The Student Room Group

Why do parents compare their kids to other kids?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
:smile: and just know even if you gotta scrub toilets do it. it's better to do it as a kid then as an adult trust. And you build your experience. Makes life so much easier.

Literally anything to gain her trust, and show her that I'm responsible, but at the end of the day, no matter what she has to let me out, because it's gonaa impact badly on me when I go into the world of work. :redface:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Literally anything to gain her trust, and show her that I'm responsible, but at the end of the day, no matter what she has to let me out, because it's gonaa impact badly on me when I go into the world of work. :redface:

What I used to so was just **** myself over so she gets all disappointed and then starts blaming herself. But that kinda **** only makes it bad for you. It sucks to have a parent as an enemy soz bab :\
Tbh you could be the perfect child like me and parents will still find a reason to complain.

My mum will be like 'your cousins are so good, they're so religious, always listening to their parents, never talking back' like smh I've seen them smoking weed in the alleys as if they're good kids
Original post by 0to100
What I used to so was just **** myself over so she gets all disappointed and then starts blaming herself. But that kinda **** only makes it bad for you. It sucks to have a parent as an enemy soz bab :\

:frown: It's fine, but thank you for the sympathy, I was born into her family and now I gotta live with it, my bad. :frown: Like some ppl say ohh, they say all of tht crap but they love you, but how does a parent like tht possibly love you, like she just goes, 'oh i wasted my time with her' as in like when she got preggs with me. Like srsly tho, love her taunts and comments. :s-smilie:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
:frown: It's fine, but thank you for the sympathy, I was born into her family and now I gotta live with it, my bad. :frown: Like some ppl say ohh, they say all of tht crap but they love you, but how does a parent like tht possibly love you, like she just goes, 'oh i wasted my time with her' as in like when she got preggs with me. Like srsly tho, love her taunts and comments. :s-smilie:

I honestly know it sucks but I feel a lot of parents say that lol not that it's right but that it's not a curse on your part.
Original post by 0to100
I honestly know it sucks but I feel a lot of parents say that lol not that it's right but that it's not a curse on your part.

:frown: I give up with her honestly, I'ma go lie on my deathbed. :frown: Bye :afraid:
It's how people are generally, no solidarity, treadmilldom, can't see the word for the trees, trapped in all that dehumanises them, obsessed with all that is futile and petty. All part of the same conditioned behaviour that is inculcated by the powerful to keep them pissing their lives away about **** while they never realise what is important, and are distracted enough and divided enough to hold everything in it's place.
Reply 47
Original post by ODES_PDES
Why not?

Because nobody benefits from it, it's pointless to me.
Original post by SMEGGGY
They are cretins. Leading sad pathetic lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wholly agree with you. :smile:
Original post by Blackstarr
I don't understand either, i suppose is to motivate you to do well and prove people wrong.

I don't think parents do that/say that intentionally, they want the best for you.

Not trying to patronise you
but
When your dad tells you, you should be more like his friends cousin who got 12A*s and you be sitting there with 1A* 3A's 6B's and 2 C's it's sort difficult not be annoyed and peed of about the comparison.
I meam c'mon if the parent is a dunce then how can you expect your children to be amazing geniuses???
It's silly and is pointless yet people still do it,,, :confused:
Original post by 0to100
I think it's evil tbh. Parents know how cruel kids can be to each other so to amp those rivalries and self esteem issues expecting it to have a positive outcome is just pathological. Just make your kid as best as they can and stop being passive aggressive with other adults through your kids.

I agree with you there, it's like not feeding your child and expecting them to get their own food, it's silly and doesn't work, why tf did you have a child in the first place then lol xD

I mean like the video said kids can do it to parents and we all know which one hurts more deep down
Original post by Big white

but
When your dad tells you, you should be more like his friends cousin who got 12A*s and you be sitting there with 1A* 3A's 6B's and 2 C's it's sort difficult not be annoyed and peed of about the comparison.
I meam c'mon if the parent is a dunce then how can you expect your children to be amazing geniuses???

I agree with you there, it's like not feeding your child and expecting them to get their own food, it's silly and doesn't work, why tf did you have a child in the first place then lol xD

I mean like the video said kids can do it to parents and we all know which one hurts more deep down

I agree but with regards to the bit in bold, you can still do well regardless of the academic position of your parents.

There are many people who came from poor backgrounds and had parents who were "dunce" or whatever you call it, but still determined and managed to do well academically.
Original post by Big white

but

Also, if a parent was a "dunce" i dought that they would expect their children to become geniuses unless that parent knows his/her children are in a good environment to excel in.
Reply 50
I agree but with regards to the bit in bold, you can still do well regardless of the academic position of your parents.

There are many people who came from poor backgrounds and had parents who were "dunce" or whatever you call it, but still determined and managed to do well academically.

I guess i'm determined and have plenty of willpower however i don't have as much as those who come from poor backgrounds and really want to work hard
Also, if a parent was a "dunce" i doubt that they would expect their children to become geniuses unless that parent knows his/her children are in a good environment to excel in.

He is a complete utter fool.
Take my dad for example, i had braces fitted newly on the top set of teeth(already had braces on my bottom set) and obviously it's new so it hurts a bunch and you can't eat anything. He asked me once why i'm not eating anything and i replied because it hurts because of the braces. Then he asked the same question again 3 more times in a row. I gave him the exact same answer each time, i mean what sort of fool asks the same question 3 times although i stated loud and clear each time the same thing.
But the best bit is when for the next day he does the same thing again. Like i have no explanation for the actions of this person other than dunce. He never listens, he never cares what you think, he thinks "always" right and he has a huge ego.
Another example of him being a dunce is him replying to me after i send him dates for open days saying that i have to tell him which university i want to go to so he can prepare things for me. I then tell him the reason why i choose more than 1 uni is obvious. He then goes on to tell me that i should choose more than 1 uni. Like wtf he's basically saying pick a uni so i can prepare things like accommodation and stuff for you however you also must choose 3 other uni's through the UCAS stuff i mean like wtf
Here's the conversation directly copied from phone to web(no interpretation from me)
Me: 18th of June , 2 open days 1 for Leeds and the other for Glasgow
Dad: Which one do you plan to go to?
Me: Don't know that's why i have more than 2 choices
Dad: Make your decision, then we can plan ahead
Me: What if the one i choose doesn't accept me? Then what?
Dad:biggrin:on't you know the procedure? Have a look at which university can provide the right course for you to study. Then go have a look, apply for 3 University. Usually there will be an interview, before you can have conditional offer.
Dad: Your school must have someone/department that can help you, tell you how step by step.

At the second to last step i absolutely lost it, i just said **** it i just am not gonna text this fool anymore. I've mentioned more than 10 times that i know how many uni's you can apply for (5 unless it's a medicine course in which case you can only apply for 4) and i've told him plenty of times we do have people at school who can help me with this sort of thing.

Quick Reply

Latest