The Student Room Group

Will I be able to do a level Spanish from scratch?

Hello,
I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I think my grades are going to be:
Russian-A* Maths- A double science -BB history-C English literature -C/B RS- C French-C English language-C/D Art-C computer studies-pass music-D
I was thinking of doing a levels in maths, biology and fast track Spanish- where you do GCSE in year 12 and As and A2 in second year. As well as you can see my GCSE grade in English my not even reach a C and that's because English is my third language and when I did my coursework I barely knew any English so i got like a U in that, meaning that I had to get an A in first English igcse reading paper to be able to get a C. Additionally for college I'm applying to they require grade A in either English or a foreign language , and I know I gotten A* in Russian but that's because I already basically know it and just had to sit an exam without teacher so had to learn all how to write and read in Russian in a week which I managed. As well as for French I might only get a C because we had a crap teacher who didn't even teach us anything but just said write this and she always said how bad mine was and then just wrote it and I had to remember it for my coursework, as well as I sat the foundation papers, but so many sat higher and now I feel really bad that the college will say no that I can't do the a level. But I can speak Latvian, Russian and English fluently right now, and Latvian and Russian are completely different if you are wondering.
I really will appreciate all the help I can get
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You will probably end up with a C
What a level should I rather choose instead then, as I want to do marine biology in future, and I'm bad at chemistry ?
Original post by Kaimich17.11
What a level should I rather choose instead then, as I want to do marine biology in future, and I'm bad at chemistry ?

If you have an interest in Spanish, then you should take it, a C in a language isn't bad, and to study marine biology at university you really only need 3 A-levels, so the Spanish will give your application a boost.

For marine biology, I suggest A levels in:

biology/human biology
maths
and either geography, physics, environmental science, geology, psychology (if you really don't want to do chemistry)

Who knows, you might even get an A in Spanish.
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
If you have an interest in Spanish, then you should take it, a C in a language isn't bad, and to study marine biology at university you really only need 3 A-levels, so the Spanish will give your application a boost.

biology/human biology
maths
and either geography, physics, environmental science, geology, psychology (if you really don't want to do chemistry)

Yh I really need an A in a subject to do marine biology at good university

biology/human biology
maths

Thanks anyway :biggrin:
Yh I really need an A in a subject to do marine biology at good university

Most will have entry requirements of AAB, but realistically you would need A*AA to secure a place, because of all the competition.
Most will have entry requirements of AAB, but realistically you would need A*AA to secure a place, because of all the competition.

What do you think would be most interesting interesting a level for me to study marine biology, as well as where I would be good at if you compare it to my GCSE grades
What do you think would be most interesting interesting a level for me to study marine biology, as well as where I would be good at if you compare it to my GCSE grades

Biology and maths are a must, i guess psychology or geology would be interesting, but they are a lot of work.

Could you rephrase your second question?
Biology and maths are a must, i guess psychology or geology would be interesting, but they are a lot of work.

Could you rephrase your second question?

I meant like what would be a better option of me being able to get a good grade if you look at my GCSE grades
I meant like what would be a better option of me being able to get a good grade if you look at my GCSE grades

Physics, Chemistry or Russain
Physics, Chemistry or Russain

I'm really bad at physics that's the one I got like one of lowest marks in in chemistry I got 79/120 and I'm biology around 84/120 and in physics like 60/120, as well as universities don't like if you do an a level in your native language
I'm really bad at physics that's the one I got like one of lowest marks in in chemistry I got 79/120 and I'm biology around 84/120 and in physics like 60/120, as well as universities don't like if you do an a level in your native language

Then you should do biology, chemistry and maths
Then you should do biology, chemistry and maths

Does chemistry involve a lot of maths? Or it involves a lot of other stuff?
Does chemistry involve a lot of maths? Or it involves a lot of other stuff?

There is a significant amount of maths, but it's not that difficult, I'd say no more than 20% of maths related questions are in the final exams.

Btw you should check the entry requirements of the universities you want to study at.
There is a significant amount of maths, but it's not that difficult, I'd say no more than 20% of maths related questions are in the final exams.

Btw you should check the entry requirements of the universities you want to study at.

I need AAA that's why I'm worried about chemistry as I think highest grade in chemistry I will get is only going to be a B and in biology an A and in maths an A*
I need AAA that's why I'm worried about chemistry as I think highest grade in chemistry I will get is only going to be a B and in biology an A and in maths an A*

I thought the same when I was in year 11. I got a ABD in triple science and an A in maths, and I thought I'll probably get Bs in maths,biology and chemistry, but now in my second year of A-levels I'm predicted to get A* in maths and A's in biology and chemistry.

You just have to work hard really

Spoiler

I thought the same when I was in year 11. I got a ABD in triple science and an A in maths, and I thought I'll probably get Bs in maths,biology and chemistry, but now in my second year of A-levels I'm predicted to get A* in maths and A's in biology and chemistry.

Spoiler

Yh but you firstly did triple science which already shows you are smarter than me, as well as you got an A and a B in biology and chemistry I would probably get a B in biology if I did triple, a C in chemistry and like a D in physics. And in maths I'm confident I will get A* as our teacher already thought as a lot of a level stuff

Spoiler

Also what exam boards are you doing, if I did mine for biology it would be AQQ, for chemistry ocr or ocr salters, and edexcel for maths
Yh but you firstly did triple science which already shows you are smarter than me, as well as you got an A and a B in biology and chemistry I would probably get a B in biology if I did triple, a C in chemistry and like a D in physics. And in maths I'm confident I will get A* as our teacher already thought as a lot of a level stuff

Triple science is a mix of biology, chemistry, and physics in 3 modules:
Core science A (A in biology A* in chemistry B in physics A in coursework)
Additional science B ( A in biology A in chemistry B in physics B in coursework)
Further additional science D ( U in biology D in chemistry and E in physics and A* in coursework)

But now I'm getting A's in biology and chemistry at A-level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending