The Student Room Group

Anti-learning culture - does it exist and what do we do about it?

It has often been noted that in many English state schools, anti-intellectual sentiment is extremely rife and that previously bright students who enter such schools aged 11 are, by the age of 16, nowhere near their potential and in fact have taken active steps to try and becoming non academic so as not to be deemed a "geek".

Has anyone witnessed this, and what can be done about it? It seems like a huge problem for the UK in particular, where we have some of the world's best universities yet we've more likely to find male students wanting to be footballer rather than to maximize their academic potential.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A massive problem in my school. Many self-sabotaging their education to look cool/funny or to just not get beat up.
I suggest stricter rules, kick kids out that don't want to be there.
Always infuriates me watching "Educating Essex" etc, when they try and act like sticking with some dickhead who disrupts everyone else all paid off when they get their 3D's and a C.
It stems from the welfare state. I think the welfare state is a great thing, but unfortunately it has this effect. Contrast Britain to China for instance. In China, kids work their asses off in school because they know that if they don't then they'll end up being made to work in the coal mines and die of respiratory failure by the time they're 40 or some similarly macabre fate. Your education matters, because it's a dog-eat-dog world over there. If you don't do well in school it'll massively affect the rest of your life, and quite possibly cut it short by decades.

Whereas in Britain, we have the NHS and social welfare and reasonably paid, low-skilled jobs galore. There is no such pressure to do your best in school, because the ramifications for underachieving are so much lesser. Which isn't to say that social welfare is a bad thing, it's just one of the unfortunate side effects.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
It stems from the welfare state. I think the welfare state is a great thing, but unfortunately it has this effect. Contrast Britain to China for instance. In China, kids work their asses off in school because they know that if they don't then they'll end up being made to work in the coal mines and die of respiratory failure by the time they're 40 or some similarly macabre fate. Your education matters, because it's a dog-eat-dog world over there. If you don't do well in school it'll massively affect the rest of your life, and quite possibly cut it short by decades.

Whereas in Britain, we have the NHS and social welfare and reasonably paid, low-skilled jobs galore. There is no such pressure to do your best in school, because the ramifications for underachieving are so much lesser. Which isn't to say that social welfare is a bad thing, it's just one of the unfortunate side effects.

Well put.
Intellect is not as valued in the UK as it used to be. Take the case of junior doctors. They are some of the brightest academic high-achievers in our society, yet according to recent surveys the majority are considering leaving the profession for abroad. Too many teachers, too, leave within 5 years of qualifying.
School gives children one finite way of being recognised as meaningful. Getting good grades in specific subjects. Good at PE, Art, or DT? They don't care. This causes divisions, feelings of inadequacy and a 'rebel against the machine nature', if you're told you suck and you need to work harder and do more because the 'smart kids' either work hard or were just born with the right set of talents then how would you take that as a young adult or even a small child? Individuality is discouraged, pupils are squashed and manipulated to be a certain way and it shows. The supposed solution was participation medals for all but that makes it worse as things are ranked inherently and so students get picked on for fourth place ribbons, or distinctions in Art. These are the dissenters, those who lose interest and disrupt others. Very few kids are aimless. When i worked with younger students invariably the ones i was warned were 'troublemakers' were those who struggled or who couldnt do it and didnt want to try and fail because of the big red x showing all their effort wasnt worth it, or the D that no matter how hard they worked got them told off and their parents called in to school.

This doesnt cover the fact education teaches specific patterns of memorisation. There is no real consideration, no scepticism, no linking or rejection of incorrect facts. Even at uni level the way you are taught is to learn and regurgitate, to quote and to remember specific facts. When you train out the ability to think and act independently, you produce poorly adjusted adults who are by most counts relatively stupid in terms of actual understanding. They can quote Marx and Engels as well as anyone but cant critically analyse what he says, and this goes for many areas of study.
In my school..no, not really. In other schools surrounding the area, sure. I went to a nice school tbf
It's more to do with the backgrounds and parents children come from.
Reply 8
This was the case even at my grammar school.

I think the way forward is to give children a meaningful way to prove themselves and develop courage, self-confidence, humility and respect for others.

I think we should teach Martial Arts in schools. Forget about PE, which is pretty useless anyway, and instead teach Judo, Boxing or Fencing four times a week. Martial Arts are very much compatible with a personal learning culture (growth mindset) and teaching culture (it's quite common for more advanced pupils to show less advanced pupils how to do something). Pupils can also compete locally, regionally, nationally and even internationally.

PS. I think team sports are good, but they do encourage cheating, blaming team-mates for your own shortcomings or bullying them for being different from the pack. Unless you have a very good coach who stamps out such behaviours, I'd say that they are not really compatible with a positive learning culture.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by llys
This was the case even at my grammar school.

I think the way forward is to give children a meaningful way to prove themselves and develop courage, self-confidence, humility and respect for others.

I think we should teach Martial Arts in schools. Forget about PE, which is pretty useless anyway, and instead teach Judo, Boxing or Fencing four times a week. Martial Arts are very much compatible with a personal learning culture (growth mindset) and teaching culture (it's quite common for more advanced pupils to show less advanced pupils how to do something). Pupils can also compete locally, regionally, nationally and even internationally.

PS. I think team sports are good, but they do encourage cheating, blaming team-mates for your own shortcomings or bullying them for being different from the pack. Unless you have a very good coach who stamps out such behaviours, I'd say that they are not really compatible with a positive learning culture.

You obviously went to a grammar school if you want to make it mandatory for all children to learn how to fight lol. Most martial artists - myself included - are a specific sort of person, the growth is based on their personality not the other way around. The licensing agency and the master were very strict, anyone misusing or even wrongly representing the art could be subject to a discretionary lifetime ban. As all instructors had to be licensed through the same authority, it would mean blacklisting anywhere in the UK. That's quite the punishment. Remove the ability to have real punishment for abuses of such power and it may cause a lot of problems, plus it allows the bullies to figure out who they can safely have a go at. Schools should not mandate such behaviours in my opinion, although some sort of focus on personal growth and attaining ones own self worth should be in the curriculum, even if its just stopping the inherent valuation of those who do well over those who do not.
Reply 10
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
You obviously went to a grammar school if you want to make it mandatory for all children to learn how to fight lol. Most martial artists - myself included - are a specific sort of person, the growth is based on their personality not the other way around. The licensing agency and the master were very strict, anyone misusing or even wrongly representing the art could be subject to a discretionary lifetime ban. As all instructors had to be licensed through the same authority, it would mean blacklisting anywhere in the UK. That's quite the punishment. Remove the ability to have real punishment for abuses of such power and it may cause a lot of problems, plus it allows the bullies to figure out who they can safely have a go at. Schools should not mandate such behaviours in my opinion, although some sort of focus on personal growth and attaining ones own self worth should be in the curriculum, even if its just stopping the inherent valuation of those who do well over those who do not.

I would of course permanently expel pupils who abuse the arts. I think that the rigid code / honour system associated with traditional martial arts would make it quite easy to spot bullies - and then you would have a very good excuse to expel them. (It's all hypothetical since this is a pipe-dream anyway.) BTW, interesting fact: 60% of Japanese schools already teach Judo, and the Japanese government has now made Judo compulsory for middle schools. Not sure how well they teach it though.
Reply 11
Yeah, seen it loads. One friend was top of his school for maths in Year 6, one of the highest IQs in the school, proper candidate for straight A*s at A level imo but ended up with something like ABB (no car crash, obviously, but still). Other friends also were smart, and did quite badly relatively to their ability. Much more common with guys it seems.
Original post by bassala
It has often been noted that in many English state schools, anti-intellectual sentiment is extremely rife and that previously bright students who enter such schools aged 11 are, by the age of 16, nowhere near their potential and in fact have taken active steps to try and becoming non academic so as not to be deemed a "geek".

Has anyone witnessed this, and what can be done about it? It seems like a huge problem for the UK in particular, where we have some of the world's best universities yet we've more likely to find male students wanting to be footballer rather than to maximize their academic potential.

If those pupils are put off by the stigma of the geek label, that shows how dumb they are so let them be dumb, it's their destiny.
Original post by llys
I would of course permanently expel pupils who abuse the arts. I think that the rigid code / honour system associated with traditional martial arts would make it quite easy to spot bullies - and then you would have a very good excuse to expel them. (It's all hypothetical since this is a pipe-dream anyway.) BTW, interesting fact: 60% of Japanese schools already teach Judo, and the Japanese government has now made Judo compulsory for middle schools. Not sure how well they teach it though.

And send them where if its mandatory at all schools? If you have some schools that can't teach it then they'll get picked on because of their uniforms as people will know they can't defend themselves. You'd be surprised, people will happily pretend if it gets them where they want to go - no demographic more so than children. The bullies would be the ones who did everything to the letter, because they were thinking ahead. There's a reason bullying is pervasive in this country and a common criticism is schools are powerless to - or dont stop them - it also happens to be a legitimate criticism, though the schools do like to target those who fight back as they tend not to do so in a calculated manner.

Judo isnt really a conventional martial art though, its like Taekwondo. Its great in a competitive setting but try it in any other format and you'll get beaten up lol. Judo is a reactive martial art so i suppose that explains its use in such a fashion, most of its moves are in response to something - it has very few offensive moves.
Reply 14
And send them where if its mandatory at all schools? And send them where if its mandatory at all schools?

PRUs, just like now.

In fact, bullying is the same problem now, isn't it - only you don't do anything about it. Do you really think teaching Martial Arts would make bullying worse?

Judo isnt really a conventional martial art though, its like Taekwondo. Its great in a competitive setting but try it in any other format and you'll get beaten up lol. Judo is a reactive martial art so i suppose that explains its use in such a fashion, most of its moves are in response to something - it has very few offensive moves.

There is no suggestion they should try it in "another format" !

BTW what do you consider "conventional" martial arts?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by llys
PRUs, just like now.

In fact, bullying is the same problem now, isn't it - only you don't do anything about it. Do you really think teaching Martial Arts would make bullying worse?

There is no suggestion they should try it in "another format" !

Bullies usually are bigger and more naturally aggressive than their classmates, or smarter, or more ready to use underhand tactics. They have something out of the norm, generally low levels of worry concerning consequence to themselves or others (according to a psychological paper, which i cant link to so feel free to cast dispersion's as this was a handout in my psych class). Child A may not want to hit someone because they might hurt them, child B does not care. Child B knows he can inflict damage as he has been taught how, the consequence is near inevitable. Some kids don't like to or can't fight, even if pushed to the edge. If you tried to put every child that abused these lessons in PRU you'd have more PRU referrals than normal students, the cost would be astronomical. Kids naturally push boundaries, they're kids.

No of course not, my point is it makes sense to teach Judo as it comes with the extreme caveat that in a full fight situation it has little use as well as having few offensive moves so in teaching it you limit the danger of students using it.
Reply 16
Bullies usually are bigger and more naturally aggressive than their classmates, or smarter, or more ready to use underhand tactics. They have something out of the norm, generally low levels of worry concerning consequence to themselves or others (according to a psychological paper, which i cant link to so feel free to cast dispersion's as this was a handout in my psych class). Child A may not want to hit someone because they might hurt them, child B does not care. Child B knows he can inflict damage as he has been taught how, the consequence is near inevitable. Some kids don't like to or can't fight, even if pushed to the edge. If you tried to put every child that abused these lessons in PRU you'd have more PRU referrals than normal students, the cost would be astronomical. Kids naturally push boundaries, they're kids.

There will always be bullies. The question is if there will be more, or fewer, if you teach children martial arts. I think there probably will be about the same, and the proportion of bullies who are willing to use violence will also remain about the same. I don't really see why there would be more - unless you think there are currently a lot of wannabe-bullies who can't live out their bullying fantasies in schools because they just need martial arts to unleash them.

I really very much doubt your last assertion in bold, that's just hyperbole.
Reply 17
No of course not, my point is it makes sense to teach Judo as it comes with the extreme caveat that in a full fight situation it has little use as well as having few offensive moves so in teaching it you limit the danger of students using it.

Well then, let's teach Judo. :wink:
Original post by llys
There will always be bullies. The question is if there will be more, or fewer, if you teach children martial arts. I think there probably will be about the same, and the proportion of bullies who are willing to use violence will also remain about the same. I don't really see why there would be more - unless you think there are currently a lot of wannabe-bullies who can't live out their bullying fantasies in schools because they just need martial arts to unleash them.

I really very much doubt your last assertion in bold, that's just hyperbole.

I'm not saying necessarily there would be more, I'm saying its not a good idea to teach those who already exist martial arts. Teaching it - and thus arming those who would inflict harm with the means to do so - is largely negative as it wont teach the discipline or mindset needed due to the fact its not required in a mandatory subject. How many people tried hard to be good at PE? Very few, those who were naturally athletic breezed it, those who werent didnt bother. Same in a lot of other subjects, those who are good get invested and try, those who are not pretend they dont care or dont pay attention to mitigate their lack of comprehension. Nobody likes feeling stupid. The point I am making is the premise of using it to teach modes of thought wont be practically useful as it subsections into those who are athletic and coordinated (ie can get it) and subsections again into those willing to buy into the ethos it teaches, not to mention you'd have to hire experts in order to keep the message on tone as it certainly wouldnt be respected from a standard teacher in most schools in the UK.

And whats wrong with hyperbole? =P Factually speaking if abuse of this mandatory lesson (which could be so defined in any physical confrontation) would result in PRU referral the numbers would hike massively, a lot of kids would suffer under the harsher regimes they wouldnt be equipped to deal with and it would cost a lot of money.

edit - i appreciate this would be less the case with judo, though i suspect the placebo effect would take place 'i know martial arts i can hurt peoples' and thus make it a self fulfilling prophecy
(edited 7 years ago)

Even at uni level the way you are taught is to learn and regurgitate, to quote and to remember specific facts. When you train out the ability to think and act independently, you produce poorly adjusted adults who are by most counts relatively stupid in terms of actual understanding. They can quote Marx and Engels as well as anyone but cant critically analyse what he says, and this goes for many areas of study.

I liked the rest of your comment, but it never ceases to baffle me how people like you feel qualified to make such sweeping statements about people studying degrees completely different from their own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending