The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roobsa
I knew there was one brand I was forgetting! SiS make good everything. Their new protein energy bars are really very nice and they regularly do promotions up to 50% off on boxes of gels and bars so keep an eye out on their site.

:five:

I'll try them next. I'll keep an eye on them too. Powder especially seems expensive compared to High5 tablets but when I'm not broke I guess I'll pick some up. Suppose it's not all that bad at the end of the day but still 3x more expensive than what I currently spend, I think. Guess I'll try the tablets first.
I've had SIS gels. Require a lot of water with them imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brainhuman
Woah, nice dude! And nice location too! You ever take photos?

What were you eating/drinking during that time? I've started doing longer rides and I am beginning to feel in need of energy towards the end. There is so much out there I am never sure what I should take. And all those energy bars and liquids, aren't that cheap either if you go often and take multiple ones it kinda adds up.

I use SIS sport and for longer rides (70+ miles) I'd have some 'proper' food too, either a sandwich or stop in a cafe for a jacket potato or something as I find my stomach gets upset if I rely solely on the carb drinks/bars for longer rides (puked too many times before realising...). If you buy them in bulk they're much cheaper. I always worry about bananas getting squashed in my pocket and I'd never manage to eat them without pulling over, have also tried biscuits/fig newtons and had the same problem, smashed them up and then couldn't eat while riding.

Original post by alexs2602
Weather's looking good next week. Hitting the mid teens and it looks like that will persist so finally hitting summer weather it looks like.

Looking forward to this. Got hit with hail/massive rain shower about 5 miles into a 60 miler today :frown: It had looked so nice when I left that I'd left my waterproof at home as well as my pockets were pretty full so I spent the whole ride trying to dry off.
Original post by doodle_333
I use SIS sport and for longer rides (70+ miles) I'd have some 'proper' food too, either a sandwich or stop in a cafe for a jacket potato or something as I find my stomach gets upset if I rely solely on the carb drinks/bars for longer rides (puked too many times before realising...). If you buy them in bulk they're much cheaper. I always worry about bananas getting squashed in my pocket and I'd never manage to eat them without pulling over, have also tried biscuits/fig newtons and had the same problem, smashed them up and then couldn't eat while riding.

Looking forward to this. Got hit with hail/massive rain shower about 5 miles into a 60 miler today :frown: It had looked so nice when I left that I'd left my waterproof at home as well as my pockets were pretty full so I spent the whole ride trying to dry off.

Hate that. I so need a waterproof jacket. It's on my list, I'll probably get one at the end of Summer/start of Autumn. Fingers crossed.

It's not quite the same until the weather's good. Riding your bike is always fun but it's more fun when you're not wet or cold.
Hate that. I so need a waterproof jacket. It's on my list, I'll probably get one at the end of Summer/start of Autumn. Fingers crossed.

It's not quite the same until the weather's good. Riding your bike is always fun but it's more fun when you're not wet or cold.

yes, spending all day out in the sun is always good
I like the SIS gels. Pink grapefruit one tastes like that pink calpol you used to have when you were a child :yy: The double espresso caffeine ones are good for when you're really flagging on a long ride too.
Reply 66
Original post by Serentonin
The double espresso caffeine ones are good for when you're really flagging on a long ride too.

Do you actually like those? I tried one once and could barely stomach even a little bit of it.

Why not buy a lightweight rain jacket? I wouldn't even dream of riding in the rain without a rain jacket even if it's warm out. Getting wet is horrible.

Something like this would be perfect for all but the most torrential of conditions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure if it's within people's price range, but Gore-Tex is amazing but tend to be a bit more expensive. I have two different jackets from them, a windproof vest that is amazing for warmer days if you know you will go downhill again at some point, and my long trousers are for them and even in heavy rain they work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
I like the SIS gels. Pink grapefruit one tastes like that pink calpol you used to have when you were a child :yy: The double espresso caffeine ones are good for when you're really flagging on a long ride too.

+1 for the double espresso

It's weird I'm not a fan of the espresso caffeine one; whilst I like the pick me up. Dehydration from it is real I find
Original post by Roobsa
Do you actually like those? I tried one once and could barely stomach even a little bit of it.

Yeah, but I love anything vaguely coffee-tasting. They get a bit sickly when they get really warm though :erm:

Epic ride btw! Bet that was fun!
Original post by dhr90
Bearings. May need to completely take pedal and BB bearings apart to find the fault. We get some truly horrific ones in work that have been trashed, left in the rain and all sorts.

Had to stop myself buying another clearance bike today, it was an utter bargain for a hardtail MTB, but just not worth it for me personally. Carrera Vengance ex demo for £100, new its £215, was over £400 when first released.

Can you remove the seal and regrease these bearings? I did dismantle my pedals but the bearings were so small I wasn't sure how to regrease the bearings themselves. At any rate it seems likely it's probably the BB. I spent a ridiculous amount of time wondering why my pedals were moving around so much on the axle, or whatever you want to call it, until I put the end cap in which held it in place.
Hi need some help

Looking to buy a new cheap bike and came across this
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/raleigh-militis-comp-road-bike-2015/rp-prod139001

Is it good for the price and its quality and being 8.3kg.

Would the 55cm frame be ideal for a 511/6ft guy? I've seen many pros use a frame size lower, so not sure to adhere to the chart for the frame guide.
Reply 73
Original post by exhaled page
Hi need some help

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/raleigh-militis-comp-road-bike-2015/rp-prod139001

Would the 55cm frame be ideal for a 511/6ft guy? I've seen many pros use a frame size lower, so not sure to adhere to the chart for the frame guide.

That's a great deal. Rival is a solid groupset.

As for sizing, ignore what the pros do since, you know, you're not a pro. A 55 might be slightly on the lower side for your height but I don't think it would be a bad fit. You can always raise the stem/bars. Just make sure you do the research over the geometry and compare to any other bikes you know fit you. Stack and reach are important stats to look at.
Reply 74
Original post by exhaled page
Hi need some help

55cm will fit you well. Similar height to you, 182, and ride a 56 but I'd prefer a slightly shorter top-tube. The advantage with 55 is if it's slightly too small you can make a big longer, and it's easier to make a bike longer than shorter.
Regreased bearings in bottom bracket but still not sure I've sorted it. Air needs to be still to hear what's happening properly and it's a slightly windy right now
Reply 76
Regreased bearings in bottom bracket but still not sure I've sorted it. Air needs to be still to hear what's happening properly and it's a slightly windy right now

Needs changed if there's significant play. They're normally pretty cheap unless it's a funny standard, shimano hollowtech is like £20.
Reply 77
Shouldn't be an issue. I've seen how to do both. I'm going to take a guess at the pedals and do them first. I'm at a loss for how it can be the bearings though. Both are quite new. 5months and 6 and a half months. On that note, what kind of experience did you have before getting the job? I can do most of my stuff. Few exceptions ofc.

I wouldn't have [got it] either. Bit of a run around if you don't care what happens to it but sounds like more hassle than it's worth - got to find space for it.

May be the bearings are completely shot or bearing cage a wreck even if you grease it to perfection. I know you look after your bike, but some just aren't put in properly in the factory, the state some stuff is when we get it in from Cambodia is shocking.
Just the work I had done on my bike and car really, fixing gears, cable brakes, general looknig after it, fixing punctures, car servicing. Had 4 years of retail experience behind me from tills, some sales work in the in store bakery and stocking shelves on the nightshift. I think its as much about your personality and how you intereact with the interviewers and the roleplay as if you were staff and aiding a customer. I'm confident they are happy they employed me given some of the big sales I've made (pulled a £200 sale into a £1k 2 bike sale last night for instance).

I wouldn't have used the bike really, I've got my old old bike I use as a general run around which is worthless, but also has such sentimental value to me that I won't ever sell it! Need to clean up my Saracen and advertise it somewhere too, would be happy with £50 I think.
Original post by dhr90
May be the bearings are completely shot or bearing cage a wreck even if you grease it to perfection. I know you look after your bike, but some just aren't put in properly in the factory, the state some stuff is when we get it in from Cambodia is shocking.
Just the work I had done on my bike and car really, fixing gears, cable brakes, general looking after it, fixing punctures, car servicing. Had 4 years of retail experience behind me from tills, some sales work in the in store bakery and stocking shelves on the nightshift. I think its as much about your personality and how you interact with the interviewers and the roleplay as if you were staff and aiding a customer. I'm confident they are happy they employed me given some of the big sales I've made (pulled a £200 sale into a £1k 2 bike sale last night for instance).

I wouldn't have used the bike really, I've got my old old bike I use as a general run around which is worthless, but also has such sentimental value to me that I won't ever sell it! Need to clean up my Saracen and advertise it somewhere too, would be happy with £50 I think.

I think I need to take it for a proper ride. It seems better after regreasing but not sure it's completely fixed. It's one of those things where when it's going on it's unmistakable but you don't bother remembering it so after trying to fix it you can't tell if you've made a difference or not. It must at least be a little better otherwise I would have thought it would have been obvious. If it comes to it I'll get a new set, only £10 but shouldn't come to that.

Also, my bad, meant to post a link to these bearings on my pedals.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-pedal-bearing-kit/rp-prod40145 Can the seal be removed from these?

Nice. Interesting. Yeah, I thought about getting some work fixing bikes but didn't think I had enough experience, for a LBS anyway.

Fair enough. Yeah, I've been thinking about a road bike and what it'd be like when I have two bikes. Only have the one right now but not sure I'd want to not be able to use my MTB on rougher terrain even if it wasn't to its full capacity. Still can't decide what to do about a road bike yet. Been thinking about disc brakes. I also cut through a country park which has a gravel path currently. I know there are gravel bikes but I guess I've got to think what I'm willing and not willing to do on a road bike and what I'm willing to refrain from.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
I think I need to take it for a proper ride. It seems better after regreasing but not sure it's completely fixed. It's one of those things where when it's going on it's unmistakable but you don't bother remembering it so after trying to fix it you can't tell if you've made a difference or not. It must at least be a little better otherwise I would have thought it would have been obvious. If it comes to it I'll get a new set, only £10 but shouldn't come to that.

Also, my bad, meant to post a link to these bearings on my pedals.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-pedal-bearing-kit/rp-prod40145 Can the seal be removed from these?

Nice. Interesting. Yeah, I thought about getting some work fixing bikes but didn't think I had enough experience, for a LBS anyway.

Fair enough. Yeah, I've been thinking about a road bike and what it'd be like when I have two bikes. Only have the one right now but not sure I'd want to not be able to use my MTB on rougher terrain even if it wasn't to its full capacity. Still can't decide what to do about a road bike yet. Been thinking about disc brakes. I also cut through a country park which has a gravel path currently. I know there are gravel bikes but I guess I've got to think what I'm willing and not willing to do on a road bike and what I'm willing to refrain from.

No idea about those bearings, but for the cost of a new seal, as the one in that will inevitably get damaged when you remove it may as well just get the new bearing kit.

No lbs will employ anyone as a mechanic/technician if they don't have retail experience already fixing bikes, you'll just end up as a sales rep who does basic fixes like punctures for a while, maybe indexing gears or the like, but in the real nitty gritty stripping a bike down and giving it a massive service, going into the BB etc will be done by someone they already employ, its just the way they do it, you have to work your way up from the bottom if you don't have actual previous experience of it in another shop. In 6 months-1 year I may be close to that level if I can stand the crap wages, but the big/tough repairs in our store are always going to be done by the mechanic who has been working there 7 years now.

Quick Reply

Latest