The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJ1012
Hill starts.
Parallel parking.
Roundabouts (how do I know if they're turning right or about to turn off?!)
Reverse parking.
Big roundabouts at large roads with multiple lanes and ****, so confusing!
How on earth did I pass...?

Thought I'd address these for people reading because I'm bored :lol:

Hill starts - Same as normal starts, but more gas.

Parking - Always best to stick with your instructor's method here, unless that particular method really isn't working for you.

Roundabouts - watch their indicators! If they start to indicate left, it means they're leaving at the next exit. Always be aware of incorrect signals, though.

Big roundabouts - as a general rule, if you're taking, say, the third exit, you'd start in the third lane and so on. You should be in the left lane before your exit which will happen naturally if you stick to your lane; let's use third exit as an example again - the other lanes on your left will fork off to exits 1 and 2 and your lane will eventually become lane 1. So you might have 2 lanes to your left as you approach the second exit, notice how those two lanes fork off to the left and how the third lane becomes the first lane as you continue to the next exit.
Most people think there's a lot of lane changes going on, but if you take note of where the lanes to your left are going off and how you never really move away from the lane divider to your right, it becomes clear that you're in the same lane all the way round. If lanes were coloured, it'd make things much less confusing!
Of course, you get some roundabouts in which the layout varies, but either way, if there are any difficult roundabouts on your local test routes then your instructor should know them and teach you how to handle them.
Original post by LLB 4Lyfe
The urge to veer into people walking along the pavement.

:lol: overly tempting lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
I'm coming to the end of my driving lessons now and the things I struggled with most seem to be fairly similar to other replies.

Even though I know they're not complicated, I still don't feel completely confident with hill starts. Hesitation was also a bad point for me at roundabouts because similar to others, I'm never completely sure what other cars are doing. I also struggle with getting my manoeuvres consistently perfect. Parallel and bay parking are my least favourites.

It took me a while to start building up my confidence though so hang in there. Practice makes perfect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
The last 2 lessons I've had have only been 45 mins. Feel like I've done or learnt nothing in them :frown:
Reply 64
How many lessons have all you guys had so far? And how long to you guys think you'll be ready for your practical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had 27 hours worth of lessons and my test is in two weeks time. :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
How many lessons have all you guys had so far? And how long to you guys think you'll be ready for your practical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh gosh ermm roughly I think around 20-30 hours. And I've gotta do my theory which is in a couple of weeks and just work more on my manuvors then hopefully not much longer now :redface: how about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by ohhello92x
Oh gosh ermm roughly I think around 20-30 hours. And I've gotta do my theory which is in a couple of weeks and just work more on my manuvors then hopefully not much longer now :redface: how about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had 3 lessons with my current instructor and about 13 with my old one. Looking to sit (and pass :tongue: ) my practical during the summer :smile:

Good luck with your theory and let us know how you get on! I done mine last week and passed first time. As long as you do some studying, especially with the revision apps or discs, you'll be fine :smile:
I've had 3 lessons with my current instructor and about 13 with my old one. Looking to sit (and pass :tongue: ) my practical during the summer :smile:

Good luck with your theory and let us know how you get on! I done mine last week and passed first time. As long as you do some studying, especially with the revision apps or discs, you'll be fine :smile:

Ah ok cool :smile:
Thanks :biggrin: and well done :biggrin: yeah exactly :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking for myself in sticky situations, my indecisiveness ruins everything :frown:
Reply 70
Just back from a lesson and its been one of the best I have ever had in terms of making less mistakes and feeling like I am actually getting the hang of driving now instead of feeling like I am just winging it :colondollar: also had a great laugh with my instructor as always too which is nice :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a nice instructor is great. Once uou get used to handling the instructors car you're good to go. Just focus on what's around you and how to react appropriately.

My biggest struggle when taking driving lessons was when you give way on tight roads or on roads with cars parked on both sides. Also some roads can be tricky to understand!

Best of luck with your lessons and test
Reply 72
My next lesson on Monday is all out maneuvers. Not looking forward to it if I'm honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I struggled with pulling away. I could never pull away quickly so i had to wait for big gaps at junctions before pulling out. I also struggled with all the manouvres because you have to be so precise, and i wasnt.
Ive passed my test now afetr 32 hours of lessons and i now find everything a lot easier.

Hopefully youll pass first time with no issues :smile:! Good luck!
My next lesson on Monday is all out maneuvers. Not looking forward to it if I'm honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're my favourite lessons :smile: I love maneuvers.
Reply 75
Had to cancel my driving lesson today. Was up all night with a dodgy gut and nausea which tbh, I think is from my mum's wedding on Wednesday. I suffer from panics so it'll be a nerve racking but good day for me. Only got 2 hours sleep last night so thought it was best I cancelled since my lesson was early. I actually feel sad when my lessons get cancelled with this instructor because I get on so well with her whereas when my old lessons got cancelled, I felt nothing but relief.
Reply 76
Got a lesson in ten mins. Think its maneuvers since I missed that lesson last week. I am always a mix of nervous and excited before every lesson even though I love my instructor to bits :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
antici bloddy pation

the god awful roundabouts at Hither Green
Its been a while now since i passed but i used to struggle with roundabouts the most.

I passed my theory test on Thursday :biggrin:

My instructor reckons I'll be ready to do my practical around August time :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending