The Student Room Group

How to lose weight and fat?

Hey, ive been comfort eating a fair amount recently and have noticed that ive put on weight and am now fatter.
Now im 5ft10 and weigh 10st2lbs i was 9st2lbs before this all!
Im defo fatter too as some of my shirts are tighter now and i dont need a belt for my trousers.
What are the most effective ways to lose the fat and reduce my weight a bit?
Thanks!

Comfort eating is due to the bullying ive been experiencing. Some of you will have read about it on my blog.
Reply 1
Original post by FireFreezer77
Hey, ive been comfort eating a fair amount recently and have noticed that ive put on weight and am now fatter.
Now im 5ft10 and weigh 10st2lbs i was 9st2lbs before this all!
Im defo fatter too as some of my shirts are tighter now and i dont need a belt for my trousers.
What are the most effective ways to lose the fat and reduce my weight a bit?
Thanks!

Comfort eating is due to the bullying ive been experiencing. Some of you will have read about it on my blog.

Stop comfort eating seems like the obvious choice lol.
Or - eat healthy things, as much as you like.
Fruit, veg etc - I find avo, bananas, spinach, dates, dried fruit/nuts the best personally :tongue:
Original post by Inazuma
Stop comfort eating seems like the obvious choice lol.
Or - eat healthy things, as much as you like.
Fruit, veg etc - I find avo, bananas, spinach, dates, dried fruit/nuts the best personally :tongue:

Its not as easy as that though!
Im a fussy eater and dont eat a lot of healthy stuff. Im gonna start eating it more now.
Ok ill give them a try!
Is it true that eggs are good too? Ive heard lots of good things.
Reply 3
Its not as easy as that though!
Im a fussy eater and dont eat a lot of healthy stuff. Im gonna start eating it more now.
Ok ill give them a try!
Is it true that eggs are good too? Ive heard lots of good things.

I know I know :wink:
Just keep trying new things till you find stuff you like. If you can't cut out the excess eating, better to at least be eating stuff that's good for you! Plus trying different ways of eating thing - eg Sweet potato - roasted, fries, soup etc
Eggs are good indeed, masses of nutrients in them.
If it's a sweet tooth definitely get dates. I'm immensely obsessed with them :tongue:

Oh and drink loads of water too :u:
Original post by Inazuma
I know I know :wink:
Just keep trying new things till you find stuff you like. If you can't cut out the excess eating, better to at least be eating stuff that's good for you! Plus trying different ways of eating thing - eg Sweet potato - roasted, fries, soup etc
Eggs are good indeed, masses of nutrients in them.
If it's a sweet tooth definitely get dates. I'm immensely obsessed with them :tongue:

Oh and drink loads of water too :u:

:smile:
Ill shop around and try different things and see what i like the best. Ideally ill subsitute the cakes amd stuff for things like apples and oranges. Ill defo try dates too!
Ill give that a go. Trying things in different ways does sound like a really good idea so thanks!
Thought so! Ill be eating eggs then. Is there any particular way of cooking them which is best? Or are all the ways healthy?

Will do! Ive started drinking more water recently so thats a positive!

Thankyou!
Reply 5
Eat less, exercise genius
Reply 6
:smile:
Ill shop around and try different things and see what i like the best. Ideally ill subsitute the cakes amd stuff for things like apples and oranges. Ill defo try dates too!
Ill give that a go. Trying things in different ways does sound like a really good idea so thanks!
Thought so! Ill be eating eggs then. Is there any particular way of cooking them which is best? Or are all the ways healthy?

Will do! Ive started drinking more water recently so thats a positive!

Thankyou!

Healthiest way of doing eggs would be boiled or poached, but a bit of fried or scrambled (with minimal oil) would be fine sometimes too :tongue:

Hope it all goes well for you!!
Original post by Inazuma
Healthiest way of doing eggs would be boiled or poached, but a bit of fried or scrambled (with minimal oil) would be fine sometimes too :tongue:

Hope it all goes well for you!!

Ok ill try that then!

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 8
You won't lose weight (and subsequently fat) unless you are at a calorie deficit (when you eat less calories than your body needs to maintain its weight). Simply will not and cannot happen unless you have a serious medical condition. Therefore you need to eat at a calorie deficit.

Firstly you need to find a new coping mechanism for the bullying. Regardless of what you eat as comfort food is it an unhealthy coping mechanism that gives you an unhealthy relationship with food.

Secondly work out your TDEE:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

Your TDEE is the amount of calories you body needs per day to maintain its current weight. It is dependant on your height, age, weight, gender, activity level and in some cases medical conditions. Now if you're exercising this will raise your TDEE so be sure to pick the correct activity level, but remember to be honest with yourself. Don't pick a high activity level if you're only exercising 3 times a week for half an hour, that little exercise won't raise your TDEE that much and if you're unsure it's probably better to pick the lower activity level when trying to lose weight.

The logistics of weight loss are very simple, if you eat less calories than your body burns in a day you will lose weight, if you eat on par with your calorific needs you will maintain weight and if you eat above your calorific needs you gain weight.

Ignore anyone telling you to go on ridiculous detoxes, telling you to cut out entire food groups (such as carbs, fats ect) or fad diets, and if you have a habit of doing those then stop it. They're pointless, don't work and are the lazy mans way out. Weight loss logistically is simple, so don't overcomplicate it or get sucked into fads and obsessive weight loss nonsense such as "fat burning foods" they're nonsense and lead people to failure. Also ignore anyone saying green tea helps you lose weight, it doesn't. It's complete nonsense. You could drink 3 litres of green tea a day and the effects on your weight will be non existent if you are not eating at a calorie deficit, people often read into these fads and do these things while also eating less as a result they get confirmation bias and for some reason think it's the green tea or the "fat burning foods" that give them results rather than their actual calorie restriction efforts. It's because people love quick fixes and want to believe it's easy.

once you have your TDEE all you need to do to ensure you lose weight is eat under that amount of calories. How much and how quickly you lose weight depends on how many less calories you eat. For example if you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE a day you will lose approximately 1lb a week (as 1lb of fat is approximately 3500 calories, 3500/500 = 7 days).

Don't be discouraged if you find some weeks you don't see the scale go down, sometimes you will see the scale go down a massive jump, sometimes steady and others nothing at all. Also be aware a fluctuation in a couple of lbs is perfectly normal this is fluid not fat.

You should count your calories on www.myfitnesspal.com it's quick and easy. Be sure to be accurate when counting your calories, and don't forget things like sauces, drinks and oil when cooking these are things people often forget to count but can make a big calorific difference. If after 4-6 weeks you haven't seen a shift in the scales you're either not counting your calories accurately and are eating more than you think or you're not at a big enough deficit (remember TDEE is no 100% accurate but it is a good start) so reduce your calories by another couple of hundred calories and reassess in another 4-6 weeks.

In terms of diet, what food you eat has little to no affect on weight loss. It's the calories. However you should aim to eat a balanced diet not just for health reasons but also for satiation and to keep you sane. Don't get hung up on whether "eggs are healthy", so long as you eat foods in moderation you have very little to worry about.

Remember not to throw yourself in at the deep end or torture yourself with calorie goals that are too strict, because you will be miserable and you will almost certainly give up. You didn't get to this weight over night, so don't expect to reach your goal over night either.

If you find yourself plateauing in weight loss after losing quite a bit of weight that is likely because the less you weigh the lower your TDEE so you may no longer be in a large enough calorie deficit to keep maintaining your steady weight loss at the same amount of calories. So through your weight loss journey keep checking your TDEE and adjusting your calorific intake accordingly.

Once you have reached your weight loss goal (and you will) recalculate your TDEE as it will be lower. Eat that amount of calories a day on average and you will maintain your weight. As remember you can't just go back to eating as much as you did before, you got to this weight for a reason.

As you can see from this (probably too long) post weight loss is logistically very simple, it's sticking to it that is hard. If you're going to do this you're going to have to put your all into it, it is a lifestyle change and not a diet you have to leave your excuses at the door.
Reply 10
First, you have to realize that weight loss is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. It takes time to lose weight if you want to see real, lasting results and you need to keep at it even if you lose your desired amount of weight. As you already know, you need to follow a healthy, balanced diet. This doesn't mean you have to live off salads or cut out meals. It just means to have to control your portions, make good choices, and stay away from junk food. Water is also very important. Then you need to make sure you incorporate exercise. I personally don't like going to the gym so I try to find good workout DVDs to do at home. I signed up for Beachbody's online workouts and it's helped me significantly. There's a lot of variety, they are mostly short workouts, and some can even be fun. Try different things and see what works best for you.
Probably everything sophie says.

If you lose weight a % will be fat and a % will be muscle. So by default you will always lose some fat. If you wnat to increase the amount of fat you lose then lift weights.
Eat less, exercise more. It's really really easy

Quick Reply

Latest