The Student Room Group

WHITE MAN BAN Straight white able bodied men banned from attending top equality confe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wickedisgood
"racismˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/
noun

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

That is the Oxford Dictionary definition of racism.
The reference to inferiority or superiority is where you get into the systematic power structures that racism is built on. For centuries white people have thought they are the kings of the world and have trodden on everyone else to try to prove that. They hold the power in society, and even if a black person was to stand up and say 'black people are better than white people', in the mainstream societal view, white people will hold the superior power and black people will still be distinguished as the inferior minority.

You can discriminate against white people, you cannot be racist to white people.

THAT ALL MEMBERS OF EACH RACE - EACH RACE. Can you even read.

Unless you now think white isn't a race...

Also, "especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

The very fact you're calling us white folk "superior" to other races such as blacks is racist in itself. YOU HYPOCRITE.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
You've really opened my eyes. My life has been changed forever.

The white people turned away from this event aren't oppressed (or compared to dogs) in the way that black people and Irish people were by signs like the one in that photograph. I didn't elaborate because I find it bewildering that anyone can't see that.
Original post by Asiimov
If as a marginalised person *laughs hysterically* you cannot be bothered to explain your "oppression" to someone, then don't expect them to care about it or help you. Its pure laziness. How can it be so important if you can't even take time to explain.

Anyways **** the rest of your trash in text format.

We do not exist to educate you. Plenty of people choose to do so in the most efficient way possible (there are many blogs and vlogs out there that explain certain oppression and why not to say/ask certain things).

But there are two very good reasons that certain spaces are not for educating privileged people:

1. Marginalised people hear the same questions and have the same conversations constantly. You may think that you are only one person but when we explain the same stuff over-and-over it's tiring. When there is plenty of content online to read and watch it's frustrating to have to explain your identity to the 5th person who thinks that despite only having heard about it from you, their opinion is REALLY IMPORTANT.

2. Marginalised people often want to have discussions about how to fight against their oppression and that requires already understanding what that oppression looks like. When people have to stop those discussions to explain why X thing is oppressive it means you can't work towards solving the issue because you spend all the time explaining what the issue is.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
We do not exist to educate you. Plenty of people choose to do so in the most efficient way possible (there are many blogs and vlogs out there that explain certain oppression and why not to say/ask certain things).

But there are two very good reasons that certain spaces are not for educating privileged people:

1. Marginalised people hear the same questions and have the same conversations constantly. You may think that you are only one person but when we explain the same stuff over-and-over it's tiring. When there is plenty of content online to read and watch it's frustrating to have to explain your identity to the 5th person who thinks that despite only having heard about it from you, their opinion is REALLY IMPORTANT.

2. Marginalised people often want to have discussions about how to fight against their oppression and that requires already understanding what that oppression looks like. When people have to stop those discussions to explain why X thing is oppressive it means you can't work towards solving the issue because you spend all the time explaining what the issue is.

If you don't want to educate us on your own point of view, then I have no desire to listen to it or help you. So goodbye.
Original post by Asiimov
If you don't want to educate us on your own point of view, then I have no desire to listen to it or help you. So goodbye.

I'm actually trying to educate you now. Not about specific oppressions but about why sometimes privileged people don't have a space in conversations about oppression.
Original post by RayApparently
The white people turned away from this event aren't oppressed (or compared to dogs) in the way that black people and Irish people were by signs like the one in that photograph. I didn't elaborate because I find it bewildering that anyone can't see that.

Thankfully most of us have moved on from a time when that was considered acceptable. The hypocrisy of the current event under discussion remains all the same.

As a straight white male I don't feel remotely offended by this conference, I just find it laughable.:smile:
"Whites have all the power and aren't discriminated against!" say the hypocrites who are obviously exercising the power to discriminate against white people. "They don't know oppression!" say the free, educated hypocrite millennials living comfortably in a Western democracy. But it's not their fault, really. It's the lunatic liberal arts professors filling their heads with contrived nonsense who are to blame.

You've read too much into it.
You've read too much into it.

Too much into what? You said it was the same, I said it wasn't and explained why. Are you saying you were joking/being sarcastic?
Original post by JamesN88
Thankfully most of us have moved on from a time when that was considered acceptable. The hypocrisy of the current event under discussion remains all the same.

As a straight white male I don't feel remotely offended by this conference, I just find it laughable.:smile:

I think the Union's decision is stupid. But the people who are complaining about how awfully racist it is need to shut up.
Good. We must learn our place

[video="youtube;_tEiguYmgxA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEiguYmgxA[/video]
I do not understand how this isn't seen as badly as stuff like this:

It's exactly the same thing, just under different reasoning.

Well they had to endure it off whites for many years, now it's time for revenge, you can't tolerate it for a tiny period when others have for ****ing. Decades! :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY
Well they had to endure it off whites for many years, now it's time for revenge, you can't tolerate it for a tiny period when others have for ****ing. Decades! :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol do you even reasoning
Original post by SMEGGGY

An eye for an eye always was a terrible outlook.

Too much into what? You said it was the same, I said it wasn't and explained why. Are you saying you were joking/being sarcastic?

I was referring more to the specific act rather than the wider context.
Original post by SmallTownGirl

Like MTV? :lol:

Like Laci Green and Anita Sarkeesian? :toofunny:

The SJW vlog crowd is a joke.
Racism against white people is not a thing. You can be prejudiced to white people, you can't be racist. Racism is based on systematic oppression and power structures that suggest that there is a race that is superior to others. White people have the power in society and do not experience oppression on the basis of their race, therefore it's not racism..

So you don't think groups like Eastern Europeans ever suffer racism? You have never seen the Daily Mail generalising and denigrating Romanian people for example?
"White people cannot suffer racism"

Like Never have I ever seen so many retards appear on one thread.
Reply 117
"racismˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/
noun

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

That is the Oxford Dictionary definition of racism.
The reference to inferiority or superiority is where you get into the systematic power structures that racism is built on. For centuries white people have thought they are the kings of the world and have trodden on everyone else to try to prove that. They hold the power in society, and even if a black person was to stand up and say 'black people are better than white people', in the mainstream societal view, white people will hold the superior power and black people will still be distinguished as the inferior minority.

You can discriminate against white people, you cannot be racist to white people.

The key part of the definition is "the belief" it is entirely possible for a person of any race to hold the belief that their race is superior in some way to another, your interpretation legitimises racism if the perpetrator is part of a minority group.

What? Do you not keep up with events in places like South Africa? Racism against whites is very ****ing prominent.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Is there a reason you are using an ape gif? Are you trying to imply something?

You are the most racist and fascist person on this entire forum.

Anyone you disagrees with you = Fascist. You do realise that this complete intolerance and inability/unwillingness to understand the opinions and arguments of anyone different to yourself is one of the key facets of being a fascist.

You also look, as your statement here proves, for racial connections where none exist. Do you realise that this, for most sane people, serves only to highlight possible deep-rooted racial discriminations within yourself?

Seriously, every time I look at one of your comments I am struck by their sheer stupidity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending