The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit A* paragraph structure??

Anyone know a good structure to reach the top band?
I was told to use a PEEL structure which stands for:
Point
Evidence
Explain
Link back to question

But if you don't like this one you can use PQAL, which stands for
Point
Quotation
Analysis
Link back to question to question
P E A L (readers response not needed) this is the best way as you are writing a point, the evidence (quotes) analysising (showing understanding of the text and linking back to question which can also be known as ATQ (answer the question). Part A always needs AO1, 2 and maybe 4 but B needs all 4 AO's. This should be able to give you full marks or at least a strong grade.
PEEL and PQAL are exactly the same, just with different names for each part.

I usually use a version of that in which I keep the point and evidence, then take one part of the evidence and explain it (giving different arguments). I then take the next part of that evidence and explain it. When I've gone through the whole quote, if I haven't linked the points I've made back to the question, I write a one sentence summary doing that.

This is a good way to do it as it makes sure you get a thorough analysis of the evidence you've chosen!
Reply 4
Original post by 11owolea
Anyone know a good structure to reach the top band?

Hiya :smile:
We were taught:
Point
Evidence
Explain
Context
Key Word
Language Feature
Effect on Audience

For section 1 (An Inspector Calls/The Crucible/DNA etc) you need to fulfil AO1 and AO2.
AO1 = points
AO2 = language/structural features, effect on audience

For section 2 (Of Mice and Men) you need to fulfil AO1, AO2 and AO4.
AO4 = context

So when answering the section 1 question, I use the above format but without context. I make a point, e.g. 'Proctor is presented by Miller as caring deeply for his reputation in The Crucible', then I back it up with a quote (evidence), e.g. 'For example, 'For it is my name!', then I pick a feature in it and analyse it, e.g. 'This exclamation implies that Proctor is crying out, which highlights the importance of his name (reputation) to him and in wider Puritan society'. I've also put a key word in there with 'Puritan society'. Then you just have to say how this would impact the audience, e.g. 'This makes the audience pity John because he is struggling with the idea that he must either die a hypocrite or live knowing he has abandoned his morals.'

Obviously, you'd back that up with other links and effects within the paragraph, but those are the parts that will get you marks.

Then for section 2, you do exactly the same but add in context. So if it were Of Mice and Men, you might say, 'This reflects the sexist views held by many in America in the 1930s', and that's all you need to do to include context in each paragraph - state how it relates to wider society.

I'd also quickly re-iterate that you do need to include effect on audience - the mark scheme says, 'Evaluation of writer's use of language/structure/form and effects on readers'.

I hope that helps a bit - I've always followed this because it makes sure that you include every part of the mark scheme in each answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest