The Student Room Group

Second car advice...

Hi there,

I am currently 18 years old (or will be in a week!!) and my policy for my first car insurance ends on November 6th of this year, so not too far away now.

I am looking to get a better car. My car currently only cost me £550 and is an old '99 Corsa. I am now working full time as an apprentice, with a promise of a job when I finish this apprenticeship (January). I am earning £1000 monthly, with an increase to around £1400-£1500 in January (Not too bad, right?).

Anywho, I am looking for a new car but am absolutely stuck. I am tempted by the new Limited Edition Corsa deal, with insurance for £99 and a brand new car for around £230 monthly.. but it's a 5 year deal. That's a huge contract for me to jump in to at 18, I think anyway. I also know the car loses value instantly and so I feel like I would just be "throwing" money away after the first few years.

I really want a car that is within the past few years (2010+ maybe?) but one of my biggest things I am looking for is a built in sat-nav/multimedia system. I am planning to have this car for a couple of years and so I want it to have all the goodies you'd want in a car - air con, electric windows, multimedia system, comfortable seats, 5 doors etc.

Could any of you recommend a car? I am looking at spending £300 a month for both the car and insurance. The car would be financed, either directly or through a bank loan - I won't be able to save enough for a car as of yet due to outgoing payments for holidays and such.

So, to sum it up, a car with a multimedia system, within the past 5 years and insurance all for around £300 a month. Is this do-able?

Many thanks guys!
Original post by SouRz
Hi there,

I am currently 18 years old (or will be in a week!!) and my policy for my first car insurance ends on November 6th of this year, so not too far away now.

I am looking to get a better car. My car currently only cost me £550 and is an old '99 Corsa. I am now working full time as an apprentice, with a promise of a job when I finish this apprenticeship (January). I am earning £1000 monthly, with an increase to around £1400-£1500 in January (Not too bad, right?).

Anywho, I am looking for a new car but am absolutely stuck. I am tempted by the new Limited Edition Corsa deal, with insurance for £99 and a brand new car for around £230 monthly.. but it's a 5 year deal. That's a huge contract for me to jump in to at 18, I think anyway. I also know the car loses value instantly and so I feel like I would just be "throwing" money away after the first few years.

I really want a car that is within the past few years (2010+ maybe?) but one of my biggest things I am looking for is a built in sat-nav/multimedia system. I am planning to have this car for a couple of years and so I want it to have all the goodies you'd want in a car - air con, electric windows, multimedia system, comfortable seats, 5 doors etc.

Could any of you recommend a car? I am looking at spending £300 a month for both the car and insurance. The car would be financed, either directly or through a bank loan - I won't be able to save enough for a car as of yet due to outgoing payments for holidays and such.

So, to sum it up, a car with a multimedia system, within the past 5 years and insurance all for around £300 a month. Is this do-able?

Many thanks guys!

Yes, it is doable. Especially if you look into leasing.

Your ideal car sounds like my ideal car - nothing flash and speedy, but comfy and well kitted out at a good price.

How about this Astra? The lease is £190 a month.
http://www.hippoleasing.co.uk/personal-lease-cars/vauxhall/astra-hatchback/astra-hatchback-16i-16v-se-5dr-auto-1086264

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending