The Student Room Group

11-16 vs 11-18 PGCE - does it matter which one?

Hi,

I will be applying for a secondary Geography PGCE for 2017 entry. When browsing the various universities that offer this, I have noticed some of them state that they provide experience/training across the 11-18 age ranges and others that they are 11-16 (and 16-18 is not formally assessed).

Does it matter whether I take a PGCE without the 16-18 training especially if I currently intend to work in a school with a sixth form? i.e: would I be disadvantaged at interview?

Thank you!
I'm not an expert as I've yet to start my PGDE, but I really can't see how not having experience/training around teaching 16-18 year olds when you would like to work at a school with a 6th form can be anything other than a disadvantage.
Reply 2
If your goal is sixth form, go for 11-18. I would even consider a PGCE in FE if you want sixth form.
Reply 3
Original post by S27
If your goal is sixth form, go for 11-18. I would even consider a PGCE in FE if you want sixth form.

What is a PGCE in FE? Is that a separate to a "normal" PGCE?
Reply 4
Original post by girlygiggle

Yes, just like you can do a PGCE in early years, primary or secondary, you can do one in further education.

You can do courses which give QTLS rather than QTS status (which is what you need to teach, not PGCE). QTLS is targeted at teaching only 16-18 year olds and is a qualification aimed at those teaching at colleges. QTS allows you to teach the full range and it ultimately more flexible. I've seen some debating over whether QTLS allows you to teach at secondary level, but the advice is conflicting over whether it does or whether you would also need to get QTS. There is also debate over how competitive QTLS would be with QTS during job applications. I can't claim to know the answer myself.

I suggest you do some research, TES is a great resource as a start.
Reply 6
Original post by S27
Yes, just like you can do a PGCE in early years, primary or secondary, you can do one in further education.

Original post by Elivercury
You can do courses which give QTLS rather than QTS status (which is what you need to teach, not PGCE). QTLS is targeted at teaching only 16-18 year olds and is a qualification aimed at those teaching at colleges. QTS allows you to teach the full range and it ultimately more flexible. I've seen some debating over whether QTLS allows you to teach at secondary level, but the advice is conflicting over whether it does or whether you would also need to get QTS. There is also debate over how competitive QTLS would be with QTS during job applications. I can't claim to know the answer myself.

I suggest you do some research, TES is a great resource as a start.

I definitely want to teach secondary level most of all, so would you both suggest going for a course that's 11-18, rather than 11-16? If I was to choose a provider with 11-16, would I still be able to teach sixth form?
I definitely want to teach secondary level most of all, so would you both suggest going for a course that's 11-18, rather than 11-16? If I was to choose a provider with 11-16, would I still be able to teach sixth form?

Look at the qualification you get. If you get QTS you can teach all the way up to sixth form. I assume given they both cover 11-16 they would both provide this qualification and both allow you to teach at 6th form level.

However as previously stated, if you have zero experience teaching 6th form because you did the 11-16 placement, this is obviously going to make getting a 6th form related job more difficult, regardless of your qualification, because you are lacking in experience.

Personally, unless the 11-16 has something that makes it seem superior to the 11-18 option, I would certainly be looking at the 11-18 placement myself.
Reply 8
Original post by Elivercury
Look at the qualification you get. If you get QTS you can teach all the way up to sixth form. I assume given they both cover 11-16 they would both provide this qualification and both allow you to teach at 6th form level.

However as previously stated, if you have zero experience teaching 6th form because you did the 11-16 placement, this is obviously going to make getting a 6th form related job more difficult, regardless of your qualification, because you are lacking in experience.

Personally, unless the 11-16 has something that makes it seem superior to the 11-18 option, I would certainly be looking at the 11-18 placement myself.

Super helpful, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending