The Student Room Group

How hard really are A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yasdyxo
If you really wanted to, then there is no harm in doing so, but still enjoy your summer! Like i said a few hours a day will help a lot.
And even if its not 100% revision, starting to get your head into the mindset of a levels will help.
Look online for your subject specification.. email your teachers if you don't know the exam boards etc.
And i guess start looking at the beginning of the specification because most teachers start there.
Even start doing past exam papers, look at the mark schemes... see how they differ to GCSEs etc. Just TRY have fun learning lol.

What subjects are you thinking of taking though???

Thanks and I'm thinking of taking A level chemistry, maths and physics. :-)
Start. Revising. Now.
Reply 22
Its not hard content wise its hard in the sense you are just expected to have grown over the summer into an independant individual. Evidently that doesn't always happen!
Reply 23
Original post by _Xenon_
Thanks and I'm thinking of taking A level chemistry, maths and physics. :-)

Lol wow. Yeah for these subjects i'd definitely start getting your head into a level mode.
Even though the exams will be at the end of year13? I'm not sure when all these changes are happening.

So its even more important to make revision material and keep on top of all units.. equations.. past papers... understanding mark schemes etc :smile:
Original post by Wan Hury
Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks

Don't do science. Or English. Or maths.

Don't do anything.

Run whilst you can. Enjoy this summer cos it's gonna be your last bit of fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do chemistry, maths, biology and physics and they are difficult but if you really work hard from the beginning and revise for every end of unit test you'll find them a bit easier. Also, make sure you pick subjects that you enjoy and that you're good at :smile:
Original post by Yasdyxo
Lol wow. Yeah for these subjects i'd definitely start getting your head into a level mode.
Even though the exams will be at the end of year13? I'm not sure when all these changes are happening.

So its even more important to make revision material and keep on top of all units.. equations.. past papers... understanding mark schemes etc :smile:

My chemistry and physics are going to be linear and I believe my maths is called AS. I think it means I do the exam after the first year isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong. I know very little about the structure of A levels and what is being changed.

:smile: I'll start revising during summer. Thanks for the advice.
I'm doing maths physics chemistry and biology, hopefully able to get A*s at GCSE in those four (I'm year 11).

Considering they're supposed to be four of the hardest subjects, am i screwed? All of my choices except maths are the new course so there is no AS level, it's all in year 13.

Has anybody done a similar choice of subjects? How hard was it?
If I didn't happen to get the grades I anticipated and revised during the summer and felt prepared for doing A levels would I be able to take the exam as a private candidate? Not that it will happen, lol. Just interested.
Reply 29
Depends on your subjects, I do all maths&sciences so every subject is linked in some way, making revision much easier, especially with maths just being based on skills rather than memory/content. I'd imagine doing 4 different essay subjects would be terribly difficult.
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I'm doing maths physics chemistry and biology, hopefully able to get A*s at GCSE in those four (I'm year 11).

Considering they're supposed to be four of the hardest subjects, am i screwed? All of my choices except maths are the new course so there is no AS level, it's all in year 13.

Has anybody done a similar choice of subjects? How hard was it?

It's so much harder with the reformation. In the past, you'd do your AS and forget about the first 2 (usually) components of each subject because that's what the exams were on. A level would be new stuff and basically none of the AS stuff would come up so you didn't have to remember everything from AS as it would count for 50% of your Final Grade. So two exams for each in AS and two for each in A level = 100% (maths is actually three exams I'm just generalising.) Now, your college will probably still make you do AS's that don't count for anything, and you have an additional one or two exams of all the first year content at A-level.

However, now you have to know everything for A2 and I feel like I'm on fire all the time and am about 13 seconds away from a mental breakdown every time I think of exams :smile:

Don't do sciences and maths. It's so difficult. Physics is horrendous. Do something you enjoy, and if you enjoy science then be prepared for no social life if you want to do well.

Good luck kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't advise languages or physics :s-smilie: I think a levels are hard lol
Reply 32
Original post by _Xenon_
If I didn't happen to get the grades I anticipated and revised during the summer and felt prepared for doing A levels would I be able to take the exam as a private candidate? Not that it will happen, lol. Just interested.

I finished year13 last year.. got accepted into the university i wanted but i deferred this year. Most likely will be going this September (90% yes 10% still no) lol
And i'm currently re-sitting some of my a level units as a private student... but clearly i didnt learn my lesson from 2 years at school.
I would only do private exams/candidate if you are strict with yourself, well disciplined. But yeah it is possible to do it privately.
Original post by Clintbarton
It's so much harder with the reformation. In the past, you'd do your AS and forget about the first 2 (usually) components of each subject because that's what the exams were on. A level would be new stuff and basically none of the AS stuff would come up so you didn't have to remember everything from AS as it would count for 50% of your Final Grade. So two exams for each in AS and two for each in A level = 100% (maths is actually three exams I'm just generalising.) Now, your college will probably still make you do AS's that don't count for anything, and you have an additional one or two exams of all the first year content at A-level.

However, now you have to know everything for A2 and I feel like I'm on fire all the time and am about 13 seconds away from a mental breakdown every time I think of exams :smile:

Don't do sciences and maths. It's so difficult. Physics is horrendous. Do something you enjoy, and if you enjoy science then be prepared for no social life if you want to do well.

Good luck kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well sh*t.
Doing maths, further maths, chemistry and biology :lol:
Original post by Yasdyxo
I finished year13 last year.. got accepted into the university i wanted but i deferred this year. Most likely will be going this September (90% yes 10% still no) lol
And i'm currently re-sitting some of my a level units as a private student... but clearly i didnt learn my lesson from 2 years at school.
I would only do private exams/candidate if you are strict with yourself, well disciplined. But yeah it is possible to do it privately.

Thanks. I'll make sure it doesn't happen by revising for my physics exam tomorrow. :-)
:biggrin:

:smile:
Original post by surina16
well sh*t.
Doing maths, further maths, chemistry and biology :lol:

Where is physics??!!! 😐
You'll be fine if you dont take Physics , rest of the A levels are fine :biggrin:
Original post by Yasdyxo
It's not one of the TOUGHEST things you will do... its just teachers talking normal BS. However, A are easy if you actually work at them.
For GCSE i got 4 A's and 7 B's with 0 work (not the best nor am i bragging) and then at a i got BBD with about 50% work ethic.
In my opinion, you can't wing a 's if you are an average , so no 1 day revision blabla.

A will be easy if from the start of September you act like its April, and revise. Revisee reviseeeee revise.
Make flash cards at the end of lessons blabla whatever is your best method start it ASAP.
Don't be like me looking back in hindsight thinking ahhh i could have done this and thatttt
Even just 1 or 2hours a night from September and you'll be alright

i got an A* in maths and english but everyuthing else was A-C so i would defo not call my self a special student *though i didn't revise* however i have been doing revision for subjects by doing a past paper or skimming through text books and i'm finsing everything fairly easy tbh... and if you think it's my subjects, i do maths, FM, physics and english
Reply 38
Original post by Wan Hury
Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks

'Wagwan' loool just go and do a BTEC
Original post by splashywill
1st year is a lot harder than GCSE's and the second year is apparently harder than doing a degree... its pretty bad, but its manageable

I suppose that depends where you do the degree... second year of A-levels was very very very easy compared to even the first year of degree for me...

Quick Reply

Latest