The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="sarahellens;65899566"]
Original post by aeroline1999

No one is saying that is it ever easy but there are students who have way higher difficult lives and have to cope with everything ur dealing with at the same time. For example, my friend also stays up till 4 am every night studying cause her mum is disabled so when she gets home she has to cook and clean and look after everyone. The most sleep she has ever gotten is 3 hours. You need to u derstand that is it hard for you but your lucky in many ways. Becuase you have to opportunity to learn well and go home and study. Your teachers may not be good but at least they are there. For example, i go to every bad school. I am doing A2 levels and 5 of my teachers have left. One of my science teachers is a techinian who doesnt know how to spell science. Life is hard for everyone but some people are dealt with *****y hand than others. So systems have to be made fair becuase life hasnt been fair to them. Why should you get the same opportunitys as the them when life us constantly harder on them then you? They delt with so much yet have achieved the same you. Like my friend with disabled mum got slightly better grades then me.

Everybody has difficulty in their lives and assuming that someone else somehow has it easier just because they go to a good school. I know someone who spent their time at my school suffering from physical and sexual abuse from one of their family members, which they had to contend with. So just because someone goes to a good school does not mean they don't have difficulties in their lives.
[QUOTE="aeroline1999;65900464"]
Original post by sarahellens

Everybody has difficulty in their lives and assuming that someone else somehow has it easier just because they go to a good school. I know someone who spent their time at my school suffering from physical and sexual abuse from one of their family members, which they had to contend with. So just because someone goes to a good school does not mean they don't have difficulties in their lives.

Lool i didnt say that its do with being at good or bad school. I am just sayung that the system is as fair as it can be. No system is ever be truly fair. But every system has to take into account every individuals circumstances. Scholarships are based on wide range of things. Again ur misunderstanding. We werent talking just about bad or good schools but policies that uni put to try make things fair but u think is unfair
(edited 7 years ago)
Well my parents grew up in a very working class area of Scotland. My grandad used to work in shipbuilding in the 1980s, and we all know how that went down. So my Dad spent much of his childhood in near poverty and he was expected to get also go into ship building but after the yards closed, obviously he couldn't. He ended up going to university after being encouraged by a teacher to go. He left university and moved down to London, and after about 10 years he'd started to do quite well for himself. And so I basically grew up in London's middle class suburbs and have lived quite a comfortable life so far, so I don't really think I could describe myself as working class at all.

Oh I see. In that case your parents are probably 'middle class'. Unless they're the type who prefer to think of themselves as working class due to some kind of romanticism.
Original post by RayApparently
Oh I see. In that case your parents are probably 'middle class'. Unless they're the type who prefer to think of themselves as working class due to some kind of romanticism.

Haha! I think if anyone ever said to them that they were "middle class" they'd have a fit! Economically they definitely are, but I think they think middle class people are just really pretentious and up their own a***
Haha! I think if anyone ever said to them that they were "middle class" they'd have a fit! Economically they definitely are, but I think they think middle class people are just really pretentious and up their own a***

Yeah, I know the type. :biggrin:
Original post by RayApparently
Yeah, I know the type. :biggrin:

Oh well, what can you do. Its funny because they occasionally take the p**** out of me for my middle class southern accent.
You are certainly justified in your concern and it is certainly a real problem, honestly I'm not sure what to do...
Original post by DeathlyCrane
You are certainly justified in your concern and it is certainly a real problem, honestly I'm not sure what to do...

No they’re not and no it isn’t.

Race, ethnicity and sexuality answers are not shared with universities until the end of the admissions cycle and there’s always the option to put “prefer not to say”.

Latest

Trending

Trending