The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Uni Accommodation Info MKII (Please post all questions here)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by spleenharvester
HBSC is really nice, used to go there quite a lot, the townhouses are particularly nice. Very active socially too. Rooms are maybe a bit small though.

Not sure what OH is. Do you mean UH?

Thanks for replying, OH I mean orchard heights :smile:
I'm thinking of the ensuit rooms at Hiatt baker which aren't the townhouses I think - are they still pretty decent?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by amu3
Thanks for replying, OH I mean orchard heights :smile:
I'm thinking of the ensuit rooms at Hiatt baker which aren't the townhouses I think - are they still pretty decent?

The ensuites are really nice yeah, and obviously new too. Those rooms are a bit cramped for my liking but I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker (plus the kitchens are huge)
Reply 762
any thoughts of winkworth from anyone? trying to think of a good second choice.
Original post by narcotica
And with self-catered, how much roughly does food cost you per week?

It varies a lot depending upon how much you care about food, lol. I've known people spend like £100+/week. £30/week is reasonable though.
Original post by narcotica
It's a big part of my life :biggrin: Ok, I'll go for an in-between then. Do you know if you're allowed to buy a mini-fridge for your room, and if visitors are allowed to stay overnight? Thanks!

Check the rules for each hall on the accom website, but generally no you can't, fire hazards and that; most electrical appliances of that nature are banned.

Guests are fine, the procedures again vary between halls, most require notice (again fire, H&S reasons), though not many people complied in my year.
What is it like living in the CC? Like in the courtrooms or orchard heights as opposed to SB, I've heard SB is more sociable etc. but isn't the city just so much more convenient? Esp for the self catered students?
I've applied to Wills Hall and Churchill, which are both single sex floors I think, when finalising the application it asks if I want single sex floor, I don't really care either way but it's forcing me into a yes/no answer.

Does anyone know if choosing no voids my choices or should I just put yes?
Original post by epsilon465
I've applied to Wills Hall and Churchill, which are both single sex floors I think, when finalising the application it asks if I want single sex floor, I don't really care either way but it's forcing me into a yes/no answer.

Does anyone know if choosing no voids my choices or should I just put yes?

Not sure about Churchill, but Wills is not all single sex, some parts are mixed (XYZ I think?)
Don't think it would affect much - if you're concerned, write in the comments / notes something box
Original post by bobbydylan
What is it like living in the CC? Like in the courtrooms or orchard heights as opposed to SB, I've heard SB is more sociable etc. but isn't the city just so much more convenient? Esp for the self catered students?

Lived in both places. CC is great initially in the sense that it's close to everything but it gets really, really wearing with noise/chuggers etc. One of the more dangerous places in Bristol too. Courtrooms is quite nicely placed though, I don't think it's as noisy down that end, and Orchard Heights isn't really city centre.

SB is quite a nice place if you think you'll enjoy halls/clubbing culture and don't mind absolutely everything being a bus ride away. It has a nice atmosphere, I'll give it that.

(Much preferred Clifton to both places though)
(edited 7 years ago)
Lived in both places. CC is great initially in the sense that it's close to everything but it gets really, really wearing with noise/chuggers etc. One of the more dangerous places in Bristol too. Courtrooms is quite nicely placed though, I don't think it's as noisy down that end, and Orchard Heights isn't really city centre.

SB is quite a nice place if you think you'll enjoy halls/clubbing culture and don't mind absolutely everything being a bus ride away. It has a nice atmosphere, I'll give it that.

(Much preferred Clifton to both places though)

Ah ok thanks for the info!! How come you preferred Clifton? I guess location is quite good...
Original post by bobbydylan
Ah ok thanks for the info!! How come you preferred Clifton? I guess location is quite good...

Nice and quiet (even next to the SU is much quieter than city centre). No climbing big hills or buses to get to anything/anywhere. Never had any trouble from drunk/dodgy people walking home at night as was always happening in the centre. As for halls in Clifton, I've been in both 115 Queens and Manor, and much preferred them to all other places I've lived at in every way.
How easy is it to travel to the sports ground near Stoke Bishop from residences at Clifton and city centre? Ideally I should choose SB for this, but need 3 choices and want to go self-catered. Also I wondered if it's noisy in the area of Unite and Orchard Heights?
Original post by bluepoppy
How easy is it to travel to the sports ground near Stoke Bishop from residences at Clifton and city centre? Ideally I should choose SB for this, but need 3 choices and want to go self-catered. Also I wondered if it's noisy in the area of Unite and Orchard Heights?

You'll get a bus pass for the Wessex 16 that can take you to Stoke B even if you live outside of Stoke B. People have to travel to Coombe Dingle for exams so I imagine it's not too hard to get there from Stoke B.

Unite/Orchard Heights are next to a bar which seems pretty noisy when I swing past, but I don't know what soundproofing is like in the building. It's still a damn sight quieter than the main city centre area though, put it that way.
How about the courtrooms? Is that area loud too?
Unite/Orchard Heights are next to a bar which seems pretty noisy when I swing past, but I don't know what soundproofing is like in the building. It's still a damn sight quieter than the main city centre area though, put it that way.

This being Favell House, The Rackahay etc.?
You'll get a bus pass for the Wessex 16 that can take you to Stoke B even if you live outside of Stoke B. People have to travel to Coombe Dingle for exams so I imagine it's not too hard to get there from Stoke B.

Thank you, that was very helpful
Reply 776
Hi, does anyone know about the courtrooms? How big/small are the rooms? How close is it to grocery shops and the city centre? Does it get noisy?Is it in Clifton or Stoke Bishop, although I don't know anything about that to be honest. I'm really interested in New Bridewell, but I can't find a second option to it, my just take it as my 2nd. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Original post by amy102
Hi, does anyone know about the courtrooms? How big/small are the rooms? How close is it to grocery shops and the city centre? Does it get noisy?Is it in Clifton or Stoke Bishop, although I don't know anything about that to be honest. I'm really interested in New Bridewell, but I can't find a second option to it, my just take it as my 2nd. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Couldn't comment on size of rooms but I can give some info on the location. It's quite literally in the centre of Bristol, so shops are super close. Most shops that are near are convenience but there is a Tesco Metro which is a decent size literally 5 minutes away. It could get noisy because it's right next to a main road although I have no clue if they have soundproofing to counter that. It's not in Clifton or Stoke Bishop, it's away from the main campus in City Centre. Still not far to walk to get to uni, it's 15 mins max I'd say but it does mean you'd have to walk up a hill everyday (It's not that bad though imo). New Bridewell is very close to Courtrooms as well so if you like the location of Bridewell then Courtrooms should be fine. I believe they allow you to arrange viewings too if you still aren't sure.
Reply 778
Original post by k4l397
Couldn't comment on size of rooms but I can give some info on the location. It's quite literally in the centre of Bristol, so shops are super close. Most shops that are near are convenience but there is a Tesco Metro which is a decent size literally 5 minutes away. It could get noisy because it's right next to a main road although I have no clue if they have soundproofing to counter that. It's not in Clifton or Stoke Bishop, it's away from the main campus in City Centre. Still not far to walk to get to uni, it's 15 mins max I'd say but it does mean you'd have to walk up a hill everyday (It's not that bad though imo). New Bridewell is very close to Courtrooms as well so if you like the location of Bridewell then Courtrooms should be fine. I believe they allow you to arrange viewings too if you still aren't sure.

I'm not in Bristol yet so I can't attend a viewing even if I wanted to. I hope it's soundproof, because I really wouldn't enjoy the noise of the city. Thanks so much for your help, I'm grateful.
Thoughts on social life at somewhere like Orchard heights compared to HB SC?? Is it worth sacrificing convenience (Location at the centre etc.) for better social life in SB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending