The Student Room Group

Dealing with bad semester in first year... Need advice!

Semester 1 went really it was organised by the course leader and I got great grades on most things then had a few weeks off. Semester 2 started. There was nothing to do for ages except attend lectures. I thought this was normal as my first semester started off like this. However one tutor I had for one lecture in semester 1 became my tutor for three lectures all with different deadlines (due next week). However said tutor is really unorganised, we were meant to get all of our assignments at the beginning of the semester, this didn't happen and is pretty much the reason I sat round doing nothing in my halls the first few weeks of semester 2. Because he hadn't given us our assignment it ended up getting pushed back a few weeks this meaning over these next two weeks I have six deadlines to meet. I feel that I haven't really had the time to do my best due to this.

Im pretty pissed off and feel that when doing the work I haven't wanted to to it as I've been pretty stressed out (should I mention that his lectures only slightly related to the work we needed to do so its been pretty much a game of guess what we need to get a decent grade) Im not sure what to do and I'm all around down because of it. Have you had the same problem or something like it because I'd love too know what you did?
Original post by AndyJBird
Have you had the same problem or something like it because I'd love too know what you did?

Hello!

Unfortunately, assignment deadlines and unorganized classes can occur, but there are things that you should be able to do. You should still have a course leader/class representative, so talk to them and see how other people on your course are feeling. That way your whole class can discuss deadlines and organization with your lecturers/department and they may be able to push back certain deadlines or resolve some issues.

Also, talk to your academic advisor about your situation as they will be able to give you some really good advice. Learning to deal with pressure like this can be a good thing, especially early. Be optimistic, do plenty of reading and work and you'll still get good grades. You'll also know how to deal with situations like this if they ever happen again. :smile:

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Original post by AndyJBird
Semester 1 went really it was organised by the course leader and I got great grades on most things then had a few weeks off. Semester 2 started. There was nothing to do for ages except attend lectures. I thought this was normal as my first semester started off like this. However one tutor I had for one lecture in semester 1 became my tutor for three lectures all with different deadlines (due next week). However said tutor is really unorganised, we were meant to get all of our assignments at the beginning of the semester, this didn't happen and is pretty much the reason I sat round doing nothing in my halls the first few weeks of semester 2. Because he hadn't given us our assignment it ended up getting pushed back a few weeks this meaning over these next two weeks I have six deadlines to meet. I feel that I haven't really had the time to do my best due to this.

Im pretty pissed off and feel that when doing the work I haven't wanted to to it as I've been pretty stressed out (should I mention that his lectures only slightly related to the work we needed to do so its been pretty much a game of guess what we need to get a decent grade) Im not sure what to do and I'm all around down because of it. Have you had the same problem or something like it because I'd love too know what you did?

Unfortunately, this is pretty common with most courses. You get to a point where a tutor is just unorganised and it stresses the entire group out but like I said, unfortunately there isn't much you can do. It's just something you've got to knuckle down on and push through. I know it's horrible and can really stress you out. It's a common problem that'll occur with all students, but like I said, the only thing to do is just take work into your own hands and just push through!

Hope you get through it okay!
It happens, it sounds crappy but ultimately there's probably nothing you can do now. I'd imagine all your deadlines are now right before/during exams so trying to get them pushed back will only ruin your revision. It's also pretty normal to get essays you feel like you're guessing! I would just do yourself a plan, do the best you can do in a reasonable time frame, prioritise essays which are worth more... then move on. It's one semester, you won't go from 70% marks to failing, you can fix whatever damage is done further on. The university will also be looking at the lecturers marks and if suddenly everyone on the course does badly they will take action over it, it probably won't help you but rest assured it will be noticed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending