The Student Room Group

I'm 16 and want to move out, could I have some help?

Basically i have been with my boyfriend now for 9 months, and he is 23. I am very happy with him and completely in love with him. My parents constantly give me verbal abuse and im sick of it. They're affectinf my relationship alot aswell as myself. They have said several times that they want me out of the house. Moving in with my boyfriend i would be in no danger and i would be working aswell as attending college. I realise that it would be difficult to start off with but as i get older it'l become easier as i would have finished education and would start a full time job. I just don't know if i can legally move out at 16 in the UK. I have been looking on several websites and childline says that i can move out without my parents consent. Whilst others say that i need my parents consent and that i need to prove that i am not in danger... Can anyone help? Thank you x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Basically i have been with my boyfriend now for 9 months, and he is 23. I am very happy with him and completely in love with him. My parents constantly give me verbal abuse and im sick of it. They're affectinf my relationship alot aswell as myself. They have said several times that they want me out of the house. Moving in with my boyfriend i would be in no danger and i would be working aswell as attending college. I realise that it would be difficult to start off with but as i get older it'l become easier as i would have finished education and would start a full time job. I just don't know if i can legally move out at 16 in the UK. I have been looking on several websites and childline says that i can move out without my parents consent. Whilst others say that i need my parents consent and that i need to prove that i am not in danger... Can anyone help? Thank you x

In absolutely no way am I judging the age gap, however I feel as though maybe that is why your parents are concerned. You are very young and your boyfriend is a lot older. However, on a separate note, I was with my boyfriend for 4 years when I turned 17 and I thought it would last forever! It sounds a cliche but 9 months really mightn't be so long to get to know someone, especially when they're much older. My advice is to wait a little, it's true that you need your parents' permission to move out and for the life of me I don't get on with my parents but at 16, unless your boyfriend is in the position to financially support you both of it comes to it, your focus should be your college work. Stick it out a couple of years, you'll be moving out before you know it and you'll need all the money you can get, especially if you're going to University! Hope this helps x
Reply 2
IMO I was getting annoyed at home as well, similar situation. Now that I've finished college and I'm off to Uni, I'm glad I didn't make the decision to move out (I have a job too, and could afford to) purely because of the money I've saved. That money has now gone towards me getting my driving license, and I'm hoping to have passed before starting Uni.

Honestly, it's up to you, but you're going to save a ton of money if you wait until Uni. Is it worth it right now? Sometimes we just have to stick things out. I know where you are coming from though.

As well as that, I have a relative who moved out with his partner and a year down the line it all crumbled and he racked up massive debt.

hi are you sleeping with the guy don't you think you are a bit too young for him also don't throw away your education maybe you could still go to university

You'll need to get a job and get out, I don't know the full story so I can't say but I think 16 years old and 18 years old is a big gap but 16 and 23!?
Reply 5
Original post by ckfeister
You'll need to get a job and get out, I don't know the full story so I can't say but I think 16 years old and 18 years old is a big gap but 16 and 23!?

Excuse me? I didn't ask you to judge me.or give an opinion on the age gap. Yes i dont know what love is at this young age, but i do feel like i am honestly in love with him. If you havent been with someone older than yourself then don't say anything. Our age gap isn't relevant and we are both very happy. Alot of people have big age gaps. Celebrities and normal people. Just because i am 16 atm i understand that it is a bit of a shock atm. But i have always been a bit more mature than my acctual age. I am also aware that once i get older the age gap won't sound as bad.
Reply 6
Original post by Sicudeh
IMO I was getting annoyed at home as well, similar situation. Now that I've finished college and I'm off to Uni, I'm glad I didn't make the decision to move out (I have a job too, and could afford to) purely because of the money I've saved. That money has now gone towards me getting my driving license, and I'm hoping to have passed before starting Uni.

Honestly, it's up to you, but you're going to save a ton of money if you wait until Uni. Is it worth it right now? Sometimes we just have to stick things out. I know where you are coming from though.

As well as that, I have a relative who moved out with his partner and a year down the line it all crumbled and he racked up massive debt.

Honestly ive been thinking of moving out to one of my family members but sadly they live abroad. And now i have a boyfriend and im very happy with him id really like to move in with him. I understand it'll be hard but i honestly think that we're going to last. Im not just another stupid young kid who thinks they're in love. Its sad to say that people from on me im bcos of my age. But thank you for your nice response :smile:
Excuse me? I didn't ask you to judge me.or give an opinion on the age gap. Yes i dont know what love is at this young age, but i do feel like i am honestly in love with him. If you havent been with someone older than yourself then don't say anything. Our age gap isn't relevant and we are both very happy. Alot of people have big age gaps. Celebrities and normal people. Just because i am 16 atm i understand that it is a bit of a shock atm. But i have always been a bit more mature than my acctual age. I am also aware that once i get older the age gap won't sound as bad.

18 and 20 here, but when your 18 years old and you see 16 year olds you'll see what people mean when they see 16 and 23...
I'm not judging your relationship based on the age gap, but I have to say, personally if my daughter of 16 was dating a 23 year old I'd be concerned. I'm not saying you don't love your boyfriend, love can definitely be real at 16, but typically guys like a 'younger girl' and knowing your barely legal and him persisting with this would make me hesistant as a parent. Not what you wanted to hear, but just justifying it for them.

With the advice you wanted - I would still stay at home. Save your money up and wait for the best opportunity to leave, not just as soon as you can. You need your parents consent to move out and if you move out anyway and he was to let you live there he could get into trouble.

Good luck OP, and feel free to message me if you need too!
Honestly ive been thinking of moving out to one of my family members but sadly they live abroad. And now i have a boyfriend and im very happy with him id really like to move in with him. I understand it'll be hard but i honestly think that we're going to last. Im not just another stupid young kid who thinks they're in love. Its sad to say that people from on me im bcos of my age. But thank you for your nice response :smile:

Every single sixteen year old will say the same thing, that they are not like the others and this is real. It might be real. He could be the one you spend the rest of your life with. He might not be.

You have to think about how you keep yourself stable and safe. I moved out at 17, and it was crazy hard. I had a girlfriend at the time who I'd been with for about the same length of time as you but I knew that it would be too soon to live together. I found myself a place in halls while I completed my college course and funded it through my college's hardship fund. Those funds are pretty much all dried up now for everything but the very worst of cases. Even with that funding I was living in absolute poverty. I had about £8 a week to live on and it was hard. I fell out with my girlfriend several times over silly things because I was stressed, depressed and having a really horrible time but I was stuck between not wanting to move back in with my parents and not being able to afford to exist. My girlfriend and I are still together now, 12 and a half years later but it was tough. We lived with each other for a year when I was 19, we lived at her parents house together for the last few years and we've just bought a home. Living together is not easy. Relying on somebody else will not be an easy thing to do regardless of age, or love, or anything else really.

If something happened and you fell out with your boyfriend, where would you go? What do you do if you find yourself in a bad situation? You'll be spending money on rent from a very early age that you could be saving so that when you really do move out you can be comfortable, safe and independent.

At 16, parents really suck and they feel like the worst people in the world but don't move too fast because of that. If your homelife is dangerous then speak out but think long and hard before you try and support yourself. It's hard and horrible being an adult with financial ties. If you aim for uni you'll be out in two years with funding and the foundation to get yourself settled and stable.
I'd try to survive the time until finishing your high-school. If you get a place in a uni in a different city it could be a great start to move together with your boyfriend. Just try to understand you parents - they see you as a little girl and your boyfriend seems like a thief, getting you from them. Let them be happy at least two years from now with you, you'll have much more time to live with your boyfriend/husband after you'll become officially adult.
Original post by ckfeister
18 and 20 here, but when your 18 years old and you see 16 year olds you'll see what people mean when they see 16 and 23...

Im sorry but some people are more mature for their age, and i naturally am i dont try to be. Im not trying to rush my life but my parents have been giving me grief dince i was 12.. theyve given me a really hard time through my gcses and now im worried about being even more stressed throughout college. My friends have always been older and i naturally get on with people older than me. But thank you, if you knew what sort of person i am like I'm sure it would change your perspective on myself and my boyfriends age gap.
Original post by karl pilkington
hi are you sleeping with the guy don't you think you are a bit too young for him also don't throw away your education maybe you could still go to university

So if was in a relationship with someone my age who drinks all the time, has problems with the police, does drugs or is unloyalful, disrespectful and rude. It would be ok that i sleep with him just because he is my age? Anyways that is an intimate question and no i do not sleep with him.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Pretty sure you can't move out 16+ whenever you like. If your parents are abusive then the first thing to do is to have a sit down/involve a mediator

you can though...i moved out at 15 of my own free will and have lived independantly (spelt wrong i know) since, and im really happy for it and dont regret it
Contact your local council's social services department.
Reply 15
9 months? He should be charged for rape. You can't give consent.
Original post by zayn008

She's 16, legally she can consent, so no he shouldn't be charged for rape.

However, the 7 year age difference at that age is a bit... unusual.

Anyway, OP: moving in with someone after only 9 months of being with them is short-sighted. Even if we ignore the amount of time you've known each other, what would happen if he broke up with you? Could you go back to your parents place?
If yes, there's no point in leaving. If no, there's no point in leaving.
Reply 17
Original post by Drunk Punx
She's 16, legally she can consent, so no he shouldn't be charged for rape.

However, the 7 year age difference at that age is a bit... unusual.

Unless she's turning 17 in the next 3 months, that's why I said 9 months because I'm guessing those 9 months go back to when she was 15
Original post by shawtyb
you can though...i moved out at 15 of my own free will and have lived independantly (spelt wrong i know) since, and im really happy for it and dont regret it

How did you move out at 15 sorry just out of interest, are you UK based?x
Original post by zayn008

He didn acctually ask me to be in a relationship until my birthday when i did turn 16 so i could give consent and my parents and his are accepting of the relationship aswell. But i guess you'd say "we were seeing eachother back then"? There has been no physical action going on so why would he be charged with rape??..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending