The Student Room Group

A-Levels are Too Easy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pi/2
Not really, I know quite a significant amount of others who thought the new AS exams were a lot easier than old spec. And I didn't really want to know that.

Good for you
Well you did ask...
Reply 61
Original post by Pi/2
Yep, I'm with OCR MEI for Maths and Further Maths, and yeah, it seems to me that the difficulty of the maths past papers has been increasing. Thanks!

OCR have also got ISA in the exam, but the questions they ask are not that difficult at all - like find the gradient of this line etc.

OCR MEI I though was great for Maths and Further Maths, only did Further at AS like as I thought for A levels would be a lot of work and didn't want to drop physics or Chem, the Maths coursework though gets to be a bit tedious after a while.

I use to hate having to draw a graph, coz it had to more than half the size of the graph paper but the scale wouldn't fit for me so I would trying different scales for ages till one fit, that wasn't stupid like every 3 boxes the axis goes up by 1, and the line of best fit and errors, the thought of them just make me glad they're over for me. Well sort of, now when I do them, Excel does all the work :biggrin:
Original post by fuzz13
Not what I've heard .....

Spoiler

Yeah i'd love to see this guy sit 3 further maths exams and get an A* in the current spec needing 211/225 marks for last years papers anyway:h:

But hey, only dropping 14 marks over 225 marks is easy right??:rolleyes:
Original post by Pi/2
Hi guys, as you can see from the thread title, I pretty much agree that the new a-level exams are too easy, I mean it's not our fault, but obviously the education secretary should change up the a-level playing field. Exam boards are asking ridiculously easy questions, and this is obviously unfair as previous years have sat daunting, but well set exams while we can just essentially sit "Mickey Mouse" exams. It honestly just defeats the purpose of calling these qualifications "A-Levels", the difficulty of these exams are incomparable with the difficulty of GCSE exams. The qualifications should be renamed to General Certificates of Secondary Education because it's honestly quid pro quo.

Oh you find A-levels too easy?

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
That's not how 'QED' works. Please educate yourself.

Huh? FP2 is one of the easiest FM exams.

How easy someone finds something is subjective.
Mind lending me your brain?
Original post by NickLCFC
How does that work?

for my year, to get an A overall in further maths you need 480/600 ums across both AS and A2. so if you get like 290 ums at AS, you only need 190 at A2 (190/300 is a low C) to get an A overall. for the lower years, your AS doesn't count.

this doesn't apply to A*s though - you still need 90% at A2 for an A* (along with 80% across AS and A2)
Original post by Zacken
Huh? FP2 is one of the easiest FM exams.

I think he/she meant this year's FP2 UK, much harder than the IAL
Reply 68
When you try an OCR F215 or F325 and you say it was easy only then I will accept your opinion
Reply 69
Original post by techfan42
I think he/she meant this year's FP2 UK, much harder than the IAL

She does AQA, so she hasn't sat FP2 yet.

(UK Edexcel FP2 wasn't hard. I wrote the model answers for them this morning, seemed standard)
Original post by Pi/2
You'll have a whole 2 years for just 3 exams for each science. It's really not that bad. Yes I know, it's actually called synoptic assessment and I've sat the new AS papers, it's fair to say that they are easier.

I've seen your other threads stating that you are doing your A2 year at the moment. That being the case, you are a liar and also have no idea what the new A Levels are like as you do not study them.

So how about you stop trolling and sit your ass down
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
She does AQA, so she hasn't sat FP2 yet.

(UK Edexcel FP2 wasn't hard. I wrote the model answers for them this morning, seemed standard)

Oh, sorry didn't know. Maybe it wasn't hard, but looking at FP2 IAL, I found that to be much more standard and conventional. The integration by parts and polar curve were a bit unusual, but then again might've been easier for you. (btw thanks for the model answers, hope you keep doing them for other modules too)
Original post by Pi/2
I'm referring to the new AS's.

The new AS exams are standalone - in other words they are a separate qualification to the full A-Level
Reply 73
Original post by techfan42
Oh, sorry didn't know. Maybe it wasn't hard, but looking at FP2 IAL, I found that to be much more standard and conventional. The integration by parts and polar curve were a bit unusual, but then again might've been easier for you. (btw thanks for the model answers, hope you keep doing them for other modules too)

The integration by parts wasn't really required. It was standard CF + PI applied to a first order ODE. The polar curve was annoying in that it had not-very-nice numbers but so did some questions on the IAL. In fact, 9 questions on the IAL paper as well as arg(z-a / z - b) = theta and geometrical reasoning makes IAL less standard than the UK paper this year around, I feel.

And yeah, I'll be making model answers for the other modules, cheers! :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Pi/2
You'll have a whole 2 years for just 3 exams for each science. It's really not that bad. Yes I know, it's actually called synoptic assessment and I've sat the new AS papers, it's fair to say that they are easier.

You do know that the AS papers are now worthless? They are literally taken as mocks, and maybe the examiners did the first year's papers easy for this reason. I think you should wait until Year 13 to make this judgement.
Original post by Pi/2
Quod erat demonstrandum is latin for "which is what had to proven" and its use was perfectly fine. Don't tell me to educate myself you protoplasmic discombobulated jelly.

Please don't try and give anyone a Latin lecture...you'll embarrass yourself, I'll have to correct you, and you'll look even more of a mug.
Original post by Pi/2
That's why I took Maths, Physics and Chemistry and if you are going to put my grammar under scrutiny, you couldn't even use a capital letter after your ellipsis you *******.

I wouldn't be surprised if you've used those asterisks to mask the fact you can't spell the word you wanted.
Original post by iamsherlocked1
I guess that's your opinion.
But for the large majority of students A Levels are definitely tough. A lot of the time AS is the big learning curve, after which people realize they really have to get their act together.

I do Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths and they're not impossible. The first year isn't so bad but you really have to knuckle down for A2.
But two years worth of A Level education all at the end of Year 13 is pretty hefty.

I do the same four subjects and have just finished my EPQ. I actually think A2 is easier in terms of workload than AS. The content is harder but there's less to know overall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pi/2
Hi guys, as you can see from the thread title, I pretty much agree that the new a-level exams are too easy, I mean it's not our fault, but obviously the education secretary should change up the a-level playing field. Exam boards are asking ridiculously easy questions, and this is obviously unfair as previous years have sat daunting, but well set exams while we can just essentially sit "Mickey Mouse" exams. It honestly just defeats the purpose of calling these qualifications "A-Levels", the difficulty of these exams are incomparable with the difficulty of GCSE exams. The qualifications should be renamed to General Certificates of Secondary Education because it's honestly quid pro quo.

OP, your BTEC isn't A level. It might be 'equivalent' but it isnt..
Original post by Pi/2
And you have not made entirely nonsensical threads yourself? E.g "Smiley face is actually a winky face." - definitely sounds like you lead an exciting life! It's not even about random A-Level nonsense either - it was an observation.

Original post by Kyle1198
Good for you
Well you did ask...

Original post by tanyapotter
How easy someone finds something is subjective.

Original post by tcameron
easy exam = higher grade boundaries
so nobody really wins here
I'm in year 13 and honestly would hate having two years of stuff sat in one exam period - but it probably would help with biology where they insist on adding AS stuff to the A2 papers still -__-

Original post by SugarCoatedCart
The new AS exams are standalone - in other words they are a separate qualification to the full A-Level

I find them quite difficult. But he doesn't seem to think so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest