The Student Room Group

HELP! AS Level History - Exam techniques ?

Currently in history I'm hitting grade D/C when I got an A in GCSE. I understand As level is a lot harder but my teacher puts it down to exam texhnique. No matter how much I look over my work I can't see what's wrong. Could someone help me and maybe give an example on how an AS Level History essay (20 marks) should be written ? It would help a lot ! Thank you!
( also I am studying Tudor history with the Dutch revolt )
Original post by sophhhampson
Currently in history I'm hitting grade D/C when I got an A in GCSE. I understand As level is a lot harder but my teacher puts it down to exam texhnique. No matter how much I look over my work I can't see what's wrong. Could someone help me and maybe give an example on how an AS Level History essay (20 marks) should be written ? It would help a lot ! Thank you!

What exam board?
Reply 2
Original post by sophhhampson

in terms of answering AS essays, I'd say use the point, explanation, evidence technique. I'm currently studying A2 history and i got 94/100 and 100/100 last year on AQA, although not for your topics (so I can't help you specifically with those) and I kept with that approach. make sure you make a point to introduce your argument. follow it up with an explanation and explain what actually happened in the event or whatever it is you're discussing. evidence would follow this, which could be the impact that it actually had - you have said what happened, and now you have said how it affected the outcome. this is where also if figures come in handy. also use historians options where necessary and as part of your evidence and remember to answer the question! this is where most people mess up. explicitly say "therefore this/that/they cannot be/can be considered successful/unsuccessful". by putting a point at the beginning of your paragraph and your evidence at the end, with your content in the middle, you're avoiding a narrative approach which people tend to take by accident and where they lose marks yet keeping your content there :smile:
Original post by geog1998
in terms of answering AS essays, I'd say use the point, explanation, evidence technique. I'm currently studying A2 history and i got 94/100 and 100/100 last year on AQA, although not for your topics (so I can't help you specifically with those) and I kept with that approach. make sure you make a point to introduce your argument. follow it up with an explanation and explain what actually happened in the event or whatever it is you're discussing. evidence would follow this, which could be the impact that it actually had - you have said what happened, and now you have said how it affected the outcome. this is where also if figures come in handy. also use historians options where necessary and as part of your evidence and remember to answer the question! this is where most people mess up. explicitly say "therefore this/that/they cannot be/can be considered successful/unsuccessful". by putting a point at the beginning of your paragraph and your evidence at the end, with your content in the middle, you're avoiding a narrative approach which people tend to take by accident and where they lose marks yet keeping your content there :smile:

do you have an examplar :smile:
Here's a few tips:

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

Condense events into 3 bullet points (linking with the point above)

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

Do every single past paper question

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute

Time yourself when doing essays

Practice writing really fast

If you're struggling with content then go through a revision book.

If teachers tell you some sort of prediction I suggest you don't go by it and revise everything!

Anything else you need help with? :h:
Reply 5
Original post by sophiamarni
do you have an examplar :smile:

I don't have any examples specifically for your topic but I could try to explain what I mean using the course I studied?
yes please do

Original post by geog1998
I don't have any examples specifically for your topic but I could try to explain what I mean using the course I studied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending