The Student Room Group

a level english language coursework help

I am currently planning my a level english language coursework and I am hoping to do it around how males and females exert power in conversation. I have no idea what to do can someone help me with what primary/secondary data, reasearch, specific question etc, can be around thank you so much
xx
Original post by li1234
I am currently planning my a level english language coursework and I am hoping to do it around how males and females exert power in conversation. I have no idea what to do can someone help me with what primary/secondary data, reasearch, specific question etc, can be around thank you so much
xx

For primary research, you will need to transcribe a conversation between a male and female, listen and watch YouTube videos of males and females conversing for secondary research. Look up gender theorists and read their theories and investigations too. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by li1234
xx

Hey, perhaps you could do it on power within the classroom and find transcripts online to analyse, or even observe lessons and make your own transcripts.

Alternatively, you could consider a different topic besides language and gender as it is a bit dull.

for my coursework this year I did it on ' How has the language used in Apple's print adverts evolved over time ' and for this I basically just got a load of posters and annotated them and then did a section on each constituent e.g. lexis and said about how it had change e.g. I made a table with types of pronouns used and tallied up how many times they used ' you ' ect, and then you can make easy links to context e.g.fewer personal pronouns reflects the fact that Apple has become a global company and so trying to speak to the customer on a one to one basis would've be effective, and then throughout I made links to language and power and it was easy to add in theories as well like Grice's Maxims, fairclough ect .. I would really recommend picking this for a topic... you could do something like how has the language used in some fashion brand changed over time ? btw. I got an A* for this so thats why i think it is a worthwhile topic

but again when looking at your gender idea you could do something like find transcripts of conversations between work colleagues and consider how power relationships and gender differences work... perhaps find transcripts from a show such as big brother or even the apprentice...

you could find a couple of episodes of big brother where there has been major arguments and then make your own transcripts based on them and then talk about how language is used to exert power ?
Reply 3
Original post by fefssdf
Hey, perhaps you could do it on power within the classroom and find transcripts online to analyse, or even observe lessons and make your own transcripts.

Alternatively, you could consider a different topic besides language and gender as it is a bit dull.

for my coursework this year I did it on ' How has the language used in Apple's print adverts evolved over time ' and for this I basically just got a load of posters and annotated them and then did a section on each constituent e.g. lexis and said about how it had change e.g. I made a table with types of pronouns used and tallied up how many times they used ' you ' ect, and then you can make easy links to context e.g.fewer personal pronouns reflects the fact that Apple has become a global company and so trying to speak to the customer on a one to one basis would've be effective, and then throughout I made links to language and power and it was easy to add in theories as well like Grice's Maxims, fairclough ect .. I would really recommend picking this for a topic... you could do something like how has the language used in some fashion brand changed over time ? btw. I got an A* for this so thats why i think it is a worthwhile topic

but again when looking at your gender idea you could do something like find transcripts of conversations between work colleagues and consider how power relationships and gender differences work... perhaps find transcripts from a show such as big brother or even the apprentice...

you could find a couple of episodes of big brother where there has been major arguments and then make your own transcripts based on them and then talk about how language is used to exert power ?

That is a really good idea thank you so much!, however how would you find the posters over time and what years would you do ? because i am still unsure what you would use for primary/secondary research x:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by li1234
That is a really good idea thank you so much!, however how would you find the posters over time and what years would you do ? because i am still unsure what you would use for primary/secondary research x:smile:

for the apple posters I actually found a website which had a whole catalogue of them which was really good - you literally just have to google it I'm afraid and see what comes up. Like search ' sainsbury poster 1980' and it should come up ect
Reply 5
Original post by fefssdf
for the apple posters I actually found a website which had a whole catalogue of them which was really good - you literally just have to google it I'm afraid and see what comes up. Like search ' sainsbury poster 1980' and it should come up ect

Aaaaah thank you :smile: Im justv having to write my proposal form and puttinmg lists of methodology and 3 types of primary/secondary research etc. thank you x
Reply 6
Original post by li1234
xx

unnamed.jpg ------> sainsburys advert from 1970
Attachment not found

1990 sainsburys advert.jpg 1990 sainsburys advert

advert from 1980 also for sainsburys
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by li1234
Aaaaah thank you :smile: Im justv having to write my proposal form and puttinmg lists of methodology and 3 types of primary/secondary research etc. thank you x

Do you want me to send me all of my coursework bits over email and you can see what sort of thing you need for the high marks - it will help you with the structure ?
Hello, is there any chance you could send me the notes too please? im struggling with my coursework at the moment and it would be great to have a bit of guidance. Thanks
Reply 9
Hi
I did my a-level English Language coursework on gender differences and have since done a university assignment on the same thing.
I don't have access to my course work anymore but I can give you a few suggestions for books that are easy enough to read and have a lot of theory in them.

1. An introduction to Sociolinguistics by Janet Holmes (2008) - has a really good chapter on gender in language
2. Power and Politeness in the Workplace by J.Holmes and Maria Stubbe (2003) - really good for theory on power in conversation both between men and women and in other situations too.
3. Language and Women's Place by Lakoff and Bucholtz (2004)
4. Language in Society by Romaine (2000)
5. Language and Gender by Mary Talbot (2010)

Anything by people such as Janet Holmes, Deborah Cameron, Deborah Tannen, Deborah Jones, Dale Spender, Jennifer Coates, Robin Lakoff, Pamela Fishman should all be really relevant as they are all key theorists in Gender theory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending