The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KJadeG
Hi, I've got my mock tomorrow as well. I've found these articles but I don't think they will be of much use in terms of narrative, form ad structure though.
http://crossref-it.info/articles/312/how-to-write-a-good-english-exam-answer
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/English%20Literature%20Writing%20Guide%20final.pdf
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/your-a-level-english-literature-what-the-examiners-are-looking-for-28744154.html

I was told by my teacher that we don't compare in section B like we did a AS level?

Oh cheers ! I'll have a look at that !
Yea sorry for confusing you , I was told by my teacher to do like three separate paragraphs for each book for section B, it's not a comparison ( sorry that second coursework got to my head lol 🙃)
What books you doing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Original post by Changing Skies
I got an A in this exam. Happy to answer any questions!

A few tips though. Learn a good range of quotes. This is obvious and I'm sure most of you are aware but it is so helpful. I took it to the extreme and memorised over 200 in total but it definitely helped as I had a wide range to choose from when it came to the exam. However, it is probably more sensible to just pick a few that are applicable to several themes.

You don't necessarily have to know a lot about a text when it comes to wider reading. I literally just picked a few quotes out from books I had never read, I knew the context so I was able to apply them to my questions.

Be inventive in your answers. I came up with a few wild and obscure interpretations, but as I was able to back them up, it was fine. What I absolutely loved about this course is that there are so many ways you can explore a point. It's so much easier to be creative in this exam than it was at AS too, so make the most of that!

Don't forget to have an interesting introduction. You want to entice and impress the examiner and let them know straight away you know what you are talking about. Define any words, use nice language and use any potential technical terms.

Be succinct. You can get excellent marks with a very short essay as long as you have explored the question properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, have you got an example introduction as I get what you mean kind of!
Reply 102
I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Dr Faustus and Macbeth, been writing my key quotes on flashcards (Quote on one side, analysis on the other) and it's really helped.

A tip for learning the quotes in Faustus/Macbeth/any other play you might be done: give a buddy a list of your key quotes (with line/scene/page references if they need it) and have them read out the line before and prompt you to say the one after. This obviously doesn't help you too much with learning the analysis, but it helps you to learn the actual quotes themselves, which is also important.

The one I'm struggling most with is The Bloody Chamber. I've something of a theatrical past, so learning plays is second nature to me but I'm absolutely pants at learning quotes from actual books. Anyone got any tips for it?

Also the thing my class mostly seems to be stuffed on is AO2 - anyone any tips on improving that?
Studying Bloody Chamber, Dr Faustus and Frankenstein and my mock was this morning... it was on the 2013 June paper and I think it went okay?

Does anyone know the Horrible Histories William Shakespeare song? I learned quotes by writing a parody of it (I tought it would be funny because of the whole Marlowe/Shakespeare thing). If anyone else learns via songs and music, let me know and I'll post the lyrics?

I'm struggling with the critical response... do we have to learn specific critics viewpoints, or is the old "it could also be argued that..." without names fine too?
Original post by arthh2009
What themes where last years questions on?

Erm...Gothic literature? :tongue:

Which questions specifically though?
I am doing Macbeth for section A, and for section B I am doing Dr Faustus, The Bloody Chamber and Northanger Abbey. Is anyone doing the same or similar text to me ?
Studying Frankenstein, the Bloody Chamber and Macbeth, I have my mock tomorrow and am so worried because I can't remember any key quotes- any tips for learning them or good resources?

Also has anyone been given the June 15 paper as a mock and has any idea what to expect from it?
Original post by eddso
In the Examiner Reports (Please read them - they are so helpful) there is an emphasis that psychoanalytical, feminist, marxist readings etc were not essential. If you can justifiably put in a reading which will DEVELOP, PROGRESS and ADD TO your argument, then feel free to include them, but AQA said that many candidates seemed to just throw in a Marxist/ Feminist etc. reading for the sake of it and it did not add anything to their argument. In these cases, these readings often seemed to be irrelevant to the question and therefore candidates actually LOST marks in the AO1 criteria which asks for a strong focus on the question.

Similarly, for AO2 I think language analysis is what you will naturally focus on more. But be sure to make 2 or 3 points on structure and narrative voice in order to achieve the higher bands.

Also remember that in this exam, contrary to LITB1, all the AOs have an equal weighting, so be sure to cover them all equally. With AO4 especially, as an Examiners Report mentioned, make sure you really know your context. In one year they had too many cases of vague generalisations which were unworthy of credit; such as, some candidates (for The Bloody Chamber) suggested that, even in 1970, everyone thought rape was ok and it happened often. That is simply not true and, instead of showing a secure understanding of context, shows absolutely no understanding and was therefore a waste of time putting it in, again losing marks for invalid evidence.

Hope this all helps!

Very helpful, thanks a lot!
Reply 108
Original post by TheRealDeeds_
I am doing Macbeth for section A, and for section B I am doing Dr Faustus, The Bloody Chamber and Northanger Abbey. Is anyone doing the same or similar text to me ?

I am doing all those except for Northanger abbey, i am doing Wuthering Heights
That sounds so useful, I definitely learn best through activities like that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Original post by Chez231
Oh cheers ! I'll have a look at that !
Yea sorry for confusing you , I was told by my teacher to do like three separate paragraphs for each book for section B, it's not a comparison ( sorry that second coursework got to my head lol 🙃)
What books you doing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's okay, I was just making sure! I'm studying the Bloody Chamber, THe White Devil, and The Changeling. What ones are you doing? :smile:
Original post by KJadeG
That's okay, I was just making sure! I'm studying the Bloody Chamber, THe White Devil, and The Changeling. What ones are you doing? :smile:

Bloody chamber , Frankenstein and Dr Faustus , I really messed up on the bloody chamber bit of section B , I did the "good and evil blurred " question and just froze , I didn't know what to write , quite hard quoting without he books

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by Chez231
Bloody chamber , Frankenstein and Dr Faustus , I really messed up on the bloody chamber bit of section B , I did the "good and evil blurred " question and just froze , I didn't know what to write , quite hard quoting without he books

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get on with section A? We had the 2013 paper and I only did 2 texts for section B :s-smilie:
Original post by KJadeG
How did you get on with section A? We had the 2013 paper and I only did 2 texts for section B :s-smilie:

Ah we had the 2015 June paper , i did all three texts for section B but they were very weak in all Ao's lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I got an A in this A level and this exam if anyone would like to ask any questions :smile: good luck guys. I loved this course.

Oh and I'll pop this into the English exam section :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did do you do? (I know everyone's different and thinks different but) What was the most effective and efficient way to revise, what really helped you improve?
Anyone got any exam predictions for what topics /themes might come up for Section B. And for Frankenstein,Dr Faustus and The bloody Chamber
Original post by Toby912
Anyone got any exam predictions for what topics /themes might come up for Section B. And for Frankenstein,Dr Faustus and The bloody Chamber

Yay - someone else who does Dr Faustus!

I hope something about hell comes up :tongue:
Reply 117
We are studying The Bloody Chamber Macbeth and Dr FaustusWhat is the best Student copy of Dr Faustus?For Macbeth the Arden Shakespeare edition was fantastic but we have been given no guidance on which copy to buy. Is there a version with detail footnotes that I could buy?
Hello could we make a facebook chat in preparation for this exam. It is beneficial to generate key ideas and we are more or less doing the same text. Message me for details
Hello, I know this thread is not about litb4, but if anyone has some spare time to just give me some feedback on my litb4 essay on Shakespeare's King lear applying it to the feminism anthology, I would be so grateful as i am really struggling with it

I will also do the same for you, to try and give you some feedback if you need it.

please tell me if you can spare a few minutes to give me some feedback?

thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending