The Student Room Group

A Levels for History

I plan on doing History at university, and was thinking about taking History, English Lit and Biology at A Level, with an EPQ. Would these put me at a disadvantage? I also may have the option to do Spanish privately, but it would be really hard to do the coursework aspect of it.
Original post by LN1234
I plan on doing History at university, and was thinking about taking History, English Lit and Biology at A Level, with an EPQ. Would these put me at a disadvantage? I also may have the option to do Spanish privately, but it would be really hard to do the coursework aspect of it.

I don't understand how you could think you'd be at a disadvantage doing those subjects... they look fine to me... I wouldn't take 4 - universities only require 3 and they will be hard enough.
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
I don't understand how you could think you'd be at a disadvantage doing those subjects... they look fine to me... I wouldn't take 4 - universities only require 3 and they will be hard enough.

Thanks. I was just worried that for the top universities, most students would have four but if that's the case I'll stick to three
As long as you have History or in some cases simply just an essay based subject then you are at no disadvantage when applying for History. As you seem to have 2 essay based subjects and a science subject (which still looks impressive) you will be fine. EPQ's are valuable for any university course as well, so there is no problem with you taking that.
Reply 4
You wouldn't be at any disadvantage doing those subjects; I applied to 5 Russell groups for history with history physics and maths and I got offers from all of them! As long as you do history it doesn't really matter what your other subjects are (although some won't accept things like general studies etc); some Unis will even accept applicants without history A level. Just do subjects you enjoy as you're more likely to get those higher grades which to some extent is more important
Original post by LN1234
Thanks. I was just worried that for the top universities, most students would have four but if that's the case I'll stick to three

You'll be fine :smile: I have 3 plus a failed year 12 and still got offers from Birmingham among others :smile:

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest