The Student Room Group

Braces

Hello,

I went to the Dentist and they have referred me for braces, due to a slight overbite. For this to work, they have said they'll need to remove two of my teeth. One is on the top right corner and the other is on the bottom left.

Originally, I was happy about being referred for braces. However, I'm starting to get worried due to the fact that they have to remove two of my teeth. There will obviously be two gaps, one of which will be very visible.

I would like to know whether the braces will eventually close up these gaps?
Hi BobDon,

It's highly likely that your braces will close up the gaps, you can check with your orthodontist for peace of mind if you like. I had four of my teeth removed before I could get braces, and the gaps are all closed up now :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi BobDon,

It's highly likely that your braces will close up the gaps, you can check with your orthodontist for peace of mind if you like. I had four of my teeth removed before I could get braces, and the gaps are all closed up now :smile:

One of my bottom teeth is slightly twisted in comparison to the rest of the bottom ones, what's the likelihood it would be removed if I had braces put in?
Reply 3
I had 4 removed for my braces & they just pulled the teeth together. I guess that's why it aches sometimes as they are being pulled into place.
:-)

PlGLET
Original post by BelgianBee
One of my bottom teeth is slightly twisted in comparison to the rest of the bottom ones, what's the likelihood it would be removed if I had braces put in?

I think they would be more likely to put the braces on and use something like a rotation wedge perhaps to straighten it, rather than removing it altogether. I could be wrong though, but I don't think they would remove any teeth unless you had an overcrowding issue or it was necessary for another reason :smile:
Reply 5

They'll probably just wire that tooth up as normal & let it twist back in-line with the others. :-)

PlGLET
Original post by BobDon
Hello,

I went to the Dentist and they have referred me for braces, due to a slight overbite. For this to work, they have said they'll need to remove two of my teeth. One is on the top right corner and the other is on the bottom left.

Originally, I was happy about being referred for braces. However, I'm starting to get worried due to the fact that they have to remove two of my teeth. There will obviously be two gaps, one of which will be very visible.

I would like to know whether the braces will eventually close up these gaps?

braces were the best choice for me and I feel so much more confident now that my teeth are straight, its been over two years since I have had them out and yes they will as I had big gaps too and had one tooth taken out for this process
Original post by Leviathan1741
I think they would be more likely to put the braces on and use something like a rotation wedge perhaps to straighten it, rather than removing it altogether. I could be wrong though, but I don't think they would remove any teeth unless you had an overcrowding issue or it was necessary for another reason :smile:

I could post a photo of what my teeth currently look like, but I may regret it later! :sadnod:
Reply 8
Original post by scnotcrazy
braces were the best choice for me and I feel so much more confident now that my teeth are straight, its been over two years since I have had them out and yes they will as I had big gaps too and had one tooth taken out for this process

I really want braces -__-

But I'm at sixth form and walking around with braces and a visible gap wont get me no girls :mad::eyeball:
I could post a photo of what my teeth currently look like, but I may regret it later! :sadnod:

I really don't think you need to worry, your orthodontist will explain what will happen during your treatment before you get the braces on, so you can decide then if you still want to go ahead with the treatment or not :smile:
Original post by BobDon
I really want braces -__-

But I'm at sixth form and walking around with braces and a visible gap wont get me no girls :mad::eyeball:

I had them in fourth year and I am in sixth year now and I didn't get any guys
but who cares ok see when your teeth look perfect I bet they will come but what is wrong with the way you look the now??????
Reply 11
Original post by scnotcrazy
I had them in fourth year and I am in sixth year now and I didn't get any guys
but who cares ok see when your teeth look perfect I bet they will come but what is wrong with the way you look the now??????

True, how long did it take for your gaps to close up?
All of these are questions for your orthodontist to answer.
Original post by BobDon
True, how long did it take for your gaps to close up?

just a year for me xx
Reply 14
It's all fun & games until you get the retainer. Then you'll sound like

Spoiler

;-)

PlGLET
Oh I really wish I had braces! :unimpressed:

But if you get teeth removed and then braces, the gaps will close up in due time! :biggrin:

Just make sure you keep wearing the retainers they give you post - braces. :redface:
It's just passed a year since I've had mine on, another to go I think, don't worry about getting a boyfriend or girlfriend, I've had no problem with mine, he's very understanding when it comes to tightening day - lots of ice cream for me! Honestly the best decision I've ever made, I'm in the last year of sixth form and will still have them on at uni but I'm not really bothered, if someone else is that's their problem :smile:
I had a massive overbite and gaps. 3 years later its all sorted!
I know a guy whos teeth were twisted and out of shape but he had braces and no teeth removed and his teeth now look really good.
But dont worry about having teeth removed!
Braces are designed to close up gaps! So that shouldnt be an issue!
But speak with your orthodontist about it all to see what will happen!

Quick Reply

Latest