The Student Room Group

I've to make a decision! Studying Medicine.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samman282
Hey!
So I left HS almost 2 years ago. I started studying Medicine in Poland (English division) since my grades are below the entry reqs but I left after a month. It was very stressful there, we had 1-2 tests about the upcoming chapter everyday and lectures until 6 and 8 p.m.. I knew it was going to be stressful (and of course it's manageable, but hard) but in Poland there's no time left for doing much besides studying and eating and I know it's not like this in other countries. In Germany (my country), many students have part time jobs and still enough time for studying and living. Right now I am doing an internship at the hospital, but I don't know what to do.

Okay so basically I have two options left:
A) Go to another university in Poland and hope it's going to be better. And if it's not, keep with it no matter what. I've been thinking about Warsaw, but deadline is today so I've to decide today.
B) Study something different (I can't study in Germany, because after doing that there'd be no chance to study medicine in Germany
-in the UK (I've offers for BA and BSc Psychology in Scotland) and go for the graduate medical program in the UK after 4 years.
-in the US (more expensive), which would let me have a much broader education which I'd love to have and go for the graduate medical program in the UK afterwards and if that doesn't work out, I'd be able to study medicine in Poland in a shortened medical program.
And, since I studied abroad I'd be able to study medicine in Germany tuition-free by only waiting one more year after graduation though it's not a shortened pprogram (you can be admitted automatically after waiting 6 years in Germany).

As you see I thought through that like 1000 times and even though the first option is shorter, safer and more direct, the other option is more like the way I'd like to go. On the other side it seems like it's a stupid idea thinking I could end up in Poland after my Bachelor's degree. Any comments are very appreciated! :smile:

As your English is nigh-on perfect (judging from your posts), have you considered studying elsewhere in Europe, with less stringent entry requirements and cheaper fees? Bulgaria, the Czech Republic and Romania seem to be popular options, as does Italy.
So many opinions, thanks to all of you!
I absolutely realize it's not going to be easy in Scotland in order to be admitted to a GEM program though I'm still seriously considering that route. The alternative to that program is a 4 year medical program in Poland. In Scotland, I'd do a degree in either Psychology or Biomedical Science, I'm interested in both degrees and would be happy to work in these fields, BUT I'd be much more happy to be a doctor. So I applied to the Medical University of Warsaw and took the admissions test. Everybody found it very hard though so I don't know whether or not I'll be in.

Original post by navarre
As your English is nigh-on perfect (judging from your posts), have you considered studying elsewhere in Europe, with less stringent entry requirements and cheaper fees? Bulgaria, the Czech Republic and Romania seem to be popular options, as does Italy.

Poland is regarded as the best from all of these countries. Romania and Bulgaria, not so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prospectivemed56
OP, unless you are very confident that you will get an excellent result in a non-medicine undergraduate degree and meet all the other GEM requirements, or that you would be happy pursuing a career in whatever subject it is if your graduate application to medicine is unsuccessful, then for the love of all that is holy don't pursue a 4-year undergraduate degree for the sake of a shot at at place on a GEM program.

First of all, the competition ratio is anywhere from 10:1 to 30:1 on these GEM courses. The entrance requirements might look relatively low (you can get in with 'good enough' school and university results), but that is because these courses screen out a huge number of otherwise qualified applications at the pre- and post-interview stages. You need to show commitment, volunteering, aptitude, medical work experience, self-awareness, introspection, reflection, and commitment again, and that's just to make it to interview.

Second, assuming you are from somewhere in the EU, you wouldn't qualify for maintenance grants or loans from either SAAS in Scotland or SFE in England; you would have to support yourself throughout both degrees, and it's almost impossible to work part-time during a GEM course. To apply for maintenance loans for GEM, you need to have been resident in the UK not for the purposes of studying - and they will demand to see evidence. You might not even qualify for the tuition fee loan from SFE for GEM for the same reason.

Third, by the time you would be applying to GEM courses, it will already be 2021. The future of these programs is seriously in doubt, and they may well have been scrapped by then. It's a huge gamble to take unless you're committed to a potential career in your undergrad topic if medicine doesn't pan out.

Why don't you try to apply to undergraduate medicine in Scotland instead? It's much less competitive than GEM, meets all of the usual UK regulatory requirements, and is free! Even if it would take you an extra year to gain or improve your qualifications, surely that's better then spending an extra four years doing a degree that you're not really interested in?

Unfortunately, there is no way to improve or gain extra qualifications in Germany.
Original post by samman282
Unfortunately, there is no way to improve or gain extra qualifications in Germany.

That's a shame! It sounds like you will enjoy psychology/biomedical sciences in any case, and you might be lucky with the Polish medicine course. Just be careful with UK student fees/funding, as they are very complicated (particularly for EU and/or graduate students) and don't make much sense!

You could also look at doing graduate entry medicine in Ireland. It's expensive, but reasonably straightforward to get into.

Good luck with your applications!
Since I left HS 2 years ago that'd be one of the first things I'd have thought of since my grades are something like ABB in UK grades. Yeah, I already know about the funding, though it's really easy to be funded by SAAS in Scotland. And I'd also be supported a bit by our government. I applied to Warsaw and took the test on Saturday so I'll wait for their decision and decide then.
Thank you :smile:.

Original post by prospectivemed56
That's a shame! It sounds like you will enjoy psychology/biomedical sciences in any case, and you might be lucky with the Polish medicine course. Just be careful with UK student fees/funding, as they are very complicated (particularly for EU and/or graduate students) and don't make much sense!

You could also look at doing graduate entry medicine in Ireland. It's expensive, but reasonably straightforward to get into.

Good luck with your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
is there any financial support or loans for UK student who wants to study the 4yrs MD program in Poland?
Reply 46
Original post by OluwakemiAde
is there any financial support or loans for UK student who wants to study the 4yrs MD program in Poland?

AFAIK, neither the NHS nor SFE funds study outside the UK.

There are commercial loans though, but they tend to be expensive.
Original post by Doonesbury
AFAIK, neither the NHS nor SFE funds study outside the UK.

There are commercial loans though, but they tend to be expensive.

thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending