The Student Room Group

UCAS chief: 'Schools are exaggerating predicted grades'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
would you have preferred a rejection?

To be honest, yes I would have
Original post by JohnGreek
Why did you apply to a course where the offer includes an A in Maths?

I didn't... It said I needed a pass. Oh well I'm not going to Glasgow it's full of posh *****
Reply 62
Didn't apply this year, did A levels last year, but I think, given my AS results, my predictions were a bit high. However I eventually exceeded them, so I guess my teachers correctly took into account other things..
Would also note that my GCSE predictions were exactly right in every subject; my bad school did some things okay..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Being an admissions tutor must be a terrible job. You get 800 applications but can only accept 100 students because your department only has resources to teach that many (staff, labs, lecture theatres, etc). If you recruit fewer than 100, your department loses fees, and that means people lose jobs - so you have to get it exactly right. You can't just give 100 offers, because some of your applicants will choose one of their other offers. So you look at the proportion of 'conversions' you have got over recent years (say 25% on average, or 1 in 4 - after all, they might have five offers to choose from), and know you have to make 400 offers to get 100 'CF' decisions. But that won't be enough because (according to UCAS data going back several years) half the applicants won't get the predicted grades. So you need to get 200 CFs to get 100 students with the grades, which means 800 offers. So you offer everyone who applies a place, and have a very nervous wait until August when you discover what has happened, and if you have 50 (disaster) or 100 (relief) or 150 (panic) students.
Obviously you don't do this. You make offers on the conservative side, say to 500 applicants, and get 125 CFs. Then in August you find you have 70 whose grades actually meet the offer, so you also take the best 30 people who wanted to come, but just missed the grades required. They wanted to study with you, you need them to study with you - and no-one ever knows they missed the grades because the data is confidential. Only your 'mean entry tariff' is ever published and that includes all tariff-bearing qualifications not just the ones in the offer.
So being admissions tutor is like being a bookmaker. You play the odds, and if you are careful, it is not such a terrible job. But importantly, this does mean that on results day, anyone who just misses their grades should immediately ring up their chosen university admissions offer to find out if they are one of the lucky margin who will be accepted anyway.
Original post by jonmay
Being an admissions tutor must be a terrible job. You get 800 applications but can only accept 100 students because your department only has resources to teach that many (staff, labs, lecture theatres, etc). If you recruit fewer than 100, your department loses fees, and that means people lose jobs - so you have to get it exactly right. You can't just give 100 offers, because some of your applicants will choose one of their other offers. So you look at the proportion of 'conversions' you have got over recent years (say 25% on average, or 1 in 4 - after all, they might have five offers to choose from), and know you have to make 400 offers to get 100 'CF' decisions. But that won't be enough because (according to UCAS data going back several years) half the applicants won't get the predicted grades. So you need to get 200 CFs to get 100 students with the grades, which means 800 offers. So you offer everyone who applies a place, and have a very nervous wait until August when you discover what has happened, and if you have 50 (disaster) or 100 (relief) or 150 (panic) students.
Obviously you don't do this. You make offers on the conservative side, say to 500 applicants, and get 125 CFs. Then in August you find you have 70 whose grades actually meet the offer, so you also take the best 30 people who wanted to come, but just missed the grades required. They wanted to study with you, you need them to study with you - and no-one ever knows they missed the grades because the data is confidential. Only your 'mean entry tariff' is ever published and that includes all tariff-bearing qualifications not just the ones in the offer.
So being admissions tutor is like being a bookmaker. You play the odds, and if you are careful, it is not such a terrible job. But importantly, this does mean that on results day, anyone who just misses their grades should immediately ring up their chosen university admissions offer to find out if they are one of the lucky margin who will be accepted anyway.

You were spot on until the final sentence.

Ringing on results day depends on both results AND track status. For anyone rejected or confirmed when track gets updated it is not worth phoning. Only applicants who have missed their offer AND have no clear decision on Track need to phone - and everyone else needs to leave the lines clear for them!
Reply 65
Original post by jonmay
You make offers on the conservative side, say to 500 applicants, and get 125 CFs. Then in August you find you have 70 whose grades actually meet the offer, so you also take the best 30 people who wanted to come, but just missed the grades required. They wanted to study with you, you need them to study with you - and no-one ever knows they missed the grades because the data is confidential. Only your 'mean entry tariff' is ever published and that includes all tariff-bearing qualifications not just the ones in the offer.

That makes sense, I've been wondering how they do it. Though it must be difficult factoring in the potential insurance places that will get called upon in their estimates. At least they know both the firms and insurances not taken by their firm who make the grade before they start considering through those that missed the offer.

Post exam applications, or sats plus continuous assesments like in US are a much less fraught and fair way of doing things. Our current system has an element of rewarding overconfidence and punishing lack of confidence at the point of a student choosing from their offers.
I don't think teachers are to blame in this situation at all. If unis are letting in students who've missed their offer by two grades or more to fill the course, that just shows their standard offer is to high. Having a "standard offer" of AAA/AAB or higher is a marketing tool- especially when standard offers are used in league table rankings. It's also possibly caused by previous years when unis could take unlimited numbers of students getting AAB/ABB or above. If uni standard offers were more accurate, then teachers wouldn't need to over-predict.

Either that, or unis are so desperate to fill their courses they're taking student the know won't cope and they expect to fail or drop out at some point during the course.

I do think applying after results would be better for everyone. It would be a less stressful system for students, as it would avoid months of wondering if you're going to meet your offer or not, and avoid the mad scramble of clearing on results day. It would also avoid the need of messing around with firm and insurance places.

If results could be produced in July, between July and October, students could apply with a UCAS Extra style system, i.e. applying to one uni at a time, and the uni has to reply within a set amount of time- I think 10 working days would be doable given the lower number of students applying to each institution at a time. Most students would be able to target their applications at the right level, so probably wouldn't need to apply to more than 3 universities. For courses/unis that want to interview, a gap year would probably be required, or they could start their academic year in January.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I don't think teachers are to blame in this situation at all. If unis are letting in students who've missed their offer by two grades or more to fill the course, that just shows their standard offer is to high. Having a "standard offer" of AAA/AAB or higher is a marketing tool- especially when standard offers are used in league table rankings. It's also possibly caused by previous years when unis could take unlimited numbers of students getting AAB/ABB or above. If uni standard offers were more accurate, then teachers wouldn't need to over-predict.

Either that, or unis are so desperate to fill their courses they're taking student the know won't cope and they expect to fail or drop out at some point during the course.

I do think applying after results would be better for everyone. It would be a less stressful system for students, as it would avoid months of wondering if you're going to meet your offer or not, and avoid the mad scramble of clearing on results day. It would also avoid the need of messing around with firm and insurance places.

If results could be produced in July, between July and October, students could apply with a UCAS Extra style system, i.e. applying to one uni at a time, and the uni has to reply within a set amount of time- I think 10 working days would be doable given the lower number of students applying to each institution at a time. Most students would be able to target their applications at the right level, so probably wouldn't need to apply to more than 3 universities. For courses/unis that want to interview, a gap year would probably be required, or they could start their academic year in January.

The problem with the timeline is Scottish university start dates...most start either 1 or 2 weeks into September and they weren't prepared to shift.

Likewise the schools refused to bring A level exams all back to May to allow marking and results in June (and the exam boards wouldn't agree to the schedule because although it staggered the marking to significantly before GCSE most of their marking staff are teachers so aren't free to mark until exams finish completely in July).
Add in a disadvantage to any applicants needing to resit a GCSE AND major complaints from Oxbridge and arts courses needing a portfolio assessment as well as exams and it all fell down. Then there was an election and a new government who were more focused on the fees than the fairness of admissions and so the project got cancelled in2012.

UCAS would love it though- they could fire 80% of their staff and just have summer temps and still charge every applicant £28 for applying while selling on their data to advertisers and charging universities extortionate fees.

If M C-C carries on pushing it then what is most likely to happen is that UCAS will lose their monopoly as soon as Oxbridge opt out and the rest of the RG follow to try to keep their myth of prestige.
should have just scrap the entire predicted grade system. no credibility at all. i got very low marks at AS and end up with 4A*s prediction. can't imagine what would happen in the 2017 admission cycle with the scrap of AS. Good universities would end up creating their own tests (which some subjects did this already) and completely ignore a level results.
Reply 69
So is it possible to spot a university course whose actual grades needed for entry are frequently lower than the stated standard entry requirements and offers given?
Original post by JohnGreek
I think that we could have a predicted grade system, but it would be deemed a lot more accurate if students were forced to submit all their UMS marks on UCAS for all unis and courses, who could then go on to use them as they liked. This would hopefully mean that the unis could have something extra to distinguish between candidates, as well as a better grounding for judging whether the prediction is actually realistic or not.

From now on, there will be no exams to take UMS from, now that A levels are linear.
Original post by ARoxanne
Just wondering, does this then mean that Universities will accept you even if you fall short of the offered conditions?

In some cases, but not all of the time.

Getting your predicted grades increased just to get offers can, and will, result in disappointment on results day.

When I applied for university via UCAS (this was 3 years ago!), I was originally predicted CCC (I think). I got my predictions increased to BBC, and come results day, due to a combination of reasons (the fact that my AS grades weren't brilliant, the fact that I had to do some resits (and that was when you could do January exams), and the fact that I got the rotten Edexcel C3 paper that hit news headlines), I fell flat on my face and got CCD. However, thanks to also having a Merit in AS ICT (BTEC), I got into De Montfort University via Clearing, and that was the right move, as I have enjoyed my course so far and am hoping to do well in my final year. :smile:
Reply 72
I think your personal statement and reference still plays a key role in whether or not you get a place at university. Predicted grades are really stupid in my opinion...sure they give an indication of what you can achieve. But i feel like it is bad to restrict students into thinking they are only capable of such a grade, or feel stressed out with targets given to them of As and A*s which they might not see as in their grasp.

Oh, university applications.......*sigh*
In my school they seemed to be based on 3 things.
1) What grades you got last year
2) How you're performing currently
3) How students from the school have done in the past
My school have been pretty strict really, I have seen people get predicted grades below their AS grade. Saying that, I was offered to have one predicted moved from an A to an A*, but I declined because I didn't need it.
Definitely, I feel like loads of students get predicted one grade above what they actually achieved at AS (which I think shouldn't be done unless they were very close to the grade above), and when it comes to A*s I think they should ONLY be predicted if the student achieved 90%+ at AS. I think predicted grades then, overall, would be much more accurate.
Original post by imsoanonymous123
My firm choice set me A*A*A* as offer and my insurance A*A*AA ; I'm predicted A*A*A*A* so that does make some sense. But I think only the stronger universities do this since the other weaker universities I applied to gave me fairly low offers of A*AA (Warwick and Durham) or A*AB (Bath)

Where tf you going to study that they're asking for A*A*A* 😂
My predicted grades are bang on (ABB)

Another girl got the same grades as me in AS in the same subjects and her teachers predicted her A*AA because she's applying to Oxford, lol (she got an offer too).
Original post by Chellecharity
Where tf you going to study that they're asking for A*A*A* 😂

cambridge
im not even gap year but they asking for it
thats the easy part of the offer as well, i have to sit a step exam on top of it
Original post by PQ

If M C-C carries on pushing it then what is most likely to happen is that UCAS will lose their monopoly as soon as Oxbridge opt out and the rest of the RG follow to try to keep their myth of prestige.

Oxbridge gains nothing from UCAS which is why they had to be enticed to join UCCA in the first place. The number of UK offerees who turn down Oxbridge is trivial. Oxford, at least, addresses the only undergraduate market where this is a serious risk, the USA, by making unconditional offers and extracting significant fee deposits.

I suspect the conversion rate (offer to bum on seat) for even the top end of the rest of the RG is too low to make going it alone viable. One has to remember UCCA was set up for one purpose only, to prevent multiple accepted offers. UCAS continues to do that job very well. Anyone who goes it alone will immediately be faced by an enormous number of no-shows. It is very noticeable that the two private law degree providers, University of Law and BPP who initially operated outside UCAS, have now chosen to join.
This didn't happen at my school , however my cousin is at a private school in Cambridge and she achieved BCU at AS level and here teachers have predicted her AAB for A2, she has now had offers of AAB, however she is not retaking anything, I personally think she will not achieve those grades but what do I know, I didn't go to a private school so nothing apparently!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending