The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Leeds Beckett

Anyone who has been to Leeds Beckett could you tell me about you're experience at the university. I don't want to regret my choice as going to this university. I have been to Leeds beckett open days many times and enjoyed the environment. I have heard from friends that University of Leeds is better compared to Leeds Beckett.

Any advice would be appreciable. :smile: Thank you

Scroll to see replies

I have the same perplexity :smile: hope to get everything clarified at the applicants day

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by sbrizio1
I have the same perplexity :smile: hope to get everything clarified at the applicants day

Posted from TSR Mobile

aww!! I am thinking of attending applicant day too. What course have you applied for?
Original post by Zeeiqbal
aww!! I am thinking of attending applicant day too. What course have you applied for?

Media, Communication, Culture. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Media, Communication, Culture. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Childhood Studies
LB is great. I have friends who go Uni of Leeds and the amount of work they have is loads! they're non stop working. My friends lectures are pretty much 9-5 at least 4/5 days of the week. Whereas in first year at LB, you will likely only get one day like that if at all! The environment is so much less stressful and the courses are so much more relaxed in my eyes. I do not regret my decision of coming here. Had a great time so far.

Any more questions about anything, just ask! :smile:
Original post by superdan_
LB is great. I have friends who go Uni of Leeds and the amount of work they have is loads! they're non stop working. My friends lectures are pretty much 9-5 at least 4/5 days of the week. Whereas in first year at LB, you will likely only get one day like that if at all! The environment is so much less stressful and the courses are so much more relaxed in my eyes. I do not regret my decision of coming here. Had a great time so far.

Any more questions about anything, just ask! :smile:

Thanks :smile: To be honest, I'd prefer to study harder and be sure to get a really good job rather than be less stressed but find myself unemployed or unable to access higher levels of education because the university standard is too low. I have been told that the level of LB isn't so good. I mean, not that it's fundamental, I don't care that much about the reputation because I have to like the course, but since I'm from Italy I have to decide whether to chose LB as my insurance or not, because if I didn't I would stay in Italy. This thing I've been told is the only one holding me back from making a decision. Anything to convince me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :smile: To be honest, I'd prefer to study harder and be sure to get a really good job rather than be less stressed but find myself unemployed or unable to access higher levels of education because the university standard is too low. I have been told that the level of LB isn't so good. I mean, not that it's fundamental, I don't care that much about the reputation because I have to like the course, but since I'm from Italy I have to decide whether to chose LB as my insurance or not, because if I didn't I would stay in Italy. This thing I've been told is the only one holding me back from making a decision. Anything to convince me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you have to stay in Italy if you didnt pick LB as your insurance?
Why would you have to stay in Italy if you didnt pick LB as your insurance?

Because my firm is Cardiff and I probably won't get accepted because it's very hard. So if I don't go to Cardiff nor to LB I'll have to stay in Italy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right ok I understand.

So what was your question about LB again? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right ok I understand.

So what was your question about LB again? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean... What do you think about the level of teaching and courses compared to other universities? Why do you think courses at LB are better? (apart from the fact that you aren't so busy as your friends). I want to be really honest with you. Moving to another country was a huge and really tough decision to make. I don't want to regret it. The thing that surprised me about LB at first was that on the website there isn't any information about the excellence of the courses. The most interesting information I found was that their Broadcast building is something like the tallest in the world, but it's not that relevant. I like the course I've chosen and I think it's really unique, but I really don't know what to decide. Last but not least, my father is questioning about the quality just because LB is not number 1 for media studies. I know it's stupid, but could you convince him (and me) that it's a good university academically speaking? (sorry for my awful English, I have a bunch of Italian mates around me right now and writing in English while speaking Italian is quite confusing ahah. Tell me if I'm not clear enough). Thanks in advance :smile:
I mean... What do you think about the level of teaching and courses compared to other universities? Why do you think courses at LB are better? (apart from the fact that you aren't so busy as your friends). I want to be really honest with you. Moving to another country was a huge and really tough decision to make. I don't want to regret it. The thing that surprised me about LB at first was that on the website there isn't any information about the excellence of the courses. The most interesting information I found was that their Broadcast building is something like the tallest in the world, but it's not that relevant. I like the course I've chosen and I think it's really unique, but I really don't know what to decide. Last but not least, my father is questioning about the quality just because LB is not number 1 for media studies. I know it's stupid, but could you convince him (and me) that it's a good university academically speaking? (sorry for my awful English, I have a bunch of Italian mates around me right now and writing in English while speaking Italian is quite confusing ahah. Tell me if I'm not clear enough). Thanks in advance :smile:

I understood perfectly. Actually, I am half italian so I know what you mean when you say it can get confusing with two languages being spoken around you!

I think the level of teaching that I have received has been great. My lecturers and tutors are all very responsive when I have an issue. I have no problems with the teaching at all! The only thing I would say would be that sometimes they can take a while to get you your grades back, but usually it is worth the wait if you have done well haha! Also The National Student Survey (NSS) results showed an increase in overall student satisfaction from 69% in 2009 to 80% in 2014.

So if you choose LB, it will be your insurance right?

Also is your course accredited? Some courses at LB are not accredited and this can affect you when looking for a job. Definitely check this out!

Since your doing Media Studies (I hope that's correct haha), I found this little fact for you. 38% of the University’s research was judged to be world leading or internationally excellent in the Media Studies unit.

Over all the courses at LB, the uni has 3 main goals to reach for every student by the time they graduate. All courses are based around improving enterprise skills, a global outlook and digital literacy.

Overall, LB employment rates after 6 months is currently 95% with great links with employers and having a range of employability initiatives to develop connections and opportunities for students.

Also, the library is 24/7 every single day of the year (including christmas day haha!) which is really handy when perhaps your accommodation can be a bit too loud at night and you want to study.
I understood perfectly. Actually, I am half italian so I know what you mean when you say it can get confusing with two languages being spoken around you!

I think the level of teaching that I have received has been great. My lecturers and tutors are all very responsive when I have an issue. I have no problems with the teaching at all! The only thing I would say would be that sometimes they can take a while to get you your grades back, but usually it is worth the wait if you have done well haha! Also The National Student Survey (NSS) results showed an increase in overall student satisfaction from 69% in 2009 to 80% in 2014.

So if you choose LB, it will be your insurance right?

Also is your course accredited? Some courses at LB are not accredited and this can affect you when looking for a job. Definitely check this out!

Since your doing Media Studies (I hope that's correct haha), I found this little fact for you. 38% of the University’s research was judged to be world leading or internationally excellent in the Media Studies unit.

Over all the courses at LB, the uni has 3 main goals to reach for every student by the time they graduate. All courses are based around improving enterprise skills, a global outlook and digital literacy.

Overall, LB employment rates after 6 months is currently 95% with great links with employers and having a range of employability initiatives to develop connections and opportunities for students.

Also, the library is 24/7 every single day of the year (including christmas day haha!) which is really handy when perhaps your accommodation can be a bit too loud at night and you want to study.

Awwww thank you so much! You really convinced me! My dad is still reluctant, but I guess it's because deep inside he doesn't want me to leave home :wink:
Wow it's amazing you're half Italian! Which part of your family is Italian and where are they from?
Actually I didn't think of accreditation and you did so well reminding me of that. I checked on the website but it doesn't seem to be indicated anywhere... Could you please check too, whenever you have time? The course is Media, Communication, Cultures. Thank you again for helping me, you're so kind! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awwww thank you so much! You really convinced me! My dad is still reluctant, but I guess it's because deep inside he doesn't want me to leave home :wink:
Wow it's amazing you're half Italian! Which part of your family is Italian and where are they from?
Actually I didn't think of accreditation and you did so well reminding me of that. I checked on the website but it doesn't seem to be indicated anywhere... Could you please check too, whenever you have time? The course is Media, Communication, Cultures. Thank you again for helping me, you're so kind! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally understand that! Must be hard for him! I hated moving away and I got really bad home sickness for the first month at least. And I only live about 3 hours away from Leeds haha! But it does get a lot better!
Well technically... My mum is Sicilian haha!

According to UNISTATS, your course is not accredited. Will this affect your studies? My course is also not accredited however, my course leaders have explained to us why and how it will not affect us in terms of looking for a job. I' not too certain about Media though. Some employers prefer an accredited course, others do not. The employers I spoke to said they do not take into account accreditation which was great news for me!

And no worries! Moving to uni, especially from another country, is a big step in life! You want to make sure you're making all the right choices :smile:
I totally understand that! Must be hard for him! I hated moving away and I got really bad home sickness for the first month at least. And I only live about 3 hours away from Leeds haha! But it does get a lot better!
Well technically... My mum is Sicilian haha!

According to UNISTATS, your course is not accredited. Will this affect your studies? My course is also not accredited however, my course leaders have explained to us why and how it will not affect us in terms of looking for a job. I' not too certain about Media though. Some employers prefer an accredited course, others do not. The employers I spoke to said they do not take into account accreditation which was great news for me!

And no worries! Moving to uni, especially from another country, is a big step in life! You want to make sure you're making all the right choices :smile:

Aaaah Sicily's so beautiful! My mother's cousin has been teaching neuroscience at Cardiff uni for 30 yrs and he's Sicilian :smile:. Thanks for all the information! As far as I'm concerned, I don't think about accreditation as something fundamental. I think if you're clever enough and hard-working you can go anywhere :biggrin: maybe I'm too optimist and my dad might not agree with me, but hey, applicants days exist for a reason! :wink:
Maybe you've already said it, but still.. What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaaah Sicily's so beautiful! My mother's cousin has been teaching neuroscience at Cardiff uni for 30 yrs and he's Sicilian :smile:. Thanks for all the information! As far as I'm concerned, I don't think about accreditation as something fundamental. I think if you're clever enough and hard-working you can go anywhere :biggrin: maybe I'm too optimist and my dad might not agree with me, but hey, applicants days exist for a reason! :wink:
Maybe you've already said it, but still.. What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds very interesting!
And yes me too. Accreditation isnt fundamental for what I want to do in life either. Actually its not needed at all haha!
I think its great to be optimistic! Show your dad you can do it!

So will you be coming to an applicant day?
And I am currently in my first year at LB studying Biomedical Science! :smile:
Sounds very interesting!
And yes me too. Accreditation isnt fundamental for what I want to do in life either. Actually its not needed at all haha!
I think its great to be optimistic! Show your dad you can do it!

So will you be coming to an applicant day?
And I am currently in my first year at LB studying Biomedical Science! :smile:

Yep, I'm coming on 20th February :smile: wow, amazing! I admire people who are keen on science a lot, since I'm totally ignorant in that field and I definitely wouldn't know where to begin :clap2:
Yep, I'm coming on 20th February :smile: wow, amazing! I admire people who are keen on science a lot, since I'm totally ignorant in that field and I definitely wouldn't know where to begin :clap2:

So will you be travelling by plane and staying somewhere for the night? Or travelling back on the same day? :smile:
Yeah I love science, i find it so interesting!
So will you be travelling by plane and staying somewhere for the night? Or travelling back on the same day? :smile:
Yeah I love science, i find it so interesting!

Yes :smile: I'll take a whole day for sightseeing, just to figure out how would it feel to live in Leeds, considering accessibility and all that stuff since I have a physical impairment. I'll stay for the night and then fly back home on Sunday evening. Can't wait! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes :smile: I'll take a whole day for sightseeing, just to figure out how would it feel to live in Leeds, considering accessibility and all that stuff since I have a physical impairment. I'll stay for the night and then fly back home on Sunday evening. Can't wait! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so cool. Applicant days are definitely the best way to get a feel for the uni since they talk to you like as if you are students there already. It was my applicant day that made me realise that I wanted to go to LB. The uni is so modern and I was blown away with the standard of facilities they have for my course anyway. It still blows my mind now ahaha!

Hope you have a good time around Leeds! Its a huge city, very lively with so many shops! It took me so long to get my head around the city centre. I was getting lost every day haha!

Where will you be staying? In a hotel or university accomodation for the night? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending