The Student Room Group

Can you take more than one BTEC?

I am on the verge of deciding to take a Media BTEC because I hate taking actual tests and prefer to stick to doing bigger projects which is what a BTEC offers. I am curious if I would be able to take more than one full-time BTEC subjects in the same school. Does anyone know? Suggestions?
Is it a BTEC Level 3? All courses have different values, for example there are BTEC Level 3 extended diplomas which are equivalent to 3 a levels. If it isn't extended its worth two and then there's BTEC courses worth one? So if you give the full name of it, it would be easier to identify
Reply 2
Original post by Tenisha1999
Is it a BTEC Level 3? All courses have different values, for example there are BTEC Level 3 extended diplomas which are equivalent to 3 a levels. If it isn't extended its worth two and then there's BTEC courses worth one? So if you give the full name of it, it would be easier to identify

I am either going to take a level 3 BTEC in Creative Media production TV & Film (North kent college) or Media BTEC Level 3 extended diploma (Christ the king) :smile:
I wouldn't do media if I were you, not trying to put you off but my mate did a L3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production and is now regretting it as most employers look down on supposedly soft courses.
Reply 4
Original post by recordplayee
I wouldn't do media if I were you, not trying to put you off but my mate did a L3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production and is now regretting it as most employers look down on supposedly soft courses.

Well what jobs is he applying for because I am certain that I want to go into the filming industry. What about universities? Are they the same if I want to study media there too?
Original post by Rabbit36
I am either going to take a level 3 BTEC in Creative Media production TV & Film (North kent college) or Media BTEC Level 3 extended diploma (Christ the king) :smile:

The first course I think is worth 2 a levels :smile: so that means you would be able to potentially do two subjects on the side with that dependant on what your time table would look at but if you go to a college they'll most likely find a way to make that happen. The second course is worth three a levels so you would be able to do an a level on the side of that too. My friend wanted to do media at college but didn't end up doing it because she wanted to stay at sixth form, if you intend on going to uni and work hard at the course I'm sure it'll be fine
Reply 6
Original post by Tenisha1999
The first course I think is worth 2 a levels :smile: so that means you would be able to potentially do two subjects on the side with that dependant on what your time table would look at but if you go to a college they'll most likely find a way to make that happen. The second course is worth three a levels so you would be able to do an a level on the side of that too. My friend wanted to do media at college but didn't end up doing it because she wanted to stay at sixth form, if you intend on going to uni and work hard at the course I'm sure it'll be fine

Thanks! So when you were talking about that A level did you just mean one subject?
Well what jobs is he applying for because I am certain that I want to go into the filming industry. What about universities? Are they the same if I want to study media there too?

What I'd do is I'd take the BTEC Diploma in Creative Media Production for the first year (and that gets you your diploma) and then go to do some A-Levels instead during the second year. They've split or 'uncoupled' the first and second year of A-Levels, meaning AS is debatably a waste of time as AS and A2 (first and second year) are separate qualifications.
Thanks! So when you were talking about that A level did you just mean one subject?

Yeah, but for example at my college BTEC Level 3 Extended Business which is what I do allows me to have one day off and some people choose to do Accounting which is taught throughout the day that we have off so you could potentially do two, just depends on time table, I'd stay stick to one because coursework is veeeery time consuming with BTEC
Reply 9
Original post by recordplayee
They've split or 'uncoupled' the first and second year of A-Levels, meaning AS is debatably a waste of time as AS and A2 (first and second year) are separate qualifications.

A2 no longer exists. There is AS (normally taken over one year) and A level (normally taken over 2 years) which involves all the work of AS and A2. If you only did the 'second year' you would only cover half the course.
i wanna do both media btec and art and design btec so im so stumped on what i wanna do

Quick Reply

Latest