The Student Room Group

how does over prescribing drugs worsen antibiotic resistance? gcse

I know the whole process of antibiotic resistance but I don't understand how over prescribing antibiotics worsens the problem, as the mutations are random? Please can someone explain this.

This is for B1, AQA, and my exam is on Tuesday :frown:
Reply 1
Each population of bacteria will contain a few that are resistant to antibiotics. If bacteria is exposed to sub lethal doses of antibiotics, those that a resistant will increase and those that are sensitive will decrease.

Over prescribing means lots of bacteria is exposed to sub lethal doses of antibiotics and the percentage of antibiotic resistant bacteria in a population increases. This increases the chance of being infected by antibiotic resistant bacteria.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Maker
Each population of bacteria will contain a few that are resistant to antibiotics. If bacteria is exposed to sub lethal doses of antibiotics, those that a resistant will increase and those that are sensitive will decrease.

Over prescribing means lots of bacteria is exposed to sub lethal doses of antibiotics and the percentage of antibiotic resistant bacteria in a population increases. This increases the chance of being infected by antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Thank you very much. :smile: Do you need to know why the resistant strains will increase for GCSE, I'm presuming not, thanks again
Original post by jazz_xox_
Thank you very much. :smile: Do you need to know why the resistant strains will increase for GCSE, I'm presuming not, thanks again

Yeah you do, the resistant strains are resistant through chance mutations. When the antibiotics aren't used for the full course, the resistant bacteria remain and will reproduce, passing their resistance to their offspring.

Quick Reply

Latest