The Student Room Group

Would you rather be extremley rich or extremley smart?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say there's a correlation between rich people and smart people. Also your title implies that one would be "stupid" if I choose to be rich. So I'm going to have to choose being smart.
You guys highly over-estimate intelligence - it's not all its perceived to be, quite the opposite in fact.Too much intelligence is a mistake.
Reply 22
Original post by The_JoKeR
You guys highly over-estimate intelligence - it's not all its perceived to be, quite the opposite in fact.Too much intelligence is a mistake.

Could you give an example of how its a mistake?
Original post by 34908seikj
I'd say there's a correlation between rich people and smart people. Also your title implies that one would be "stupid" if I choose to be rich. So I'm going to have to choose being smart.

Wealth is correlated with smartness , but being super smart doesn't imply at all that you'll be super rich (just think of all those scientists and mathematicians , most of them have fortunes of about a million which is not even comparable to Trump's fortune ).
If someone wants to be rich I wouldn't advise him/her to be super smart as well , there are so many easier ways to become very rich why bother thinking ?
Reply 24
I want $$$£££

I feel the whole point of being a genius is to prosper anyway.
Original post by Vesniep
Wealth is correlated with smartness , but being super smart doesn't imply at all that you'll be super rich (just think of all those scientists and mathematicians , most of them have fortunes of about a million which is not even comparable to Trump's fortune ).
If someone wants to be rich I wouldn't advise him/her to be super smart as well , there are so many easier ways to become very rich why bother thinking ?

My train of thought was more towards making smart business decisions (think warren buffet and Donald trump), not necessarily mathematicians and scientists, but lots of extremely smart scientists are wealthy as a result of inventing "things".
Money is useless unless you know how to use it, thus brains would be more effective as you are more inclined to become wealthy due to your ability of being exceptionally smart!
Definitely rich.
Original post by CCGI
Could you give an example of how its a mistake?

Mhm, lets see... Too much intelligence leads you to think about life and the such too deeply which leads to depression. Do you know how many highly intelligent people suicide due to self-induced depression? A lot.
Extremely smart so I can become extremely rich.
rich as i'm already smart
Smart!
I could then become rich with my intelligence!
Original post by Changing Skies
Definitely smart. I'm sure if I was that smart I could find a way to use it to get rich anyway :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If youre going to be smart to get rich you might as well just be rich??? Its easier to be rich and do nothing and have fun all the time
Original post by connormc199
Money is useless unless you know how to use it, thus brains would be more effective as you are more inclined to become wealthy due to your ability of being exceptionally smart!

good point :smile:
Original post by Madeline_H95
If youre going to be smart to get rich you might as well just be rich??? Its easier to be rich and do nothing and have fun all the time

I'd like to be known for being rich for doing something groundbreaking :tongue:
I'd rather be rich, so that I can immediately use my vast wealth to bring about great change in the world.

Even if becoming rich requires that I sacrifice my intelligence; you don't need to be intelligent to use your money wisely. You can just hire secretaries to manage your money for you. All you need is a strong enough mental capacity to have a general idea of what you want to do with your money.
Extremely smart.
You can be smart and make money but you can't buy more brains for money. I choose smart :colonhash:
Rich. Being overly smart would lead to isolation. Being very smart doesn't guarantee money.
Smart as that way you can leave a permanent legacy in the world with advancing humanity and working on the big problems we face now against our survival and in our hardships ( medicine, starvation, global warming) While money will get u remembered for only a few generations of your descendents.

Quick Reply

Latest