The Student Room Group

What does the phrase "normally live in England" mean?

At the PGL eligibility description it is mentioned that " If you’re an EU national and don’t normally live in England, your university must be in England."

I would like to ask what criteria an EU national should meet in order to be considered that she/he is normally living in England.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kvlachos
At the PGL eligibility description it is mentioned that " If you’re an EU national and don’t normally live in England, your university must be in England."

I would like to ask what criteria an EU national should meet in order to be considered that she/he is normally living in England.

See the UKCISA guidance: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-3942

3: Non-UK EU nationals living in the UK and Islands

If you satisfy all the conditions under this category, you will be eligible for full Student Support.
To be eligible:
(a) an EU national, but not a UK national, on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
(b) ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course; and
(c) ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the three-year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
(d) if during any part of the three year period, the main purpose for your residence was to receive full-time education, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK or elsewhere in the EEA and/or Switzerland immediately prior to the 3-year period of ordinary residence in the UK and Islands. It does not matter if you were in the EEA and/or Switzerland mainly in order to receive full-time education during this earlier period.

NOTE: the residence requirement was increased from 3 years to 5 years for undergraduate support - I would assume the same will be true for PGLs

Ordinary residence definition is explained here: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#RL?rl_playlist=playlist3969&rl_id=4

Are you considering studying at a Welsh/Scottish/NI university then?
Original post by kvlachos

Hi

As an EU national applying for a Postgraduate Loan you’d be classed as normally living in England if you’ve lived there for at least three years before the start of your course, if this applies to you then you can study your Master’s course anywhere in the UK.

If you’ve been living in the EU (outside the UK) for at least three years before the start of the first academic year of your course you can still get a Postgraduate Loan, but your course has to be at a university in England.

Laura
Reply 3
Original post by Laura SFE
Hi

As an EU national applying for a Postgraduate Loan you’d be classed as normally living in England if you’ve lived there for at least three years before the start of your course, if this applies to you then you can study your Master’s course anywhere in the UK.

If you’ve been living in the EU (outside the UK) for at least three years before the start of the first academic year of your course you can still get a Postgraduate Loan, but your course has to be at a university in England.

Laura

Thank you very much Laura for your clear answer. I was a bit confused by that phrase but now it makes perfect sense to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending