The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Question Regarding Notetaking in UCL Lectures

Hey guys,
To all the current students - how do you take notes during lectures?
Are the slides available online? Does UCL upload the lectures online? Would you need to bring a laptop to a lecture for any reason?

I will be studying straight econ this September.
First year econ student here - varied depending on the module. Economics (ECON1001) almost explicitly requires you take a laptop or tablet to lectures because there's interactive stuff which needs it. All core modules except maths have either lecturecast (so you can watch lectures online), lecture slides online or both, so I regard note taking as thoroughly pointless. Everything they write on the board will be in the course textbook somewhere, so save note taking for when they say something like 'this will be on the exam' or 'this is a neat little trick I use'.

Please don't be one of those students typing away on a laptop rewriting the course textbook instead of actually listening :tongue:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Wahrheit
First year econ student here - varied depending on the module. Economics (ECON1001) almost explicitly requires you take a laptop or tablet to lectures because there's interactive stuff which needs it. All core modules except maths have either lecturecast (so you can watch lectures online), lecture slides online or both, so I regard note taking as thoroughly pointless. Everything they write on the board will be in the course textbook somewhere, so save note taking for when they say something like 'this will be on the exam' or 'this is a neat little trick I use'.

Please don't be one of those students typing away on a laptop rewriting the course textbook instead of actually listening :tongue:

Great to see the POV from an econ student!
When you say interactive stuff, would a 10 inch tablet suffice? Or will you be doing lots of typing as well?
I ask this because I'm debating whether or not to buy a new desktop or laptop. I personally am not a fan of laptops due to their poor performance-price ratio compared to desktops so I will only be buying a laptop if it is absolutely necessary.
1) I type notes or handwrite them from the slides and retype and format in my own time
2) Almost all 3 years of psychology had their lectures and accompanying slides online - some lecture cast so you don't even have to go in :wink:
3) Yes all should be online before and after the lecture (possibly through moodle, depends on course)
4) only reason for a laptop is to type notes or check Facebook
Original post by gwagon
Great to see the POV from an econ student!
When you say interactive stuff, would a 10 inch tablet suffice? Or will you be doing lots of typing as well?
I ask this because I'm debating whether or not to buy a new desktop or laptop. I personally am not a fan of laptops due to their poor performance-price ratio compared to desktops so I will only be buying a laptop if it is absolutely necessary.

Great to see another desktop user! I didn't buy a laptop myself and don't own one, for the same reasons as you, and I have a desktop I built which sits in my room and a kindle Fire X (7 inch tablet) which I use for portable reading, and it was absolutely fine for interactive lectures! Those lectures you could even get away with a phone tbh, but a tablet is easier (you just need it to vote on multiple choice questions and write 4 word sentences every now and again). I've not once this year thought 'man I wish I had a laptop'.
Reply 5
Original post by Wahrheit
Great to see another desktop user! I didn't buy a laptop myself and don't own one, for the same reasons as you, and I have a desktop I built which sits in my room and a kindle Fire X (7 inch tablet) which I use for portable reading, and it was absolutely fine for interactive lectures! Those lectures you could even get away with a phone tbh, but a tablet is easier (you just need it to vote on multiple choice questions and write 4 word sentences every now and again). I've not once this year thought 'man I wish I had a laptop'.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll go ahead and build a desktop(PC master race!). I have a tablet lying around so I will probably just stick with that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending