The Student Room Group

Can a black person lie about their race? And get away with it?

I know that's an odd question. I got a friend that's black. And is basically slightly short on cash. And he does different studies sometimes to make money. He signed up for a focus group for only Hispanic guys age range 18-35. He claimed he was Dominican/Haitian well he actually didn't say that he said his father's mother's family was Haitian and his father father's family was Dominican which is true just his father's father isn't his genetic father. But Haitian is technically latino or whatever. Latinos look all sorts of things right? So like could a white guy also lie about his race? And get the same proceed? How do they weed out who's lying and who's telling the truth? Because I'm white and I wouldn't mind making 50 dollars an hour if all I had to do was say I'm like Argentinian or something. They're Hispanic right? So I mean does anyone know how those studies work?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by justacollegekid
I know that's an odd question. I got a friend that's black. And is basically slightly short on cash. And he does different studies sometimes to make money. He signed up for a focus group for only Hispanic guys age range 18-35. He claimed he was Dominican/Haitian well he actually didn't say that he said his father's mother's family was Haitian and his father father's family was Dominican which is true just his father's father isn't his genetic father. But Haitian is technically latino or whatever. Latinos look all sorts of things right? So like could a white guy also lie about his race? And get the same proceed? How do they weed out who's lying and who's telling the truth? Because I'm white and I wouldn't mind making 50 dollars an hour if all I had to do was say I'm like Argentinian or something. They're Hispanic right? So I mean does anyone know those studies work?

Yeah I reckon you could within reason.
:erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm:
Tbh I can say I'm from pretty much wherever has dark people and most people wouldn't know the difference
Confused - Confused - Confused
Original post by ODES_PDES
Confused - Confused - Confused

what was confusing?

I am just saying my friend got in a focus group saying he was Hispanic when he's really black. And I am wondering as a white person if I could do basically the same thing and say I'm Hispanic just light skinned like Argentinians are
what was confusing?

I am just saying my friend got in a focus group saying he was Hispanic when he's really black. And I am wondering as a white person if I could do basically the same thing and say I'm Hispanic just light skinned like Argentinians are

I thought Hispanic and black were separate races
Reply 7

Thats kinda the point.

yeah it is. But he lied. But I don't know how they'll know he's lying as they accept Dominican participants. And those people look black. They're just light skinned. And he happens to be light skinned. I am wondering if he can get away with it can't I? I mean Argentinian people are white looking right? So how could they tell?

They are. Hence why he would be lying
I know that's an odd question. I got a friend that's black. And is basically slightly short on cash. And he does different studies sometimes to make money. He signed up for a focus group for only Hispanic guys age range 18-35. He claimed he was Dominican/Haitian well he actually didn't say that he said his father's mother's family was Haitian and his father father's family was Dominican which is true just his father's father isn't his genetic father. But Haitian is technically latino or whatever. Latinos look all sorts of things right? So like could a white guy also lie about his race? And get the same proceed? How do they weed out who's lying and who's telling the truth? Because I'm white and I wouldn't mind making 50 dollars an hour if all I had to do was say I'm like Argentinian or something. They're Hispanic right? So I mean does anyone know how those studies work?

Of course he can lie, anybody with a brain and good understanding of English could lie

The question is: should he lie? It's up to him and your moral compass to whether or not you should lie to get money. It's probably not a good idea if there's a risk of getting caught
yeah just get a wig
I am concerned if somehow they realize I'm not Hispanic they blacklist so I can get anymore focus groups.
I am concerned if somehow they realize I'm not Hispanic they blacklist so I can get anymore focus groups.

I don't condone lying in any way, shape or form, my personal opinion is that it's morally wrong. It also may go down on your criminal record if you're caught. My first piece of advice would not to lie and to just go and get a job somehow

If you still want to go through with this then I would contact one of the previous participants and ask them if they background check you or ask for official documentation (such as a driving license or passport) If they do you would likely get caught

But can't you be black and Hispanic??
Original post by Ladymusiclover
But can't you be black and Hispanic??

I am confused as I am.
I am confused as I am.

It's a bit confusing but there are black Hispanics like some Cubans and Dominicans. But the guy shouldn't have lied though.
In American we don't have a race on our passport or license itself. You only have it on your papers maybe to apply not even sure of that I know it's asked when getting the social security card. But you can change it any time it's not a form of identification as mixed people can have information saying they're black or white or mixed.

I have only done a taste test and I know a girl who did a focus group with them but it was open to all people. They collected her demographics because they need a specific amount of people of every background to participate but she looks unmistaknely black I doubt they'd at all doubt her. Also a job isn't as flexible with my schedule. This is only temporary and pays a good mount for only a little of my time. I don't know if I can be charged with anything. I think if anything I'll just be blacklisted if anything

haitians are not latino

the dude is probably haitian tho...most haitians lie about bein mixed with dominican...they got this self hatred issue

I am Hispanic. I'd like to find this focus group pls. Send me the details ty.

Quick Reply

Latest