The Student Room Group

CCEA GCSE exams 2016 *official only CCEA thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katie389
I actually thought Biology was okay, I was freaking out this morning because I thought I knew literally nothing, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected!

What 6mark questions did u get?
There was one on osmosis and another on different forms of contraception

Aw good enough then! Two good and relatively easy topics

We had one on ivf and pastuer the ledgend which were easy too!
Original post by Cluster1
**** I thought it was transpiration environmental factors

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was. Wind speed/temp/humidity etc are all answers.
Haha, was a complete guess when I wrote down about Red Blood Cell's bursting due to lysis because they have no cell wall! That was a 5 marker too.

What did you guys write for why the lung cancer increased in 2009 when the 2008 ban was introduced?

Takes time for cancer to develop to get start showing symptoms?, had no idea to be fair.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jackcoys
Anyone do Biology Unit 2 today and want to discuss?

x. Purpose of amniotic fluid? I said to absorb impact.
x. 2 Osomsis environmental factors? Can't believe I forgot about this one in the exam, but I said temperature and pH. I'm pretty sure I won't get the mark for pH.
x. How can we tell from this diagram that fertilisation is occurring? I said that the nucleus of the sperm was touching/in contact with the egg cell.
x. Suggest the (according to the diagram) rate of blood flow in the capillaries. According to my friends this had something to do with pressure. I said that it moves at a slower rate to allow time for gasses to diffuse but I just evidence that it was because it was going upwards, I couldn't include pressure because it asked to use the diagram.

x I said the same for the amniotic fluid one.
x For the transpiration question, I said temp and the amount or light that enters the room? I'll probably not get the mark for light but oh well
x For the fertilisation, I said that there were no other sperm present that have already fertilised the egg as well as the fact that they were fusing.
x Imentioned pressure because the capillary was so small (only one red blood cell can pass through) that the pressure inside it caused the gases to diffuse out of it.
Original post by chemistrynerd13
Did you find the proof for that question a bit weird. It probably wasn't hard but I got a similar equation and then just wrote (-400 for each) at the end and got the equation. How many marks out of 3 is that?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea the wording was quite weird I think, luckily I had about 30 minutes to go through it haha

I just started using my equation to the previous part (1000x-2x^2) then used the info from the question (-£400 and -£20,000 flight cost) then put them into my previous equation and I think I got it right

I'd say you probably got either 2 or full marks for that, as long as you showed clearly what you were doing :smile:
Original post by Vickyahunter
YESSSS you have made my day. I was so unsure about that question but now that you've said that I'm over the moon!

No problem haha and it's definitely right don't worry:

P = 600x - 2x^2 - 20,000
dP/dx = 600 - 4x
4x = 600
x = 150

And it's a maximum value:

d^2P/dx^2 = -4
- 4 < 0 therefore max :smile:
Original post by Cbeattie740
Yea the wording was quite weird I think, luckily I had about 30 minutes to go through it haha

I just started using my equation to the previous part (1000x-2x^2) then used the info from the question (-£400 and -£20,000 flight cost) then put them into my previous equation and I think I got it right

I'd say you probably got either 2 or full marks for that, as long as you showed clearly what you were doing :smile:

Thanks. My further maths teacher did the paper for us and we were able to check our answers and I think I got around 91 marks. It was much better than last years.
Good luck to everybody doing mechanics and statistics.. I hope you all get a great paper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

P = 600x - 2x^2 - 20,000
dP/dx = 600 - 4x
4x = 600
x = 150

d^2P/dx^2 = -4

Yup I got that! Thank you! I really don't want to do paper 2 but I can't wait for my exams to be over. As soon as my physics finishes I'll be away on holiday and I can not wait!! 😀😀
Original post by jackcoys
It was. Wind speed/temp/humidity etc are all answers.

Oh good lol I wrote temp and humidity

Posted from TSR Mobile

P = 600x - 2x^2 - 20,000
dP/dx = 600 - 4x
4x = 600
x = 150

d^2P/dx^2 = -4

That wasn't the graph question was it? ahahaha. I distinctly remember getting a minimum value for the graph question, yet i deffo got 150 for the turning point question
What insulin did people choose? X Y or Z?
Any DAS unit 2 physics predicitons??
Original post by Sugarsweet2
What insulin did people choose? X Y or Z?

X if I recall correctly. My explanation was a bit waffly, though.
Reply 996
anyone doing unit 2 chemistry on Wednesday?
Original post by RIPme

Me!
Original post by RIPme

Me!
1000th post on this thread! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Quick Reply

Latest