The Student Room Group

£25k at 24

Is this a good salary for my age? I live in London.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Your age doesn't really factor in to whether it is good enough or not.

Your qualifications, experience and sector you work in will be the main factors that need to be considered when analysing whether it's a good salary or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just started in finance with the opportunity to acquire a qualification.
My general rule of thumb is to always take £5k off any London salary to compare to the rest of the U.K.
Original post by Mega0448
My general rule of thumb is to always take £5k off any London salary to compare to the rest of the U.K.

Doesn't always work that way. The differential in pay at the top end of the scale is usually much higher than £5k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Doesn't always work that way. The differential in pay at the top end of the scale is usually much higher than £5k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha not everything is related to your IB jobs...!

If we are talking in general, most jobs pay around £5k extra. I'm talking about teaching/public sector etc. Just look at any national employer and their London weightings.
Original post by Mega0448
Ha not everything is related to your IB jobs...!

If we are talking in general, most jobs pay around £5k extra. I'm talking about teaching/public sector etc. Just look at any national employer and their London weightings.

Fair game! Some headteachers make serious dinero in London though, from figures I've seen..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair game! Some headteachers make serious dinero in London though, from figures I've seen..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Headteachers make next to nothing compared to the Academy bosses o.O
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
Your age doesn't really factor in to whether it is good enough or not.

Your qualifications, experience and sector you work in will be the main factors that need to be considered when analysing whether it's a good salary or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yea, but what is a defining factor of qualifications and experience?

And why sector? Good can be in absolute terms, or even in relative terms between sectors. Many people don't make that kind of money so compared to them it's a good salary.
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
Well it isn't age. If you haven't got the relevant qualifications or experience, it doesn't matter how old or young you are. It's not like there is a top age restriction on achieving qualifications or experience either.

The sector you work in will highly influence the pay. I know people in exactly the same job who are earning £75,000 + bonus in top professional services firms and who have less experience and qualifications than their equivalent in a government department who is on less than 40% of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sure none of those people are 24.

Maybe an exceptional exception here and there.
Original post by inhuman

I know a few in that ballpark.
Original post by iainvg
Headteachers make next to nothing compared to the Academy bosses o.O

True.. It's impressive to say the least.
Original post by inhuman

J-SP speaks the truth, age isn't really a big factor if at all in how much you get paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
30k as fresh out of graduation, foundation 1 dentist at 23.

Age isn't everything....
What is wrong with doing a bit of research and find what the equivalent jobs pay?
Reply 14
I know a few in that ballpark.

Traders at GS/MS/whatever other shitty bank? Good for you.
Reply 15
J-SP speaks the truth, age isn't really a big factor if at all in how much you get paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably less and less as we progress into modernity. But in the past it was the defining factor.

And sorry, I am not going to take you seriously if you say something like age not being a factor at all.

I mean in the literal sense you are correct, people don't look at age, but at experience, however, the two are in most cases so heavily correlated that to say age is irrelevant is naive. In fact, in many studies age is taken as a proxy for experience.
Reply 16
Original post by J-SP
No not that instance. Although the same theories still apply. Comparative roles I know of for people who typically are that age can still vary significantly between sectors.

A 24 year old could have easily not worked a day of their life and have no qualifications/education to their name. Another 24 year old could have an under graduate degree, a post-graduate professional qualification and 3+ years relevant experience. The salary expectations and what would be a "good salary" for either of those two people are going to be vastly different.

Sorry but so what?

The OP's question was completely general. You can have a bar chart showing wages by age. You can have one by sector. You can have one combing the two.

I am not saying you are wrong, but in the grand scheme of things, earning almost 20% more than the median income at age 24 is "good", considering that in all likelihood OP will earn as his career progresses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_Kingdom
pretty poor for a london salary to be brutally honest with you
Original post by inhuman
Traders at GS/MS/whatever other shitty bank? Good for you.

Mix, not all of them are traders. Some private equity, some IB, some in hedge funds, some at tech companies etc.. Since when are GS/MS shitty banks? lol
Reply 19
Mix, not all of them are traders. Some private equity, some IB, some in hedge funds, some at tech companies etc.. Since when are GS/MS shitty banks? lol

They are banks. Hence they are shitty.

Oh and I still somewhere have a GS contract lying around :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending