The Student Room Group

Civil Service Investigation/ Intelligence Officer Role

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Montsz
Hi all!

Did anyone else who applied for the tax professional/operational delivery caseworker get the email this morning about booking interviews? After following this post for a few weeks now, I was expecting to get a little more information about what type of interview will it be, is it competency based (which it most likely is) or something else or information regarding what competencies will be assessed like you all received for the intelligence officer roles! Did I miss this information or is the only competency required for this role making effective decisions? :s

Thanks in advanceeee!

Hey, if you come to the other thread started by Wayfarer we are discussing this role in there. But to answer your questions I got the same email today and booked for the first week of November. And yes you are right it's definitely competency based. It was in the job advert - making effective decisions, leading and communication and collaborating and partnering. Just three competencies.
Reply 41
Original post by jav3185
Hey, if you come to the other thread started by Wayfarer we are discussing this role in there. But to answer your questions I got the same email today and booked for the first week of November. And yes you are right it's definitely competency based. It was in the job advert - making effective decisions, leading and communication and collaborating and partnering. Just three competencies.

Hi Jav,

I have very limited access and therefore am struggling to navigate on the site, would you mind replying with the link in regards to the new thread regarding the tax role, I have also got an interview for this role in November.

Thanks in advance,
Reply 42
Original post by Attercop
Did you not have to write statements for three competencies for the application? Usually they assess you on the competencies you had to demonstrate in the application form.

Also, for the intelligence officer roles we received an email quite a few days after booking interview slots regarding what competencies we would be tested on and the type of interview etc which I think we received in response to a candidate asking questions. So maybe you will hear something in due course. Otherwise you could email CS resourcing and ask. There is no harm in doing so. :smile:

We were only assessed on one competency of 'making effective decisions' and i see! Thank you for the insight, I will await another email but I think Jav3185 just may have clarified this :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by jav3185

Thank you! I cant find the thread could you post the full name of it or the link please :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by MSP_123
Hi Jav,

I have very limited access and therefore am struggling to navigate on the site, would you mind replying with the link in regards to the new thread regarding the tax role, I have also got an interview for this role in November.

Thanks in advance,

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.phpt=3625877&p=60043041#post60043041

Hope this works!
Reply 45
Original post by Montsz
We were only assessed on one competency of 'making effective decisions' and i see! Thank you for the insight, I will await another email but I think Jav3185 just may have clarified this :smile:

Yes I went through the advert because its hidden away. Its basically under the interview details, I don't know if we will get another email detailing it. But if you log into the candidate centre and click job advert it's in there. Just need to prepare some good examples now!
Reply 46
No problem.
Thanks for the tip, it is greatly appreciated. :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow!

Hi Attercop,

Apologises once again, this may seem a silly question, but do you think the interview questions will be verbal question and answer or they will give candidates a scenario to analyse and give a written answer?

Apologises for this question my reasoning behind it is because I also have an interview for the Tax role which seems very similar in terms of 3 competency questions, however, that interview is only 30 mins, where as this is 1 hour.

Best,
Reply 47
Original post by MSP_123
Hi Attercop,

Apologises once again, this may seem a silly question, but do you think the interview questions will be verbal question and answer or they will give candidates a scenario to analyse and give a written answer?

Apologises for this question my reasoning behind it is because I also have an interview for the Tax role which seems very similar in terms of 3 competency questions, however, that interview is only 30 mins, where as this is 1 hour.

Best,

Hey,

All we have been told is it will be a competency based interview so I believe it will follow the outline of the normal Civil Service interviews which last 45 minutes and you are given 5 minutes to answer per question and expected to give your response verbally using the STAR approach. Anything else and I would find that quite unfair for them not to mention it to candidates.

I thought they put the duration as one hour because the panel need a 15 minute break in between each interview? Or maybe because they include the time it would take to process all your documents?

Remember, you can take a few moments to formulate the answer in your mind and decide on your best example. So don't feel rushed. :smile:
Reply 48
Hey,

All we have been told is it will be a competency based interview so I believe it will follow the outline of the normal Civil Service interviews which last 45 minutes and you are given 5 minutes to answer per question and expected to give your response verbally using the STAR approach. Anything else and I would find that quite unfair for them not to mention it to candidates.

I thought they put the duration as one hour because the panel need a 15 minute break in between each interview? Or maybe because they include the time it would take to process all your documents?

Remember, you can take a few moments to formulate the answer in your mind and decide on your best example. So don't feel rushed. :smile:

Thank you much for your help, definitely will be a lot nervous knowing slightly more what to expect.

Best wishes
Reply 49
Original post by MSP_123
Thank you much for your help, definitely will be a lot nervous knowing slightly more what to expect.

Best wishes

I hope you mean you will be less nervous. :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by MSP_123

Best wishes

How'd it go? :smile:
Reply 51
How'd it go? :smile:

Hello mate,

Apologises bad internet connection, working out of office today so giving just a basic reply, hope to give more feedback tomorrow.

As you said fully competency based, no trick questions, 2 interviewers 1 observer. Pointed out clearly which comptancies they were asking about. I believe it went well and I am certainly better prepared for my next hmrc interview!

Interview panel were very calming and easy going, they were happy that I have an accounting BG, but really this means nothing.

Still interviewing for 4 more weeks so an imminent reply is unlikely and they said they are unsure when they will let people know.

Happy to answer and questions I had.

Apologises for brief summary hopefully will add more detail tomorrow.

Best of luck to all, arrive early at your Interview and be positive.

Cheers
Reply 52
Original post by MSP_123
Hello mate,

Apologises bad internet connection, working out of office today so giving just a basic reply, hope to give more feedback tomorrow.

As you said fully competency based, no trick questions, 2 interviewers 1 observer. Pointed out clearly which comptancies they were asking about. I believe it went well and I am certainly better prepared for my next hmrc interview!

Interview panel were very calming and easy going, they were happy that I have an accounting BG, but really this means nothing.

Still interviewing for 4 more weeks so an imminent reply is unlikely and they said they are unsure when they will let people know.

Happy to answer and questions I had.

Apologises for brief summary hopefully will add more detail tomorrow.

Best of luck to all, arrive early at your Interview and be positive.

Cheers

Hey MSP_123.

Thanks for the feedback and well done on your interview! :smile: Hopefully you will get the job offer. Yes, luckily you will now have an idea of what to expect for your next interview and can prepare even more.

I'm glad to hear the panel are polite and easy going. A hostile environment is really unhelpful. I'm glad the interview went as I suspected it would: competency based questions and straightforward.

A few questions:
- Did the interview last 45 minutes?
- Also, did practising potential questions and coming up with answers help?
- Finally the only forms we need to give are our pension questionnaire and character enquiry form, right?

Thanks for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

Good luck with your second interview!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Hi all! I stumbled on this thread - I've also applied for the tax role and have booked an interview slot. Just wondering first of all if anyone else is interviewing for this in Belfast?
Hi Everyone,
I've just come across this thread and the role sounds really interesting. I've had a look on the HMRC and also the Civil Service Jobs Website, however I can't seem to see this role.
Have I completely missed it?
Many thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by ghowell13
Hi Everyone,
I've just come across this thread and the role sounds really interesting. I've had a look on the HMRC and also the Civil Service Jobs Website, however I can't seem to see this role.
Have I completely missed it?
Many thanks in advance. :smile:

Afraid so. The deadline for these roles was in September. They are now interviewing candidates.
Reply 56
Original post by OneJuanMata
Hi. Which job did you apply for? Seems to be two different roles in this thread people are discussing. But yep I got an interview in Belfast too. My interview is for the Tax Professional role. Good luck :smile:

I applied for the tax professional role too! Happy days, good luck to you as well :smile: my interview is on the 19th of November. Did you get the document telling you what the competencies will be?
Reply 57
Original post by OneJuanMata
Thanks. You're the first person I know who got the interview. My interview is start of November I'll let you know about it afterwards :smile: Yep got conflicting information originally but now it definitely seems to be on making effective decisions and collaborating and partnering while also testing on leading and communicating. Hopefully there's a good few jobs available in Belfast

That's nice of you but I wouldn't want an unfair advantage. It seems straight forward enough; competency based interviews are alright as long as you've got a lot of examples as back up - it's all very well knowing the competencies but the questions could be anything and might vary from candidate to candidate! I'm looking forward to it though, and it says we'll know in early December what the outcome is.
Reply 58
Hello Attercop,

Apologises for the delayed response, I was away from the office yesterday and was unable to reply.

To answer your questions:

1a) The interviewed lasted approx 45/50 mins, started earlier then my expected time as the previous candidate had left early, however, they explained they would be keeping an eye on the clock as they wanted to be fair on all candidates.

1b) They clearer stated there would be questions on the 3 competencies, to be honest it was a slight blur but they asked approx 3/4 questions on each competency.

2) Practising potential questions based upon my previous skills and experiences were a massive help and definitely the way forward for this interview.

3) The only forms required for this role are the pension and character enquiry correct. Also, don't forget the passport photo. If you have bank statements that are on line you need to take it to the bank and get it stamped.

Cheers,
Reply 59

Hi Jav,

Firstly thanks for sending the link and apologises I have not been able to properly view the link due to being away for work. The link unfortunately does not work, would you be able to tell me the full thread name regarding the tax position?

I tried searching however, I am new to student room and was unable to filter through correctly.

Regards,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending