do you understand that anyone can come up with and create a religion or system of faith with very minimal effort?

3) Do you agree that by applying the same principle suggested in the OP, Pastafarians can also demand protection of criticism of pasta and noodles, which they hold sacred to their religion, no different than how Christians and Muslims hold Mohammed and Jesus sacred?

4) Do you not see that if such legislation is passed, anyone can create a faith based system on any topic, and could protect virtually anything from criticism, unless legislation goes ahead and picks and chooses certain religions?
I'll dumb it down for you into a few questions, since you seem unable to understand my point.

1) Do you agree that each religion should be afforded the same protection?

2) Do you understand that anyone can come up with and create a religion or system of faith with very minimal effort?

3) Do you agree that by applying the same principle suggested in the OP, Pastafarians can also demand protection of criticism of pasta and noodles, which they hold sacred to their religion, no different than how Christians and Muslims hold Mohammed and Jesus sacred?

4) Do you not see that if such legislation is passed, anyone can create a faith based system on any topic, and could protect virtually anything from criticism, unless legislation goes ahead and picks and chooses certain religions?

You're so childish. I don't need to answer these questions, lmao you just wasted yo' timeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're so childish. I don't need to answer these questions, lmao you just wasted yo' timeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, you don't need to answer. Your deflecting response says it all.

Either you admit that you're picking and choosing religions to protect, or you reaffirm your opinion that anything can be protected via faith protection laws, which is an even more indefensible position.
Original post by Good bloke
Only in barbaric and backward countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. In the west we have freedom of speech, which quite rightly includes the right to criticise and mock religions.

I know Ireland still has some form of a blasphemy law in place. And judging by the image below, quite a number of other European countries still have some form of a blasphemy law, although not to the same extreme as Saudi Arabia.

Dark red = death sentence
Light red = prison sentence
Orange = fines and restrictions
Yellow = local restrictions
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
Would you support laws that protect Islam and stop people being able to criticise Islam or mock sensitive elements such as Muhammad?

Would you also support laws that make it illegal to speak negatively about Muslims?

i would go against these laws that do such things
You're so childish.

You don't seem to understand that if one superstitious belief or religion is protected from criticism then they all must be. This would mean if I am not allowed to criticise Islam or Christianity you would not be allowed to condemn the Inca religion for its human sacrifice, or criticise pastafarianism for its silliness.
Original post by The Epicurean
I know Ireland still has some form of a blasphemy law in place.

Yup. State-sponsored superstition. In the educated west. It beggars belief, doesn't it?
Original post by The Epicurean
I know Ireland still has some form of a blasphemy law in place. And judging by the image below, quite a number of other European countries still have some form of a blasphemy law, although not to the same extreme as Saudi Arabia.

The part about Canada and New Zealand is misleading and misunderstood. The laws of Canada and New Zealand both clearly state:

"It is not an offence against this section to express in good faith and in decent language, or to attempt to establish by arguments used in good faith and conveyed in decent language, any opinion whatever on any religious subject."

The law covering that is unused (since the 1930s) and irrelevant since anything that goes that beyond the realm of good faith and decent language is covered by hate speech laws.
criticise pastafarianism for its silliness.

How dare you insult the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (peace be upon Ramen). If I want to wear a colander on my head for my drivers licence then by god I will. :biggrin:
Yup. State-sponsored superstition. In the educated west. It beggars belief, doesn't it?

I'm not so shocked about Ireland really. The Church in Ireland is still quite strong and still has a monopoly on education within the country. I'm more shocked by Germany apparently still having some sort of a blasphemy law.
How dare you insult the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (peace be upon Ramen). If I want to wear a colander on my head for my drivers licence then by god I will. :biggrin:

Pastafarianism's stance on dogma (the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma) is to both dogs and mothers.
You don't seem to understand that if one superstitious belief or religion is protected from criticism then they all must be. This would mean if I am not allowed to criticise Islam or Christianity you would not be allowed to condemn the Inca religion for its human sacrifice, or criticise pastafarianism for its silliness.

Its a silly question because the answer is obvious... do i have to spell it out for you?
All religions and belief systems should not be disrepected. Its a bit extreme to have a law for it. But would it hurt to just respect others beliefs whether you agree with it or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending