The Student Room Group

Best A-levels for reading philosophy at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Platopus
@jneill thanks for tagging me in :smile:

Thanks for joining and your excellent contribution :smile:

I think Trinity has a rather stricter view of subjects than most other colleges :wink:

(And good luck again for Tuesday!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Thanks for joining and your excellent contribution :smile:

I think Trinity has a rather stricter view of subjects than most other colleges :wink:

(And good luck again for Tuesday!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so kind, thank you! :smile:
Reply 23
@jneill thanks for tagging me in :smile:
I'm a current A-level philosophy student who has applied to Cambridge. I will be receiving my rejection letter this Tuesday, but that's more to do with my performance at interview than my A-level subject choices!

At AS I took: geography, history, English literature and philosophy. I then dropped geography after AS and carried the other three on to A2.

I don't think there are any specific A-levels which would be vastly more helpful than others. The candidates I met who had also made it to the interview stage were taking a wide range of subjects. There were humanities, sciences, maths etc. Oh, and I was the only one studying philosophy at A-level so not taking that won't disadvantage you either. Either way, they will be most interested in seeing that you have done wider reading in your own time.

Having said that, if your school does offer a philosophy or philosophy and ethics course, that would be a good A-level to take, just to make sure that it's what you want to study for three years! If not, I know several philosophy applicants had religious studies and there is some overlap between that and philosophy of religion: ontological argument, cosmological argument, problem of evil etc.

Essay subjects such as English and history are useful because it's an essay-based course. However, (and this is something which I did not know before applying - I am TERRIBLE at maths) Cambridge's philosophy course is very focused on logic and it is a compulsory module in the first two years. There is also a logic component to the admissions test. Formal logic in particular is quite mathematical so having maths or even further maths will help you to think in the right way. But, this is clearly not a requirement either.

There are no subjects which Cambridge explicitly asks for, so on the whole I would recommend that you take what you are best at because at the end of the day if you do get an offer it's likely to be something like AAA*.

What I would say is, make sure that the subjects which you choose are on Cambridge's list of facilitating subjects, found here:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

Sorry to hear that man, how come your interview went so badly?

Did you see anyone there who had taken the same A-levels as I'm thinking about taking. Also what's A-level English lit like?(I'm predicted an 8 in it at GCSE but I'm not sure that the A-level is really for me)

What sort of things do they like you to have read in your own time? Because rn the closest thing I've read to a book on philosophy is Sun Tzu the art of war :tongue:

What is the interview process actually like? I mean I think I have a vague idea but in reality, that really doesn't count for much.

Thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Daito

What sort of things do they like you to have read in your own time? Because rn the closest thing I've read to a book on philosophy is Sun Tzu the art of war :tongue:

Good book :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Protagoras
As you can understand entry into Cambridge is super-difficult but don't let my words dissuade you, instead I offer a fascinating alternative for you to think about..

Royal Holloway, University of London offers a B.A. in Philosophy and History

have a look at the specification here :smile:

here is the Royal Holloway library.. look's great for studying.

the opportunity to do an exchange at Heidelberg, which is the Oxbridge of Germany!

you could then do the M.A. in History of Political Thought and Intellectual History at the University of London (UCL and QMUL) studying at the Senate House library.

you could then apply to a Ph.D. in History of Political Thought and Intellectual History at Cambridge.. maybe Peterhouse perhaps! So you can get to Cambridge eventually..

University of Cambridge - M.Phil and Ph.D. History of Political Thought
University of London - M.A. History of Political Thought
Royal Holloway, University of London - B.A. History and Philosophy
Economics, German, Government and Politics, Mathematics
----
an alternative to that is..

you can do a masters in Germany which is tuition free!

http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/students/degree/master_programs/economics/index.html

From what I have seen, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen don't charge fees for bachelors..

http://www.uni-muenchen.de/studium/studienfinanzierung/darlehen/index.html

..which could be an amazing experience.. with everyone studying in the UK or coming to the UK from abroad.

----
Another opportunity with economics is the University of Nottingham in Ningbo, China with a B.A. in International Economics and Trade, where you could come back to work at H.M. Treasury and the Bank of England focusing on the Asian economy and its impacts on the UK and EU.

Flights to China are £300 and accommodation is on campus which is great! (which are the pink buildings in the background of this photo of the campus.

you could work at JP Morgan or Deutsche Bank in Hong Kong or for historic companies like Jardine Matheson.

First of all, thanks for replying.

So to study in the university of Nottingham in ningbo would I require conversational mandarin/Cantonese, because with Mandarin I struggle to get past the basics and presumably it'd be the same with Cantonese

With this I ask the same question as before just this time with German and for the German universities.

Finally, the other one, where you begin studies at Royal Holloway, does sound quite appealing. My only question is, is how long are the combined courses? Only because I'm not sure that I'll be supported with going through uni for that long
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26

Agreed:tongue:
Original post by Daito

Did you see anyone there who had taken the same A-levels as I'm thinking about taking. Also what's A-level English lit like?(I'm predicted an 8 in it at GCSE but I'm not sure that the A-level is really for me)

What is the interview process actually like? I mean I think I have a vague idea but in reality, that really doesn't count for much.

How come it went badly? As I said, maths isn't really my thing so the test was dreadful to begin with. And I just completely panicked in my interviews and said some very stupid things.

Sorry, I didn't see which A-levels you were considering before posting. Maths, further maths, German and economics right? There were definitely people taking maths there. I don't think anyone was doing a language or economics but I might be wrong. Also, four out of the other six applicants were internationals so weren't taking A-levels. They sound like good choices to me though - especially the maths and further maths. My friends who take economics always seem to be writing essays so that could be your essay subject.

I really enjoy English A-level. It's considerably more interesting than at GCSE (I found the GCSE syllabus very boring) but don't feel that you have to take it if you don't want to. There was one applicant who was only taking maths and sciences so the humanities aren't a requirement. The good thing about English, is that there is less content to learn in it than in other subjects. The exams are closed book though so you have to learn a lot of quotes.

The interview process wasn't too intimidating. The interviewers were all very nice so don't let my bad experience put you off. I had a general interview which was about 20mins and a subject specific one which was about 30mins I think. Just make sure you brush up on your personal statement and any written work you have submitted before you go in.

The books I read before my interview were: Peter Singer's Practical Ethics, Mill's Utilitarianism, Descartes' Meditations, Russell's Problems of Philosophy, Glover's Causing Death and Saving Lives, Dawkins' The God Delusion (not really philosophy but oh well), Wolff's An introduction to Political Philosophy, Blackburn's Think, Hodges' Logic and also some articles in the Cambridge University Press Think journal.

Just did a quick Google and found this reading list: http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/prosp-students/prosp-ugrad-readlinglist
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daito

Do not read a book because you *think* that's what they want you to read. Read it because you enjoy reading it.
It doesn't matter which one/s. They just want you to learn to enjoy the subject and explore it beyond the normal school curriculum to love to even more. They're not interested in ticking boxes on a presumed 'books to read' list just to apply to Cambridge. Why they're interested is how genuinely passionate about the subject you are because that's what you really need to get you through their very intensive and demanding course for 3/4 years.
Reply 29
Original post by vincrows
Do not read a book because you *think* that's what they want you to read. Read it because you enjoy reading it.
It doesn't matter which one/s. They just want you to learn to enjoy the subject and explore it beyond the normal school curriculum to love to even more. They're not interested in ticking boxes on a presumed 'books to read' list just to apply to Cambridge. Why they're interested is how genuinely passionate about the subject you are because that's what you really need to get you through their very intensive and demanding course for 3/4 years.

I do understand all of this and looking at the course I do feel quite passionately that I'd like to take it. I think you misunderstood what I was asking though, it was more a question as to suggested books to read considering the variety of books on philosophy and even political philosophy out there. It's better to follow a rough basis than just stabbing in the dark at books that may or may not depict philosophy in a useful way for the course
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
How come it went badly? As I said, maths isn't really my thing so the test was dreadful to begin with. And I just completely panicked in my interviews and said some very stupid things.

Sorry, I didn't see which A-levels you were considering before posting. Maths, further maths, German and economics right? There were definitely people taking maths there. I don't think anyone was doing a language or economics but I might be wrong. Also, four out of the other six applicants were internationals so weren't taking A-levels. They sound like good choices to me though - especially the maths and further maths. My friends who take economics always seem to be writing essays so that could be your essay subject.

I really enjoy English A-level. It's considerably more interesting than at GCSE (I found the GCSE syllabus very boring) but don't feel that you have to take it if you don't want to. There was one applicant who was only taking maths and sciences so the humanities aren't a requirement. The good thing about English, is that there is less content to learn in it than in other subjects. The exams are closed book though so you have to learn a lot of quotes.

The interview process wasn't too intimidating. The interviewers were all very nice so don't let my bad experience put you off. I had a general interview which was about 20mins and a subject specific one which was about 30mins I think. Just make sure you brush up on your personal statement and any written work you have submitted before you go in.

The books I read before my interview were: Peter Singer's Practical Ethics, Mill's Utilitarianism, Descartes' Meditations, Russell's Problems of Philosophy, Glover's Causing Death and Saving Lives, Dawkins' The God Delusion (not really philosophy but oh well), Wolff's An introduction to Political Philosophy, Blackburn's Think, Hodges' Logic and also some articles in the Cambridge University Press Think journal.

Just did a quick Google and found this reading list: http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/prosp-students/prosp-ugrad-readlinglist

Ahhhhhh, good luck for Tuesday anyway, you may still be accepted:smile:

What does the course generally cover with A-level English lit because rn I'm only going off of what my friends sister told me. The whole closed book thing isn't that bad though, surely?

Which would you consider a good starting point?

Again, thanks for the reply
Original post by Daito

What sort of things do they like you to have read in your own time?

Not a philosophy applicant (although I was considering applying for CompSci and Philosophy at The Other Place), but Sophie's World is a great introduction to philosophy.
Original post by Daito
Ahhhhhh, good luck for Tuesday anyway, you may still be accepted:smile:

What does the course generally cover with A-level English lit because rn I'm only going off of what my friends sister told me. The whole closed book thing isn't that bad though, surely?

Which would you consider a good starting point?

Again, thanks for the reply

There have obviously been changes to the whole A-level system and what you cover will vary between exam boards anyway. I do OCR though which is 60% exam based and 40% coursework based. For the exam last year, I studied Frankenstein and Emily Dickinson's poetry. The coursework was on the Great Gatsby, Oranges are not the Only Fruit and the History Boys. This year, the exam will cover Paradise Lost, The White Devil and The Tempest. The coursework is on The Wasteland, The Handmaid's Tale and a text of my choice.

The closed book thing isn't too bad, assuming you make good notes and revise a lot. It's not good enough just to learn a few key quotes - you need to know your books inside out. I basically write out the entire book in summary and read that over regularly. That way the quotes stick in your mind and you will be prepared for whatever question the exam throws at you.

I would start with Russell's Problems of Philosophy. That is a fairly simple introduction and covers many of the topics which Cambridge like: empiricism, perception etc. It's only about 100 pages long and should give you an idea of whether the course is for you.
i'd recommend maths, history, english literature and re/philosophy.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Get a life

that hurt
Reply 35
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I actually study HSPS :wink:

Whaaaaaat!? Soz! So who was the philosopher last year?
Original post by Daito
First of all, thanks for replying.

So to study in the university of Nottingham in ningbo would I require conversational mandarin/Cantonese, because with Mandarin I struggle to get past the basics and presumably it'd be the same with Cantonese

With this I ask the same question as before just this time with German and for the German universities.

Finally, the other one, where you begin studies at Royal Holloway, does sound quite appealing. My only question is, is how long are the combined courses? Only because I'm not sure that I'll be supported with going through uni for that long

The Ningbo courses are taught entirely in english with lessons available to learn chinese so if you were to spend 3 years and possibly an extra year if you were to do an industrial placement in China then you should be at a professional level by the time you finish. Cantonese is only spoken in Hong Kong as you may already know and is slowly fading out since Hong Kong joined China and it's history as a british colony means there is a lot of english spoken there.

I think it is an amazing opportunity to do something like this when everyone else is staying in the UK, which really needs more people to go abroad to study. I think I heard David Cameron say once that there are 300,000 chinese students here in the UK but only 3000 students out in China and Nottingham is contributing a lot to changing that.

I don't know how you feel about being away from home by studying in a different country but your parents and your friends would likely visit you out in China during the summer. The campus offers many things like a dentist which is reassuring.

I assume if you are thinking of studying German for entry into Cambridge that you would be good at it by the end of a two year a-level - at Heidelberg you would be taught in German.

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/studium/interesse/faecher/philosophie.html

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/courses/prospective/academicprograms/philosophie_en.html

http://www.philosophie.uni-hd.de/md/philsem/studienberatung/ba_leitfaden.pdf

To go for a bachelors in Munich you would need to pass a german language proficiency test.

The joint honours courses at Royal Holloway are 4 years with 1 year exchange. When you say supported, are you an international student already? as this is all covered by a student loan.

You should really do your research into these ideas.. the history of political thought is an incredible field to study.
(edited 8 years ago)
Royal Holloway - B.A. History and Philosophy

HS1002 History and Meanings I unit)
HS1005 History and Meanings II unit)
HS1107 Republics, Kings and People (1 unit)
PY1001 Fundamental Questions in Philosophy (1 unit)
PY1002 Introduction to Modern Philosophy unit)
PY1541 Introduction to Ancient Philosophy unit)

HS2271 Modern Political Ideas (1 unit) or
HS2311 The Lever of Riches: Perspectives on the Making ofCapitalism (1 unit)
PY2001 Introduction to European Philosophy I: From Kant to Hegel unit)
PY2002 Mind and World unit)
second year options from:
PY2003 Introduction to European Philosophy II: The Critique of Idealism unit)
PY2004 Varieties of Scepticism unit)
PY2005 Philosophy and the Arts unit)
CL2553 The Dialogues of Plato (1 unit)
PR2490 Contemporary Political Theory (1 unit)

PY3002 Modern European Philosophy I: From Husserl to Heidegger unit)
PY3003 Modern European Philosophy II: Poststructuralism and its Critics unit)
PY3004 Recovering Reality unit)
PY3005 The Self and Others unit)
CL3652 The Philosophy of Aristotle (1 unit)
CL3661 Stoics, Epicureans and Sceptics (1 unit)
PR3540 Radical Political Theory (1 unit)
PR3560 The Politics of Toleration unit)
PR3570 Social Justice: From Theory to Practice unit)
PR3630 Issues in Democratic Theory (1 unit)

The possible modules on the London M.A. History of Political Thought are:

- Method and Practice in the History of Political thought and Intellectual History
- Theories of the early-modern state: Machiavelli, More, Hobbes, Locke
- Adam Smith and the State
- Selfhood, sensibility and the Politics of difference in the European Enlightenment

The modules on the M.Phil. at Cambridge are: (more likely entry with the London M.A.)

http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/courses/mphil-pol/mphil-pol-subjects

History of Political thought

- Political thought in the Ancient World;
- Scope of politics, democracy, aristocracy, monarchy and tyranny in Classical political thought;
- the political thought of the Roman republic and empire;
- Christianity and politics in late Antiquity and medieval Europe;
- the renaissance of political thought from the twelfth century;
- Conciliarism;
- Republican political thought in Italy and the rise of political humanism in the Renaissance;
- the Reformation and political thought, the formation of the concept of sovereignty and resistance theories;
- 17th and 18th-century political theory, natural jurisprudence, reason of state and republicanism; the origins of nationalism;
- the intellectual history of imperialism;
- the concepts of the state, power and international relations in the modern political order;
- the rise of political economy and the emergence of the 'modern republic';
- the development of German political thought;
- Critics of capitalism and modern civilisation, the history of socialism and Marxism;
- the feminist contribution to political thought;
- political thought in the late 19th and 20th centuries;
- Current debates in the history of political thought.

Some people who have studied history of political thought have gone on to become political advisors and analysts and working in the house of lords would be a good one.

A researcher for the Institute for Government would be interesting.
http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=54122
Reply 38
Original post by tomfailinghelp
It doesn't matter, more or less.

Do hard ones, but I don't think they care so much which hard ones you do - just pick the ones you're most confident with. Maybe go for Maths or Physics if you can, but arts are fine too - I got in with Philosophy, History and English Literature. You will not benefit at all from doing RS or P&E A-Level and in fact I'd advise against it. The Cambridge emphasis is on analytic philosophy and since these A-Levels tend to ignore that, you might just end up giving yourself a skewed impression about what University study would be like.

I actually study HSPS :wink:

Would you say that my current choices are alright then. I mean they might change a little with possibly English lit instead of F. Maths or Economics, but all that aside: are they okay?
Reply 39
Original post by Protagoras
The Ningbo courses are taught entirely in english with lessons available to learn chinese so if you were to spend 3 years and possibly an extra year if you were to do an industrial placement in China then you should be at a professional level by the time you finish. Cantonese is only spoken in Hong Kong as you may already know and is slowly fading out since Hong Kong joined China and it's history as a british colony means there is a lot of english spoken there.

I think it is an amazing opportunity to do something like this when everyone else is staying in the UK, which really needs more people to go abroad to study. I think I heard David Cameron say once that there are 300,000 chinese students here in the UK but only 3000 students out in China and Nottingham is contributing a lot to changing that.

I don't know how you feel about being away from home by studying in a different country but your parents and your friends would likely visit you out in China during the summer. The campus offers many things like a dentist which is reassuring.

I assume if you are thinking of studying German for entry into Cambridge that you would be good at it by the end of a two year a-level - at Heidelberg you would be taught in German.

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/studium/interesse/faecher/philosophie.html

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/courses/prospective/academicprograms/philosophie_en.html

http://www.philosophie.uni-hd.de/md/philsem/studienberatung/ba_leitfaden.pdf

To go for a bachelors in Munich you would need to pass a german language proficiency test.

The joint honours courses at Royal Holloway are 4 years with 1 year exchange. When you say supported, are you an international student already? as this is all covered by a student loan.

You should really do your research into these ideas.. the history of political thought is an incredible field to study.

No I mean supported as in family wise, my dad has always said that he'd pay for me to go through uni but I'm fairly sure he was under the impression that it was going to study for like 3 years and then at some point pay him back. I mean I was thinking that it'd be hard to convince him that I should take philosophy xD

Do you know what the German proficiency test is like(oral, written etc)?

And at Nottingham I know you said that all courses are taught in English but will I get looked down upon for not speaking fluent Chinese

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending