The Student Room Group

Stick with my strategy consulting job?

Hi guys,

First post here. Long time voyeur.

Firstly, if you have any questions about strategy consulting feel free to ask them, and if I can help I'll endeavour to answer. Secondly, sorry for the poor grammar and all, but I work stupid hours and I'm really tired.

I attended (Durham/Warwick/Edinburgh), and shortly after graduating secured a job for a boutique strategy consulting firm (I'm still green, I've been working there for 3 months so far).

I'm really enjoying it - I've worked for world-leading clients, pitched to household names, I'm learning loads, etc etc.

BUT

I've been admitted into a masters programme I'm really interested in. The programme is a 2 years masters in Political Science. I love strategy consulting, but I think my passion really lies in international politics and foreign affairs.

The university is foreign, which is a huge draw. I'd be able to learn a new language (or rather improve my understanding of the language, I'm already semi-fluent), although the course is taught in English. It's the best university in the country (or at least top 2). I'd likely get to work in my field during the internship, and it seems like a really good time to experience a completely different culture and up sticks with no real commitments here (because I'm still in my early twenties).

The strategy consulting contract is for 6 months, and then there's a (likely) possibility of renewal. Do I accept the Masters offer, or reject it and stay in strategy consulting for the skills/learning/prestige? Note, the end goal is probably a job in foreign policy or something anyhow.
Original post by misc737
Hi guys,

Firstly, if you have any questions about strategy consulting feel free to ask them, and if I can help I'll endeavour to answer. Secondly, sorry for the poor grammar and all, but I work stupid hours and I'm really tired.

I attended (Durham/Warwick/Edinburgh), and shortly after graduating secured a job for a boutique strategy consulting firm (I'm still green, I've been working there for 3 months so far).

I'm really enjoying it - I've worked for world-leading clients, pitched to household names, I'm learning loads, etc etc.

BUT

I've been admitted into a masters programme I'm really interested in. The programme is a 2 years masters in Political Science. I love strategy consulting, but I think my passion really lies in international politics and foreign affairs.

The university is foreign, which is a huge draw. I'd be able to learn a new language (or rather improve my understanding of the language, I'm already semi-fluent), although the course is taught in English. It's the best university in the country (or at least top 2). I'd likely get to work in my field during the internship, and it seems like a really good time to experience a completely different culture and up sticks with no real commitments here (because I'm still in my early twenties).

The strategy consulting contract is for 6 months, and then there's a (likely) possibility of renewal. Do I accept the Masters offer, or reject it and stay in strategy consulting for the skills/learning/prestige? Note, the end goal is probably a job in foreign policy or something anyhow.

The fact that you will have 6 months work experience in strat consulting means you should easily get another job after your masters, be it in strat consulting or something else. If it's not related to your end goal then there's no point choosing it over a masters that is relevant, the extra prestige from spending more than 6 months in the job isn't really going to help you compared to 6 months + the masters + potentially being able to get back into it after your masters.
(edited 8 years ago)
Personally, I would stick working at the boutique firm. Building up as much experience now will reflect on your future opportunities, as well as on your financial life. Foreign affairs are great, myself being interested in geopolitics, however I deem it as a hobby, and suggest you to do the same. Considering how competitive the job market is, keep a tight grip on your position.
Original post by misc737
Hi guys,

BUT

It's quite clearly sciences po.

Go for master's, re got questions, I'm looking at strat firms after my masters going other way.

Be good if you pm me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending