The Student Room Group

What top sets were you in school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I mean:

the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. Specific branches of linguistics include sociolinguistics, dialectology, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics, comparative linguistics, and structural linguistics.

More or less, our teachers gave us an hour of really relaxing lessons where we'd read David Crystal books and draw semantic networks, or learn about etymology.
They always came before or after Latin lessons, interestingly.

[I decided to do linguistics instead of horseriding :tongue:]

Personally I would have opted for horse riding.
All I can say is that I 'started from the bottom'...
Original post by Thomb
Personally I would have opted for horse riding.

I did for a day, but got incredibly bored incredibly quickly.

It was either Linguistics, Horse Riding, Rifle Shooting or Basic Further Mathematics [It wasn't even GCSE Level!]
Reply 63
I did for a day, but got incredibly bored incredibly quickly.

It was either Linguistics, Horse Riding, Rifle Shooting or Basic Further Mathematics [It wasn't even GCSE Level!]

So it was the science of language for you, what sort of a school was it?
Original post by Thomb
So it was the science of language for you, what sort of a school was it?

An independent mixed preparatory school! :tongue:
Reply 65
An independent mixed preparatory school! :tongue:

Sounds flashy. :tongue:
I never experienced these so called "Sets", the only set i get is a label as "Class database/nerd" (Database sounds way cooler).
Top set for everything. it isn't hard.
I wan't in any although I should have been in science seeing as i was getting 80%-99% in in class tests and got 100% inn the final GCSE exam
Was put in 2nd from bottom set for maths (and English) until year 11 as my teacher said Im never gonna be a natural mathematician. They tend to listen a bit more now I have my cambridge offer :tongue:
Original post by Thomb
Sounds flashy. :tongue:

Well, it depends on what you mean by 'flashy'...
Reply 71
Set 1 for:

RE
Chemistry
Physics
Spanish
Drama - Don't really have a set, theres just 2 classes
Maths - set 2
English - mixed
Reply 72
Well, it depends on what you mean by 'flashy'...

To learn linguistics at school is flashy?
At my school in years 7 and 8 the year group was split in half - the X half and the Y half. X and Y did not mix for any subjects. There were sets 1-4 in X and also in Y. The X group was higher than the Y group - ie X1 is higher than Y1, but Y1 is still higher than X2

We were set for maths and science (I was in X1 for both). English, PE, dance, geography and history were with our form groups. All other subjects (food tech, ICT etc) were in the same mixed ability classes.

Come year 9 when we started our GCSEs they mixed the X and Y halves of the year group and split into a new X and new Y. We were re-setted for maths and science (I was still in X1 for both). All other classes were mixed up but were not in sets.

I don't know why my school chose to make the setting system so complicated!
Reply 74
Set 2 for English and Science
Set 4 for Maths (which has now became a joke, because I do A-level Maths and Further Maths).

They pretty much are useless and does not mean anything.
Reply 75
Hmmmm for my GCSE's, I was in top sets for the majority of the classes but distinctively remember being in the highest set for English in my year, getting my highest grades (A in English Lang and a B in Lit.)

I remember starting out in the top set for Maths in Year 9 but gradually worked (or perhaps lack of work) down to Set 4 (Still did Higher but was borderline on going into Foundation) I didn't care and got a C in Maths I haven't thought about since. :colondollar:
Reply 76
Original post by arsenal 33
I was in top set for maths, science and ict, set 3 English, set 2 Spanish and set 2 humanities which I was moved up to top set for by GCSEs

We only had sets for Maths and Languages - I was in the top set for 4 years running for Maths (8-11) and 3 years running for both German and Spanish (my choice to do both - no regrets)(9-11). At my new school there are actually no sets, but the classes are arranged according to the order in which you chose your AS subjects - I'm not sure how it works for A2 really yet, because I'm still only in Year 12. Honestly, though, sets don't matter - you can't be defined by numbers, but then again, if you feel you're in the wrong set for a subject, so you're finding it too hard or too easy, take action, because then you don't need to struggle.
we don't have top sets any more at a level but from primary school to gcse i've been in top set for everything.
Reply 78
I've always been top set for English since Year 9 but for Science i've always been at the bottom of the top sets and i've dropped a few times from top set but i'm in top set currently. And I was also in top set for Humanities.
maths, science and german

I was pretty average for the arts subjects bar german

Quick Reply

Latest