The Student Room Group

Do I Have to Drink at Freshers?

Hello

I will be starting university in September and I really want to make some life long friends and meet alot of new people.

However my main concern is i do not really like Alcohol i mean i have had it but tbh i just hate the taste of it all and i would much rather never have another drop.

Would me not drinking hinder my chances of making friends and getting along with flatmates? From what i hear freshers is all about drinking litres of alcohol and sleeping with 100 people. I love going out clubbing and parties etc and i dont feel that not drinking has any effect on me, i have quite a fun personality and i dont really need alcohol to make me fun to be around.

So really my question is will not drinking make it hard for me to fit in with my flatmates or will it just not make a difference?

Also im going to be 22 so will be a few years older than people but i dont think that will matter???

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?

I've heard loads of people chose not to drink and your friends will accept it but try and convince you I guess
You will probably end up drinking by the time you finish first year lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Go for girly drinks, so long as you can get over like 2 jokes about not drinking beer you'll be fine and loving being drunk
You have no obligation to drink whatsoever, I won't be drinking during freshers (doubt I'll even leave my flat tbh). Freshers just gives you the opportunity to get close to the other members in your flat by spending time with them and loosing up or whatever, but I'm sure there would be no problem with this irrespective of whether you choose to drink or not, considering you'll be living together.
No big deal though haha :smile:
If certain people require you to drink alcohol in order to be friends with them, those are not people you want to be friends with anyway.
You don't have to do anything.
yes. mandatory fun.

nobody (originally) likes the taste of alcohol. nobody.
people just man up and get used to it because the inebriation is worth the ickiness
if you haven't drank much before, you will obviously hate the taste - I used to be the same way
I mean, who do you think is going to snort coke and say "eww that smelled horrible - I won't do that again" on their first try?
...sorry I think I went too far^
...my point still stands
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by martinnmartin
Anyone?

I've heard loads of people chose not to drink and your friends will accept it but try and convince you I guess
You will probably end up drinking by the time you finish first year lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wont drink im not easily peer pressured i go out most weekends and havent had alcohol i genuinely despise it.

Original post by preetg97
You have no obligation to drink whatsoever, I won't be drinking during freshers (doubt I'll even leave my flat tbh). Freshers just gives you the opportunity to get close to the other members in your flat by spending time with them and loosing up or whatever, but I'm sure there would be no problem with this irrespective of whether you choose to drink or not, considering you'll be living together.
No big deal though haha :smile:

That makes me feel better haha, drinking has never and will never appeal to me, i dont mind people getting drunk around me and what not and i enjoy going out just drinking something to have a good time i dont find appealing

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If certain people require you to drink alcohol in order to be friends with them, those are not people you want to be friends with anyway.

Very true.

Original post by AlmightyJesus
yes. mandatory fun.

nobody (originally) likes the taste of alcohol. nobody.
people just man up and get used to it because the ickiness is worth the inebriation.
if you haven't drank much before, you will obviously hate the taste - I used to be the same way
I mean, who do you think is going to snort coke and say "eww that smelled horrible - I won't do that again" on their first try?
...sorry I think I went too far^
...my point still stands

I have tried it numerous times, the taste is just one of the factors. Alcohol has no good effects on me, and people waste a whole day getting over a hangover whilst crying they have no money. How is that fun?
Original post by JJJJJJJJJJJJx
I have tried it numerous times, the taste is just one of the factors. Alcohol has no good effects on me, and people waste a whole day getting over a hangover whilst crying they have no money. How is that fun?

you haven't tried it enough - the first time I tried getting drunk I had 6 bottles of cider and I still didn't get drunk. some people just don't get drunk until they keep drinking regularly.
I don't ever get hangovers though, and I have mounds of pounds.
I won't be drinking due to religous reasons.
I don't mind people drinking around me though - honestly most wont have an issue with it as you can still have a good time with them & those who may have an issue with it, you wouldn't really want as a friend anyways

Lots won't be drinking either for various reasons so you won't be the only one
Just drink cola or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to not drink it's completely up to you, or if you choose to just drink at social occasions say a glass of liquor/beer/cider (whatever) but not so much to get smashed just enough to enjoy the drink. Besides you say you're fun to be around without the alcohol and that you are able to have a good time without it so why drink alcoholic beverages (especially since they are full of hidden calories and with just make you bloated and damage your liver). Also, I don't understand this british culture of drinking until you are drunk to have a good time (british but grew up abroad)..what's the point of it, all I see on nights out are girls/guys wobbling around incoherently muttering to themselves, falling over or puking their guts out, how is that fun?

Besides I feel there are quite a few who don't drink (a lot) at university you'll find. Even more so if you are doing sports competitively or you go to religious groups, societies. University has a mish mash of load of people so don't feel you have to do something that you don't like or aren't comfortable doing you'll definitely find your own niche of friends. Anyway good luck with uni and have fun :smile:
No although you might find a bit of social pressure to. Do not if you dont wnat to.

Just drink something non alcoholic.

It wont stop you making friends although you can get used to seeing some of them being drunk. You notice it more when you are sober.
Original post by JJJJJJJJJJJJx
Hello

I will be starting university in September and I really want to make some life long friends and meet alot of new people.

However my main concern is i do not really like Alcohol i mean i have had it but tbh i just hate the taste of it all and i would much rather never have another drop.

Would me not drinking hinder my chances of making friends and getting along with flatmates? From what i hear freshers is all about drinking litres of alcohol and sleeping with 100 people. I love going out clubbing and parties etc and i dont feel that not drinking has any effect on me, i have quite a fun personality and i dont really need alcohol to make me fun to be around.

So really my question is will not drinking make it hard for me to fit in with my flatmates or will it just not make a difference?

Also im going to be 22 so will be a few years older than people but i dont think that will matter???

I'll be in the same boat as you (other than the fact I'm not 22 haha), I don't like drinking and won't be doing it. Perhaps I'll have a glass or two just to try but I've never really drunk anything before and I'd really rather not.

For me it's not so much the taste, it's the fact I don't want to wake up the next morning feeling like utter **** haha

But honestly, I doubt anyone will really peer pressure you, that kind of stuff happens when you're like 12-13 and at uni everyone is old enough to make their own decisions and for people to respect that
Original post by connieiscrazy
But honestly, I doubt anyone will really peer pressure you, that kind of stuff happens when you're like 12-13 and at uni everyone is old enough to make their own decisions and for people to respect that

Rep for your avatar.

Peer pressure still happens, possibly more so than any other setting I have been in.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

Original post by ForestShadow
x

*bows*
Original post by DiddyDec
Rep for your avatar.

Peer pressure still happens, possibly more so than any other setting I have been in.

You're right. I guess what I meant was that I feel that it's less overt as you get older... but still present
people might try and convince you but to be honest if you are still fun and happy to go out clubbing then they probably wont bug you for long as they'll forget once they've had a few! you don't even need to make a big deal of it, just have a soft drink and don't add alcohol... I had a couple of friends who didn't drink throughout uni and got by fine, you do need to be prepared to go out clubbing, at least at first but if you're happy with that there's no issue
You don't have to drink to make friends.

Be yourself and hopefully you will find the right group of friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending