The Student Room Group

Trading alternatives

What internships should an aspiring trader (at an IB) apply to as a back-up? For IBD, I have heard of people applying for audit grad schemes and corporate finance schemes but I don't know if this is also what people who failed to get into trading do? I have a passion for the financial markets so i have also considered asset management but heard that this is even more competitive? I'm doing maths and econ btw
Original post by hoping4thebest
What internships should an aspiring trader (at an IB) apply to as a back-up? For IBD, I have heard of people applying for audit grad schemes and corporate finance schemes but I don't know if this is also what people who failed to get into trading do? I have a passion for the financial markets so i have also considered asset management but heard that this is even more competitive? I'm doing maths and econ btw

There aren't any backups tbh.. You should get something after you've exhausted all of the BBs, the prop trading firms, the middle market/lower tier banks, and asset management/hedge funds.

A back up would be to get on a masters program in order to try again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hoping4thebest
Either go for some prop trading firms (which are also extremely competitive) or join a masters' program. Or do another career that you might find interesting like accounting or actuarial work.
Original post by Princepieman
There aren't any backups tbh.. You should get something after you've exhausted all of the BBs, the prop trading firms, the middle market/lower tier banks, and asset management/hedge funds.A back up would be to get on a masters program in order to try again.Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? The chances of getting an internship, let alone a grad role, at any of these firms is extremely low for an average candidate, even from a target uni. But i agree that a masters would be the best option for OP if he fails to get into trading
Original post by Ladbants
Really? The chances of getting an internship, let alone a grad role, at any of these firms is extremely low for an average candidate, even from a target uni. But i agree that a masters would be the best option for OP if he fails to get into trading

Yes really.. Forget statistics for once, and realise there are about 60-80 firms with trading/markets operations. The chances of you getting an interview are pretty solid if you don't put yourself out of the running with any of the following: subpar grades, subpar uni or subpar CV. I think people forget that more interviews than places are given out and individual probabilities vary amongst applicants..

Case in point, I'm in a 'finance careers support' group (about 20-30) with current uni students and 100% of them have landed summer offers.

I will reiterate OP should land something if they exhaust all avenues, if they're not getting interviews they need to fix up their application or start networking. And really, anyone who's fazed by competition should probably reconsider going into the industry as the competition only gets more immense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Yes really.. Forget statistics for once, and realise there are about 60-80 firms with trading/markets operations. The chances of you getting an interview are pretty solid if you don't put yourself out of the running with any of the following: subpar grades, subpar uni or subpar CV. I think people forget that more interviews than places are given out and individual probabilities vary amongst applicants..

Case in point, I'm in a 'finance careers support' group (about 20-30) with current uni students and 100% of them have landed summer offers.

I will reiterate OP should land something if they exhaust all avenues, if they're not getting interviews they need to fix up their application or start networking. And really, anyone who's fazed by competition should probably reconsider going into the industry as the competition only gets more immense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. but surely there are very few trading jobs outside the top tier banks? they are mostly sales jobs that they are hiring for now.
Original post by Ladbants
Ok. but surely there are very few trading jobs outside the top tier banks? they are mostly sales jobs that they are hiring for now.

Tell me how many 'top tier' banks you think there are.

Dunno about the ratio of sales to trading but most reputable banks will have some form of trading desk which will be hiring grads. Not to mention AM firms looking for analysts/portfolio management trainees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending