The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster: Should I go?

Hi there!
I’ve received a conditional offer from Harris Westminster for 2019, but I’m confused as to whether I should stay at my current school or take the offer. I currently go to Bancroft’s, but I know HWSF has better Oxbridge (and it’s free)! Also HWSF would be a much longer commute every day if i accept. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Well
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Seth1234
Hi there!
I’ve received a conditional offer from Harris Westminster for 2019, but I’m confused as to whether I should stay at my current school or take the offer. I currently go to Bancroft’s, but I know HWSF has better Oxbridge (and it’s free)! Also HWSF would be a much longer commute every day if i accept. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Thanks

Hi Seth1234, which school did you decide to go to at the end? If you chose Harris could you please give me an insight on what the school is like (eg pros and cons). Im currently trying to decide between Harris and Tiffin School.
Original post by Anonymous778
Well I have the exact same predicament! I think I am going to choose HWSF although it would be a longer commute. Seems like a great school and a lovely environment

Hi, did you decide on going to Harris? If yes, could you please give me an insight on what the school is like? Im doing art maths biology and chemistry and currently trying to decide between Harris and Tiffin School.
Reply 4
Original post by alexandraeylul
Hi, did you decide on going to Harris? If yes, could you please give me an insight on what the school is like? Im doing art maths biology and chemistry and currently trying to decide between Harris and Tiffin School.

Hi Seth1234, which school did you decide to go to at the end? If you chose Harris could you please give me an insight on what the school is like (eg pros and cons). Im currently trying to decide between Harris and Tiffin School.

Hi,
I did not decide to take up the offer from HWSF in the end. However, my friend goes there atm and he says that he thoroughly enjoys it. The workload is tough and the commute can be long, but it does seem like a really good school. Personally, I would recommend taking up the offer because it seems really good and up-and-coming. But having not gone there myself, I can only tell you what I’ve heard about the school.
Reply 5

Hi,
I did not decide to take up the offer from HWSF in the end. However, my friend goes there atm and he says that he thoroughly enjoys it. The workload is tough and the commute can be long, but it does seem like a really good school. Personally, I would recommend taking up the offer because it seems really good and up-and-coming. But having not gone there myself, I can only tell you what I’ve heard about the school.
@alexandraeylul hey, I’m currently in year 12 a Harris Westminster . I study biology chemistry maths and geography. I’ll tell you my favourite and least favourite things about being here.

Pros:
1) I have some AMAZING teachers.

2) the location,

3) people here are so kind.

4) the canteen has cheap food.

5)we have loads of extracurriculars
Cons
6)we don’t have many free periods

7)we have 8 floors
(edited 3 years ago)
This was soooo helpful to me you have no idea!!! I heard too many different things from my teachers and friends and people around me and i could not make my decision. The thing is i like being independent and i believe that i will enjoy uni. life- especially as i want to study medicine. The only concern that i had was the workload at Harris- eventhough I am quite hardworking the idea of having saturday school every week seems quite dreadful (I dont know whether this is true though, does year 12 students also do sat. school?) I think I might pick Harris over Tiffin as 1)I wont be able to do art a levels in Tiffin. 2)Harris’s location is much better for me. 3) I like the idea of being in a building with only year 12 and 13 students. Thank you so much again for your time and help!
This was soooo helpful to me you have no idea!!! I heard too many different things from my teachers and friends and people around me and i could not make my decision. The thing is i like being independent and i believe that i will enjoy uni. life- especially as i want to study medicine. The only concern that i had was the workload at Harris- eventhough I am quite hardworking the idea of having saturday school every week seems quite dreadful (I dont know whether this is true though, does year 12 students also do sat. school?) I think I might pick Harris over Tiffin as 1)I wont be able to do art a levels in Tiffin. 2)Harris’s location is much better for me. 3) I like the idea of being in a building with only year 12 and 13 students. Thank you so much again for your time and help!

Year 12 only have Saturday school in the last term of the year and year13s have it throughout the year. They say it’s quite useful but having only a one day weekend is abit😳and also that they would’ve been studying anyway so being at school is no biggie. Ooo 1 thing I forgot to mention is that being at Harris will mean you’ll be quite busy, so it’s kinda hard to make time to see old friends (from secondary etc) sometimes it can be sad when your friends at other schools get to sleep in late some days and go home early some days, but we’re in all day every day at HWSF! At first this slightly bothered me that my friends have more freedom, but I don’t care in the slightest anymore hahaha. And a couple of year 12s do drop out a few months in as they feel the workload is too much , but you do get used to it. I used to feel so overwhelmed at the beginning of the year as I never got ANY homework in secondary at allll!!! And this came as a shock, but once you start planning your time it’s gonna be fine!!!
Reply 9
Hi, did you decide on going to Harris? If yes, could you please give me an insight on what the school is like? Im doing art maths biology and chemistry and currently trying to decide between Harris and Tiffin Sch

Hi, I have also got an offer this year at harris and I'm doing the same subjects as you! Unfortunately I can't help u with ur question , but Harris ,in my view, seems like it has a supportive set of teachers and produces amazing a level results - enabling students to access entry in to wide array of reputable universities. Choose what you think you will do well in , good luck x.
Original post by ariamba
Hi, I have also got an offer this year at harris and I'm doing the same subjects as you! Unfortunately I can't help u with ur question , but Harris ,in my view, seems like it has a supportive set of teachers and produces amazing a level results - enabling students to access entry in to wide array of reputable universities. Choose what you think you will do well in , good luck x.

Thank you for your reply, I am aware of Harris’s success and what an amazing school it is in terms of teachers and environment- its just so hard to make a decision as my other option is an outstanding sixth form as well. Good luck to you too and maybe I’ll see you at september or on the offer holders day (if there will be one).

Please don't go to harris for your own sake, it just not a good idea.
Original post by BigScree

Why do you say this? I’m asking out of curiosity. Personally I love it here
Original post by BigScree

Just when i make up my mind i always hear someone tell me to not go to Harris- its like a constant cycle😂. I already know about the enormous workload and compulsary saturday school which do seem fairly stressful- would you please elaborate me on other cons of going to Harris?
Reply 14
Just when i make up my mind i always hear someone tell me to not go to Harris- its like a constant cycle😂. I already know about the enormous workload and compulsary saturday school which do seem fairly stressful- would you please elaborate me on other cons of going to Harris?

this keeps happening to me too! i keep hearing all these wonderful things about it and i'm definitely going, but then i see comments about how much ppl hate it and im unsure lol
We get loads of support.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
@medea17 @alexandraeylul there’s no doubt it’s a wonderful school, people hate it because they’re not willing to work hard, and rather be out having fun like their friends at other schools. And how everyone says “Harris prioritise grades over mental health” that’s bull**** if I have so much work to do that i can’t do it all (which is V rare) you can just explain to your teacher and ask for an extension and they’re always happy to do so. Also teachers are so supportive I’ve never had my mental health compromised

thats great to hear! looking forward to starting in september
@medea17 @alexandraeylul there’s no doubt it’s a wonderful school, people hate it because they’re not willing to work hard, and rather be out having fun like their friends at other schools. And how everyone says “Harris prioritise grades over mental health” that’s bull**** if I have so much work to do that i can’t do it all (which is V rare) you can just explain to your teacher and ask for an extension and they’re always happy to do so. Also teachers are so supportive I’ve never had my mental health compromised

when applying to Harris, I just knew that I want to be in an environment where I'm surrounded by hardworking people who want to accomplish their goals in life and also knows how to have fun while doing that, and I think Harris is the kind of school that can offer me that kind of environment. Plus they have amazing teachers who are one of the best in their fields. tbh I am kind of reluctant now given all the advice on why I shouldn't go to Harris and even though I know I might have much more fun in Tiffin or Kingston Grammar, I just think that Harris is the right school for me.
when applying to Harris, I just knew that I want to be in an environment where I'm surrounded by hardworking people who want to accomplish their goals in life and also knows how to have fun while doing that, and I think Harris is the kind of school that can offer me that kind of environment. Plus they have amazing teachers who are one of the best in their fields. tbh I am kind of reluctant now given all the advice on why I shouldn't go to Harris and even though I know I might have much more fun in Tiffin or Kingston Grammar, I just think that Harris is the right school for me.

Yeah I 100% agree. However don’t get me wrong Harris is so much fun. Like I genuinely enjoy school and miss it so much right now. All the jokes and camaraderie. Even teachers are hilarious at times. We definitely have a good time, just at certain times:smile:
@alexandraeylul hey, I’m currently in year 12 a Harris Westminster . I study biology chemistry maths and geography. I’ll tell you my favourite and least favourite things about being here.

Pros:
1) I have some AMAZING teachers , and I can hand on heart say I couldn’t ask for any better. They’re so respectful, sweet, funny, motivating and are amazing at what they do. There are some teachers who have that tough love approach but in the end they want the best for us. They are always willing to respond to emails, support you outside of lesson and provide extra resources.

2) the location, it’s just so beautiful and a blessing to be there everyday. We have assemblies weekly in st Margerets church, and monthly in Westminster abbey. We also got to have a tour of Westminster abbey. We get free access to the ‘Secret gardens’ (a really pretty private park) we get free access to events held at the abbey eg remembrance services , Christmas carols etc. We get mentored by some amazing people , working at fantastic places such as the Treasury.

3) the atmosphere is like no other. Honestly people here a so lovely and kind. Making friends is so easy as everyone usually comes alone or with one other friend (due to competitive entry) so everyone is willing to meet new people. Furthermore, you could literally sit with anyone at lunchtime and they’ll be so welcoming. It’s not like secondary school (mine at least) where everyone acts so exclusive and judgey , we’re all a community here. The year 13s are so sweet, they love giving us advice supporting us.

4) the canteen has yummy, (and cheap) food.

5) the library has a lovely range of books and is a great place to study, it’s silent, and has charging plugs everywhere. Infact, we have the largest sixth form library book collection in London!

6) we have LOADS of extracurricular opportunities which make the HWSF experience so unique. We have Cultural perspectives which is where you have 2 sessions a week on different topics that you pick, and just explore it. We have so many, eg portrait drawing, history through music, accidental discoveries in chemistry. There are SO MANY, they’re just a fun way to learn about something outside of the curriculum that interests you , and you won’t be examined on. We also have academic societies, we have society every Wednesday, you pick a society that interests you, again there’s a HUGE variety. We tend to do presentations, debates, quizzes etc, they’re loads of fun. Further it’s great to put on your university applications. Saying - I’m a member of ...... society and have presented to my peers on the topic of..... It’s very impressive and helps you stand out!

7) pastoral support- we have form tutors, and year 13 ‘parents’. We are paired with year 13s with similar subjects so they can share any advice with us. It’s also nice to have a wise friend who you can always go to for help. We have a school dog, which you can take for a walk to help you relax. We have counselling ( I’ve heard great things about the counselling), we also have a Wellbeing Focus group. So if things ever get tough, you ALWAYS have a support system to turn to.

8) we do sports. It’s so much fun, I hated PE at secondary but this is so different. We get to pick from a huge variety eg football cheerleading spin dance basketball swimming. They’re held at many venues across the city which is fun to explore with friends.

9) the community spirit. So we have 4 Form groups, and are so competitive with eachother and it’s so much fun. We have competitive sports, debates, performances, challenges, bake offs, dress up days and so much more. We also have Form days, eg Somerville day where we had a party and everyone wore green.

10) The fact that there’s always something going on is so exciting . Monday we have CP, Tuesday we have Lab, Wednesday we have society. Thursday we have CP. Friday is called ‘funky Friday ‘. On funky Friday , we have a long lunch time and students plan something fun. We have had cultural clothing fashion shows, we’ve had teachers karaoke (hilarious) and so much more. We also have Bow Tie Friday, where the headteacher and Male teachers and students where bow ties because “bow tie fridays are cool”.

11) university and UCAS support. We have had year 12 UCAS sessions where we’re prepared for the application process. We’ve had Lab Lectures form world renowned people working in medicine, finance, politics etc ( which you can write about in your personal statement !) We’ve had trips to oxford and Cambridge. We’re being assigned UCAS mentors. There’s also loads of leadership roles. Eg the Senate (like school council) , being a president of a society, student president, head boy, head girl, library manager, kitchen manger , toilet manager. LOADS which are great to mention in uni applications
Cons;

1) the fact that I live quite far and travelling home can be a nuisance especially if I’m tired.

2) we do get huge workloads, especially doing 4 a levels. Don’t get me wrong it’s perfectly manageable, and I’m very happy that I do 4 subjects however at times you can feel abit overwhelmed.

3) we have exam week every halfterm, this is actually a great thing because you can track your progress very closely throughout the year and improve, rather than doing 1 mock like many other schools and if your not doing well it’s abit too late to get back on track.

4) we don’t have many free periods. Like every 2 weeks.

5) the stairs lmao we have 8 floors but you’ll honestly get used to it.

This has been REALLY long I’m so sorry about my rambling but I LOVEEE my sixth form experience so far and so grateful I haven’t gone anywhere else. I’m really gonna miss it here when I leave . And feel free to ask any questions.

hi I am quite nervous about starting next year at harris so do you have any tips you could give the year 11 who may be going to harris next year. like what are you expected to take with you, what should you wear you know like how to make the start there much easier. thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending