The Student Room Group

Why don't student wear suits everywhere anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Would never wear a suit to uni. My sixth form has a business wear dress code and I am totally sick of it
Reply 81
Suit? No I wouldn't wear a suit to university. I have however wore a blazer with different colour trousers. People kept asking why I was wearing a suit.

Like seriously?? I haven't even got a tie on yo
Reply 82
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Still ****. "Greyness" is a fundamental part of "the suit".

Also I'm not made of money so I can't afford anything other than suit stuff from matalan and any money I do spend on more expensive clothing is on stuff I actually care about.

it does have ti advantages though. For example, if I have to wear smart formal clothes I know what that means. If I was a woman, **** knows :dontknow:

Tailored suits an be very expensive, but Matalan stuff looks perfectly fine if you're not in the civil service. Heck you can get a nice looking suit for cheaper than a good pair of jeans.

Gray is generally worn in the morning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Drewski
To every guy who says he doesn't like wearing a suit: your mind will change when you grow up.

For 1, most places of work expect some kind of dress code.
For 2, women bloody love it.

Most likely anyone complaining about wearing a suit or formal wear as a whole tend to wear poorly fitting clothing made of cheap fabric which combined with formal wear will likely cause discomfort.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have had to wear a female suit before to uni for a moot as part of my degree. But not as an everyday outfit, I'm more of a jeans and jumper kind of gal :smile:
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
Because suits look really silly, they're formal and stuffy and it's overdressing. It's always better to wear casual street clothes because they look better. Suits just look bad, that's why people don't wear them.

Sorry, but suits don't look bad.

At least not a good one.
Original post by Quantex
We're less concerned with making an impression and more concerned with comfort.

This.

I wear what I wear because I'm comfortable.
Original post by Andy98
Most people don't really like wearing suits often

I wear at least a trench coat / suit everyday, would people take the piss out of me at uni for that?
Suits are awesome I really hope to wear them regularly at uni
I personally wouldn't ! A good suit looks great. Plus people talk about comfort and all but I don't find suits uncomfortable. And you feel really confident in one ! SO let's bring suits back

Original post by balanced
I wear at least a trench coat / suit everyday, would people take the piss out of me at uni for that?
Reply 90
Good Morning,
I think student has lost their dignity through many challenges nowadays in the world such as: the Internet, the rapidly transforming Media, etc....
Those challenges give them an unexpected freedom of choice, but then they forget about selfrespect by dressing wildly, without even thinking how to expose themselves in a respectful dress as a student.There are exceptions, but it's still a small group who dress a costume, or sometimes because of backhome they used to / they work simultaneously with the study, or because of the fact of being a final year student or simpel because of their job.
When I get to Uni I think I shall wear the smarter side of smart-casual, at the very least - shirt with casual bow-tie (bow-ties are cool! :wink:) and such. I would never be caught dead in a onesie in public, but apparently that's the norm for long study days :/
Reply 92
I like to us wearing suit... :smile: Just like the old time... :smile:
Reply 93
Although it's great for when I'm having a crappy day and can just turn up at work in jeans, sometimes I do find the (definitely casual side of) smart casual dress code at work a little sad. Call me old fashioned, but I think there's something to be said for the time when people would take care of their appearance and make sure they looked smart for work :daydreaming:
I actually have sympathy for the OP here. I don't like trousers much (too plain, thin material) but actually when i used to be skinny and wore shoes, jeans, and a shirt and jumper combo (or shirt and suit jacket over the top) i had women come up to me and tell me how well dressed i was (they possibly thought i was gay but i still view it as a win).

People today are far too casual and shop at places like Primark who use visibly cheap material on some stuff.

I also think it's a shame that the proper hat is unpopular too.
Original post by LibertyMan
Like in those old photos from the pre- 50's?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-24945991#5

Having a laugh, I will have plenty of time to dress in my funeral wear once i have completed my LLB Law, let the engineers dress code stay as it is buddy, why pretend to be one when i am not.
You look like a **** in a suit.
Personally, I think suits look great and I like to wear them. While I think it's a shame this style of clothing has got out of education, I also consider it good as when I wear a suit, it'd notice more and I'd stand out.
I go to a College, that requires a suit for dress code. No one is comfortable in what they are wearing and try to pull off the absolute minimum.. Wearing suits each day, is boring... Especially since our school is in no way an upper class school, we are pretty much bottom of the bottom, but trying to look pretty... Most students just wear the exact same clothes each day, as they cannot really afford much else..

Suits can be good on occasion, and whether it is needed in your workplace. But in a learning environment, where suits are way out of our price range, it does get super boring, as well as uncomfortable, my shoes are terrible, and often will get pains and blisters since they do not offer the same protections than my usual shoe wear.
Reply 99
It seems we are dealing with a bunch of old fashioned folks, things change however - imagine playingfully chasing those cute chicks around campus in a 6 button suit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending