Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Can I Get Into Durham With These Grades' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Keinara
Hello,
I'm a student from the European Schools, my average last year was 8,8/10, predicted grade is 86-89 and I'm applying for Classics. Thing is, I was going to apply for a Combined Honours (Liberal Arts technically) at Durham with Classics + Sociology + Politics and International Relations, but I've been told that since Classics is a course generally easier to get into, I should consider applying only to Classics at Durham - would I have a higher chance to get an offer with only classics than with combined honours?
Thanks a lot.

There's no reason that you can't apply for both (other than using up two of your 5 choices). My daughter applied for Natural Sciences and Biology at Durham and got offers for both. The offer for Biology was lower than the one for Natural Sciences, so she used the 2 offers as her firm and backup choices.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by tiny hobbit
There's no reason that you can't apply for both (other than using up two of your 5 choices). My daughter applied for Natural Sciences and Biology at Durham and got offers for both. The offer for Biology was lower than the one for Natural Sciences, so she used the 2 offers as her firm and backup choices.

Hi, thank you for your answer, but my issue isn't exactly the same - I can't apply for both courses because I've already used up all five choices, and basically I was just wondering if it might be easier to get into Classics than a Combined Honours with Classics in it; but I think I'll go for the second option...
Reply 1282
If you are predicted A*AA for a course with these requirements, would they potentially give you a lower offer eg AAA? I've seen people say they got AAB/ABB offers for A*AA courses. Surely they should offer a safe option for those who are predicted higher? Idk my school doesn't really help
A guy in my history class got an offer for Archaeology with BBBC at AS and no A*s at GCSE. He's predicted ABB. They offered him that. I think people feel like Durham are harsher/more selective than they are (which is often the case with most top universities as that's the impression they want to give).
Greetings.
I'm about to send off my application, and am slightly worried for my chances of getting into Durham.

I have got a B in Maths GCSE however, so I'm going to apply for the Accounting and Finance foundation course, which I know is not directed at school leavers, but is something I wish to do so I am extremely proficient in the maths around accounting so I can excel at the course without falling behind in anyway. My grades are as follows:
Geography (predicted) A
Gov&Politics (predicted) B
Film Studies (predicted) B (I can probably get an A, in which i'm trying to push to get my predicted grade changed.)

GCSE 3As, 6Bs, 1C, 1D.
I understand that my subjects aren't conventional, and the grades are not all that great. something which should be taken to mind however, is that I didn't have a lot of choice in a wide range of subjects. Assuming I don't get into Durham this year,i'm willing to have a gap year and undertake an economics alevel within the year off.

I'd say that my personal statement is good, considering I have an active interest in finance, and have gone to courses, read books and have constantly kept up to date with current affairs surrounding finance. In addition to this, i have been maintaining a profitable trading portfolio for the last year, which I feel is something that not a great deal of people would have, so is something I feel may make me stand out slightly.

So with this in mind, assuming I have a really 'dappa' personal statement, can I realistically get in?
Hi everyone, i'm applying for sport, exercise and physical activity.

I got 1 A*, 2 A's, 6Bs's and 1 C at GCSE.
Currently studying PE, Human Biology and English Literature. I got ABB at AS predicted AAB.

I want to go to Durham so badly! I've got my fingers crossed for an offer, sent my ucas off three weeks ago but I've been told for my course at Durham the earliest i will get an offer is mid-December.
I'm applying for Anthropology at Durham, but to be honest I'm concerned that my AS grades (CCD) are going to stop me from getting an offer. I'm doing retakes in the summer but I'm also concerned that my grade predictions are going to pull my chances down as well :frown: and my GCSE's are nothing amazing like some of you on here, I have A*ABBBCCCC
Right lads this is for History,
9A*s 2As - GCSE

AS
History - A
Economics - A
History of Art - A
Maths - B
Chemistry - B

Predicted grades:
2A*s A

A few other wee extra curriculars e.g.
Grade 8 piano

Thanks in advance :smile:
Alright lads,
Applying for history
GCSEs - 9a*s 2as
AS- history- A economics- A history of art- A
Maths- B Chemistry- B (will be resitting Chen)
A2 predictions- 2A*s A

Standard extra curricular stuff: grade 8 piano etc.

Thanks very much for all your help
Any advice would be appreciated.
I've just received an offer for Durham today! So happy
Original post by Fayehun
I've just received an offer for Durham today! So happy

WhaT for?
Original post by Jamesmeg3
WhaT for?

Sport exercise and physical activity, got offered AAB ☺️
Original post by Mel12345678
If I got 5A*s, 5As, and 1B at gcse and am four A*s in my A2s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, do you think they would still consider me even though my gcses aren't great?

I know this has been answered already but they won't give a **** about GCSEs given your A2 grades. A lot of people with those kinds of GCSEs will do worse at A level than, you know, obtaining the best possible grades.
Original post by Fayehun
Sport exercise and physical activity, got offered AAB ☺️

Congrats!!! Happy for you, I'd love to be accepted as well
Do you mind me asking what your gcse and as grades were?
Original post by na1198ch
Congrats!!! Happy for you, I'd love to be accepted as well
Do you mind me asking what your gcse and as grades were?

For GCSE I got:
1 A*
2 A's
6 B's
1 C

AS Level:
PE- A
Human Biology- B
English Literature- B

I'm predicted AAB at A2 :smile:
Hey guys!

I applied for Durham in October 2015.
My predicted grades are A* A* A* and I got A A A C at AS level (dropped the C in Biology) I got A's in English, Psychology, History
I got 4 A*'s 4 A's and 2 B's at GCSE level.

I'm applying for the EXTREMELY competitive English course and am wondering if I have the grades to get in! I think my personal statement and reference are fairly sound, but I'm wondering if my academic record is strong enough...

Reply 1296
I'm applying for philosophy, I took my IB exams last year and got 37 points with 665 at HL. Durham ask for 37 with 666 at HL and I'm worried they might not accept me. I got 2A*s, 8As and 1 B at GCSE. I think my personal statement is pretty good and I know my reference is really good.
Original post by samuelwells
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for English Literature and Philosophy for 2016 entry at university, but I'm not sure if I should apply to Durham because I am relying on a lot of retakes to achieve my predicted grades.

At GCSE, I got 3 A*'s, 2 A's, 3 B's and 1 C
At AS Level, I got ABBD in Philosophy, English, Sociology and History
I have to retake a module in Lit, a module in Socio and a module in History.

I am predicted A*AA in Philos, Eng and Socio and then predicted an A in AS History but it is still worth applying to Durham? Do they consider the predicted grades over the achieved AS grades?

Any advice will be much appreciated :-)
Thanks.

They most definitely take your predicted grades into account. I totally messed up my AS levels (personal circumstances etc) and ended up with BBCE. My predicted grades for A2 were AABB, and I'm now a student at Durham :smile: I got strong GCSEs though (5 A*s, 6 As), so they were more likely to see my A2 predictions as realistic. You may struggle because of your GCSEs :/
Original post by Jono0812
Greetings.
I'm about to send off my application, and am slightly worried for my chances of getting into Durham.

I have got a B in Maths GCSE however, so I'm going to apply for the Accounting and Finance foundation course, which I know is not directed at school leavers, but is something I wish to do so I am extremely proficient in the maths around accounting so I can excel at the course without falling behind in anyway. My grades are as follows:
Geography (predicted) A
Gov&Politics (predicted) B
Film Studies (predicted) B (I can probably get an A, in which i'm trying to push to get my predicted grade changed.)

GCSE 3As, 6Bs, 1C, 1D.
I understand that my subjects aren't conventional, and the grades are not all that great. something which should be taken to mind however, is that I didn't have a lot of choice in a wide range of subjects. Assuming I don't get into Durham this year,i'm willing to have a gap year and undertake an economics alevel within the year off.

I'd say that my personal statement is good, considering I have an active interest in finance, and have gone to courses, read books and have constantly kept up to date with current affairs surrounding finance. In addition to this, i have been maintaining a profitable trading portfolio for the last year, which I feel is something that not a great deal of people would have, so is something I feel may make me stand out slightly.

So with this in mind, assuming I have a really 'dappa' personal statement, can I realistically get in?

Since you aren't doing maths or anything related at A level you could struggle. You aren't really demonstrating your competency for the course.
Original post by laurilea
Since you aren't doing maths or anything related at A level you could struggle. You aren't really demonstrating your competency for the course.

That's my biggest concern really. In my personal statement, I mentioned that I am learning to day-trade forex, and some mathematical concepts such as Fibonacci is required for this, which I have learned about.This hopefully shows I have aptitude for applied mathematical concepts.

Seeing as the foundation year is essentially a year learning the relevant mathematical skills, perhaps my trading and further reading around economics will demonstrate I have a mathematical ability, which just isn't fully developed. (which will be developed within the foundation year?)

I don't know, there's not a great deal of point speculating really. I will just have to work hard in a gap year to ensure I have what is required to study at Durham.

I do have offers from Southampton and Kent, which are although 'lesser' universities, gives me slight hope that they may see what I aforementioned.

*Fingers crossed*
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest